Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard To Hear Characters Talking In A Game

• 19-11-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Since I bought my 360 3 years ago, I have always found it difficult to hear characters talk during dialog in cut scenes. Has anyone else expierenced this. I have gone through about 4 360's and have the same issue with them all. I have perfect hearing. The problem is when, lets say there is a heleicopter making noise in the background and two characters are talking, its seems hard to actually hear what they are saying, with the noise of the helicoper in the background

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Never had this problem. What speakers are you using? You may have the ambient channel set too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I've always thought the same, the voices are muted compared to all the other sound! Drives me mad. This is through my TV (sony bravia) or through my stereo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Yeah, that's happened to me in a few games as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I usually have to turn up GTA4 during cutscenes to hear what they are saying... then turn it back down after its over because its ridiculously loud when out of a cutscene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I have the same problem playing GearsII.
    You can normal adjust the Music/Sound/Voice independently via the ingame menu.
    I've always thought the same, the voices are muted compared to all the other sound! Drives me mad. This is through my TV (sony bravia) or through my stereo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

only got an xbox recently and noticed the same thing. I think by default the audio settings opt for 5 points audio(pro logic), if you select digital stereo it seems to sound better over a telly with two speakers or plain stereo setup...I could be wrong but it made speech clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I have always had the same problem, although I used it as an excuse to convince my wife that we should upgrade the TV and switch to a surround sound system. :D
    It did go a long way to fixing the problem, in fairness but there are always 'what did he say' moments. I usually turn on the ingame subtitles though, then I never miss what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've a surround system. Most games are fine (GTAIV was) but I do have that problem from time to time (Mass Effect). Try and turn up the in-game volume settings for dialogue or put on subtitles. What are your audio settings on the Xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Never experienced this myself until this week with World at War. Its almost impossible to hear what Kiefer Sutherland is telling you what to do. I keep having to press pause to check objectives. So annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I didn't hear one word of the cutscenes during Too Human, Gears of War 2 is not much better.
    I'm using 5.1 surround sound and typically have it fairly loud, but on those games and a few others, there is a massive difference in volume between in-game and cut scences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Surely this problem is down with the system settings blade????

I noticed the problem on older CRT tvs a lot aswell, and not on newer HDTVs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Maybe it's because the audio signal is being sent to a stereo output? forcing multiple audio channels into two channels may be the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

you can hardly hear it coz the god dam fan is so loud:(the only thing i dislike about my eggbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

you can hardly hear it coz the god dam fan is so loud:(the only thing i dislike about my eggbox

Tbaymusicman, you will obviously like the install to Hardrive feature in the update today as much as I did, I couldnt believe the peace and quiet in my room playing Halo 3!!!!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

If you only have two speakers set it to stereo or if you have surround set it to 5.1.

Turn up the speech volme in the game a good bit, turn down the sound effects & music a tad.

This mightn't do it for some games.

To make it sound even louder (if it's in game) face the character talking to you. Twirl it around a little and you'll notice the volume will get quieter and then louder depending on what way you are facing. Some games you have to stand near by.

Hope this helps.
    Keith

Advertisement