Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quintessential Aussie and Kiwi Tunes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

shane86 wrote: »

*: Sweet mother of God, Tooheys New makes Dutch Gold seem like a contender for awards at Oktoberfest. I can count on one hand the amt of undrinkable brands of beer I have had (Prazyky, Fink Brau and one more French beer whos name escapes me) but holy god Tooheys New just takes the piss. Aussies dont seem to realise it is so cheap due to the (presumably) near zero costs of producing that rubbish. My mate has turned into a long haired flip flop wearing surfing Tooheys schooner drinking Aussie. Schooners are the girliest method of beer drinking Ive ever seen, proper pint of Heineken for me thanks :D

What...the...feck.

I cant even go into the things wrong with this.

AND ITS THONGS* no pansy flip-flops in Aussieland.

*Although I did get into trouble with this in Ireland when I was going to La Hinch and said I was going to wear my thongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

shane86 wrote:
    Schooners are the girliest method of beer drinking Ive ever seen, proper pint of Heineken for me thanks
    Jumpy wrote: »
    What...the...feck...
    That is what I thought too.

I would be a long haired flip flop wearing surfing Tooheys schooner drinking Aussie any day rather than some fat Irish bloke with a cheap barber cut wearing a Celtic jersey, tight levi jeans the make your balls shrink, clumpy looking shoes and extremely pasty and spotty looking skin from too much pints and crappy food.

Anyway this thread is about Aussie / Kiwi music so if ya don't like it GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

ok, back on topic boys. Lets keep the post and chat to Aussie/kiwi music not hot room mates or beer. We have threads for those (ok, we have a beer thread but go to the off topic thread to discuss hawt room mates please!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Excellent thread some great tunes hidden amongst the madness :)

This fecking thing has been stuck in my head for 8 months...

and that John Farnham post way back made me go luck for another version.....LOOK-HE CAN STILL SING BEGORRAHH! Fair play :)

:)

Also I didnt see the Black Seeds mentionned anywhere:

pclancy wrote: »
    Also I didnt see the Black Seeds mentionned anywhere...
    Good call. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds were probably one of the best gigs I have been to in a long time even though it was back in the 1990's!

I swear I have been to a gig since then :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

dSTAR wrote: »
    Good call. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds were probably one of the best gigs I have been to in a long time even though it was back in the 1990's!

I swear I have been to a gig since then :o

Eeeh, I think eh said Black Seeds, rather than Bad Seeds. Two different bands.

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Eeeh, I think eh said Black Seeds, rather than Bad Seeds. Two different bands.
    Ooops my bad. Misread. Scratch that last statement :o

Although fair play to ye, the Bad Seeds are a waaaay better band than the friggin Black Seeds.

TBH I don't even know the Black Seeds :-s

You're not missing much. They're a Wellington dub band, similar to Fat Freddy's Drop and Salmonella Dub. All right for background music, but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah its just dub, nothing amazingly progressive or influencing but sweet for a day on the deck with beers and some greenery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Cant wait to get a CD on the iPod, I bought of a digiridoo (sp) player performing with speakers blasting techno near the opera house. A girl in the hostel called it touristy selling out- pfft, I call it musical evolution :) Well worth picking up if you walk around there.

The music here (not necessarily Aussie) in the clubs is jaw dropping brilliant compared to the cheese back home.

The music here (not necessarily Aussie) in the clubs is jaw dropping brilliant compared to the cheese back home.
    I actually found it the other way around. Ireland being so close to England and mainland Europe was exposed to some of the better stuff coming out of there before it reached Australia thats if it even made down under.

Not many DJ's actually travel down here unless they are big names and can pull in a decent crowd whereas in Ireland you get fairly well known DJ's dropping in all the time. For its size I think Ireland has produced some quality DJ's compared to the Aussie counterparts which play a lot more cheeze imo.

I was in Ireland during the whole rave explosion in the 1990's and have to say it was a lot more advanced than the club culture that followed here a few years after. But then again I haven't been back in Dublin/Ireland for nearly 10 years and all that could have changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

dSTAR wrote: »
    I was in Ireland during the whole rave explosion in the 1990's and have to say it was a lot more advanced than the club culture that followed here a few years after. But then again I haven't been back in Dublin/Ireland for nearly 10 years and all that could have changed

Dublin has changed. Your average club is playing Pussycat Dolls and Britney, lucky if you hear two decent floor wreckers. Oz clubs seem to be stuck in the early to mid 90s. Great :) Half the reason Im going back is because you can dance your arse until 4am to quality tunes pissed on 7 odd euro dbl vodka and coke, rather than back home sitting in a corner waiting for a decent tune to come on whilst sipping on your 28 AUD dbl vodka or 12 AUD pint :( Sometimes I would nearly swear pubs and clubs in Sydney were playing my iPod on the system- the clubs had all my dance and a few classic hip hop, the pub live acts played alot of decent indie and britpop type stuff. Tailor made :) (although the live acts ALWAYS played the ubiquitious Sex on Fire.....often twice in one night :( ) Some of the clowns playin the likes of kips such as Barcode back home would have never heard half these tunes.

And I have yet to even hit The Ivy or Home or any of the other massive spots. Rave on! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭88show

Bearhunter wrote: »
    You're not missing much. They're a Wellington dub band, similar to Fat Freddy's Drop and Salmonella Dub. All right for background music, but that's about it.

maybe brotha but this is how cruisy and easy life is in Aotearoa compared to other places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

no mention of the Eagle Rock?

Dublin has changed. Your average club is playing Pussycat Dolls and Britney...
    Forget that. I would probably give these types of places a miss anyway preferring to hang out at a late bar listening to an unknown DJ play some down tempo / eclectic stuff.
    old greg wrote:
    no mention of the Eagle Rock?
    Great! Classic hits car radio muzak :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

the availability of Budweiser*

This invalidates any and all opinions you may have on beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

pucan wrote: »
    This invalidates any and all opinions you may have

Fixed that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Kryx

:eek: What about

Cut Copy - Lights and Music

Pnau - Baby

Hilltop Hoods - Nosebleed Section

Sneaky Sound System - Hip Hip Hooray

Don't Hold Back - Potbelleez

• Advertisement