Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone actually bought a property recently?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I thought it might be useful for buyers if they were to share with each other, the price they paid for their property and how much below the asking the price they were lucky enough to get. Seen as Estate agents have their lips buttoned with regard to final selling prices, a little bit of transperency and solidarity amongst buyers might be of great benefit to us all. I'm looking to buy in North County Dublin over the next 6 months to a year and would love to know what houses are really going for at the moment. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I thought it might be useful for buyers if they were to share with each other, the price they paid for their property and how much below the asking the price they were lucky enough to get.
    The problem here is that anyone who bought is now a seller, which changes their perspective somewhat, case in point our very own jetski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Clairecluck

perhaps, but just thought anyone who had just bought quite recently might have an affiliation with buyers. Just a thought and obviously up to the individual, however, as I said, a little solidarity amongst would not go amiss amongst the little people after years of being ripped off by developers and the like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Claire, just out of interest, why have you identified such a narrow timeframe in which to purchase your home?

North Co. dublin is one of the most over-supplied places in the country (just look at the 'little' town that Balriggan used to be :rolleyes:) and price drops will be vicious here, in the order of 70% from peak. If you hold on longer than your timeframe, you could save a very large capital sum.

Why not rent, save, and watch and wait as prices fall even further?

Just wondering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Clairecluck

Hi El Stuntman, I know what you mean, its just, I've been renting for up on 7 years and have been renting with my fiance for over 2 years now and fed up of tiny apartment, we just really want to settle somewhere and make a home. I know that sounds daft, and we will hold out for as long as possible, I suppose we'd have a bigger deposit then aswell. We are considering moving to better rented accomm in the mean time what with rents coming down also, that might make the wait a bit easier. Long before the crash though, we had envisaged buying a home around this time and aside from all the buzz about price drops at the moment, we just want to invest in a home rather than a house/property, if that makes sense :) ......but yes, I know you are ultimately right (although the 70% seems very optimistic!)

Advertisement