Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BookDepository.co.uk

Options
  • 19-11-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭

Up to now I've had pretty good dealings with www.bookdepository.co.uk but due to their sneaky practices over the last few days I don't think i'll be ordering from them again and I just thought i'd post this here to let others know what they're up to.

Last Friday I ordered a book from www.bookdepository.co.uk. The book was marked as "usually despatched within 24 hours" and my order was accepted and my Credit Card billed. Yesterday however I received an email saying that my order was cancelled as the book was not available any more and that my money would be refunded.

Fine I thought, but as i was (by pure coincidence) browsing the website at the time for another book i figured i'd check if there was a hardback version of the original book i could order. So i searched for the name and lo and behold there was the exact book that I ordered up for sale, only it was now almost £5 more expensive.

Essentially the book depository cancelled my order saying that the book was unavailable when in fact the book was available but they'd bumped up the price. I don't know if they expected me to order it again at the inflated price but i was pretty annoyed so I emailed them.

They said that the book went 'out of stock' and my order was cancelled but then came back into stock at the higher price. Now seeing as there were only one and a half business days since i originally ordered the book (ordered on friday night), was informed of the cancellation and saw it online at the updated price there wasn't a huge length of time for it to be 'out of stock'.

I don't know what they're playing at but i think it's pretty bad service to cancel an order without waiting a day for stock checking with the customer to give them the option.

rant over:/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

They did exactly the same thing to me.
    I ordered 2 books, and they cancelled one - I didn't think anything was up with it until I read your post. I see now that the book they cancelled is back in stock, but £4.00 more expensive. I'm gonna email them too, see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

This happend me as well. Though the book only went up by about £2 9though it was only about £6 to start off with). This is pretty disappointing , I took it in good faith at the time but it seems to be something pretty regular :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Usually use play.com myself, I find them pretty reasonable particularly since they don't have the added delivery expense like amazon do (gave up using them a long time ago).

Mind you, its far quicker ordering from play.com themselves rather than the resellers on their site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Is no one else going to say it? Fine.

"TO THE BOOK DEPOSITORY!!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement