Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Click Thread Subscription

Options
  • 19-11-2008 11:15am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have seen on other forums where you can subscribe to a thread by just clicking one icon - the page does not even need to refresh, the icon just changes colour and hey-preto, you are are subscribed.

Currently its a bit of an annoying process of: Clicking the arrow beside Thread Tools, clicking "Subscribe to this thread", wait for the page to load, and then click "Add Subscription" and then wait for the next page to load and then bring you back to the original thread. Bit of a pain in the ass - which is why I suspect many people who want to subscribe to a thread, instead of going through this several step process, they will simple reply to the thread with a LOL, +1, :pac: - or some other pointless remark that adds no value to the topic of conversation whatsoever.

I think if we could add this one clikc subscribe it would not only make it quicker and easier to subscribe to a thread we are interested in, but also lessen the amount of pointless replies.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Zascar wrote: »
    I have seen on other forums where you can subscribe to a thread by just clicking one icon - the page does not even need to refresh, the icon just changes colour and hey-preto, you are are subscribed.

Currently its a bit of an annoying process of: Clicking the arrow beside Thread Tools, clicking "Subscribe to this thread", wait for the page to load, and then click "Add Subscription" and then wait for the next page to load and then bring you back to the original thread. Bit of a pain in the ass - which is why I suspect many people who want to subscribe to a thread, instead of going through this several step process, they will simple reply to the thread with a LOL, +1, :pac: - or some other pointless remark that adds no value to the topic of conversation whatsoever.

I think if we could add this one clikc subscribe it would not only make it quicker and easier to subscribe to a thread we are interested in, but also lessen the amount of pointless replies.

+1
    At the very least a thanked post should add a subscription to the thread. That way I dont have to type +1 lazily and quote something I dont necessarily agree with just to subscribe without going through all that clicking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sounds like a really good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That way I dont have to type +1 lazily and quote something I dont necessarily agree with just to subscribe without going through all that clicking.
    +1

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Eh? Since when do you need to reply to a thread to be able to subscribe to it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You don't need to - but its quicker and easier than going through the standard subscribe process. As detailed above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Fair enough, never found that process to be much of a hassle. But anything to make lives easier I suppose :)

+1.

Bearing in mind that One Click is an Amazon trademark and they may get upset if thats the actual term used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It takes 4 clicks to sub a thread. How is that harder than posting a reply??

Even a smiley or '+1' reply requires more effort.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

+1

Should this not be in development tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive never subscribed to a thread so it doesnt bother me! But it does sound like a good idea, but im just wondering if it will take alot of work to implament

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah its a good idea. Probably should put the request in the forum CuLT setup for technical requests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement