Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish BB Ripwave..should i expect better?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

I went for the 1Mb Ripwave package (intending to upgrade to 2MB if 1Mb was too slow to me). I only seem to be capable of gettin average 110KB download.

At this rate i dont even think there is any point in upgrading to 2Mb.

Living in Rathmines, so Interent options are restricted.(with no phone line and cant get UPC either).

should i be expecting more from a 1MB line?
    If i upgrade to 2Mb it will hardly simply double will it?

rang there tech support, but i have to be at home to test the lines so couldnt get that much info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

You Mention 110KB.
    Or do you mean 110kb?
    KB = KByte
    kb = kbit

1KB = 8kb

Basically, 110KB is actually 880kb/s, which is not bad for 1mbit (1024kb)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

lol, beat me to it daffy. :)

if you're confused about exactly how much of what is what, have a look at this data unit calculator.

http://www.numion.com/Calculators/Units.html

there's also a good bandwidth tester and kb/mb per minutes calculators on the site too. well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Beans_On

daffy_duc wrote: »
    You Mention 110KB.
    Or do you mean 110kb?
    KB = KByte
    kb = kbit

1KB = 8kb

Basically, 110KB is actually 880kb/s, which is not bad for 1mbit (1024kb)

no its 110kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

here we go again. :)

if we're going to get technical, it's neither.

110KB is a static measurement of data not a data tranfer rate if you don't specify a unit of time. ;)

but then I'll be slightly wrong about something there and some other pedant will correct ME in a few minutes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Where did you see this 110kbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Beans_On

speedtest.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

I recently changed from BT to IBB fixed wireless 2Mb. Living in the Bray area & I'm happy enough. I read bad things about ripwave here just before I signed up.

Advertisement