Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career advice.

Options
  • 19-11-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've set a goal for myself, I want to move into project management and away from systems support (after 15 years). What is the best way to do this over say a 4 year period, I have lost interest in IT systems and want to change.

I do not have a degree but have certs and a diploma, mainly systems support stuff (mcse, ccna etc). I got into IT the long way round, failed the leaving, got into a fee paying tech college then Fas. After Fas I got a placement in a support role and have been stuck in support roles since... obviously this is not how I planned things but its been a means to an end.

This wouldn’t be the first time I've changed careers as I used to be a Chef but gave up because of the hours I was putting in, huge difference in the type of industry and the types of people etc.. However I'm a lot older now and could not take the financial hit of starting out as a junior type project manager. I've recently done a diploma in project man, but its difficult to break into my area as infra PM, as roles are very rare these days.

There seems to be a lot more of programming type PM roles, from a programmers point of view what skills would a PM need to work successfully in a similar role.. Obviously PM stuff like PMP and prince2 but would the PM need programming skills also?

Sorry for the rant! if anyone has been in a similar situation please share your experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

The reason why there is a lot more programming types in project management roles is that having been a programmer/developer they know what type of time scale various development tasks require. so it makes sense for them to be in these roles.

This in turn is probably not good news for you. While I'm sure you know the Ins and outs of project management Its the practical experience you need more so. my advise would be take on a programing/development role for a year or two to get over this hurdle.Then go for a project management position.

Advertisement