Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Parking Gone!!

Options
  • 19-11-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Just moved into new Gaf in the Phibsboro area 4 months ago. There was pay an display outside the door but on the opposite side of the street people can park for free. This what I have been doing since I moved in. Reason being, Im not from Dublin an I have my car insured at home. I would need my Insurance at Dublin address to get a permit.

Long story short - some residents requested for pay & display parking to be brought in across the street as every Tom, Dick & Harry seemed to know bout It and park there for the day. So now the pay & display is being brought in on 8th Dec..Im left with a car and nowhere to park it for the week. From what I can see my options are limited:

1/ Change Insurance to Dublin address (don't want to do this as It would be alot more expensive & I can't really afford it and I don't wanna change policy as It'd be messy)

2/ Move out - (don't wanna do this either as Im livin with friends and It took us ages to find this place)

3/ Im not paying pay and display for a week when I've had it for free!

Help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Try calling your insurance company and ask them how much extra it will cost. It surely can't be more than the price to pay the meter for the week. Or...bring the car back to your home address in the bog and cycle. You are right beside the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

WindSock wrote: »
    Try calling your insurance company and ask them how much extra it will cost. It surely can't be more than the price to pay the meter for the week. Or...bring the car back to your home address in the bog and cycle. You are right beside the city centre

I know exactly where I am, thanks. Insurance company will not give a quote unless I am going to change it so no real option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They have to give a quote, which insurance company are you with?

That was Quinn Directs policy. Said could only give a quote for change of address if I went for it...not much good to me as it could be a few hundred quid extra

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ring for a new quote, don't tell them you already have a policy. Try a few different companies too. I'd be very surprised if the difference is more than €50.

if you're living in Dublin, then you should be paying your insurance there - you can't have it both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

loyatemu wrote: »
    if you're living in Dublin, then you should be paying your insurance there - you can't have it both ways.

Absolutely! The reason why premiums are higher for Dublin is due to greater levels of traffic=higher rates of accidents. You are obliged to have your car insured for the area it is used in most frequently - in your case Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Absolutely! The reason why premiums are higher for Dublin is due to greater levels of traffic=higher rates of accidents

Always wondered about this. Seems its the younger rural drivers that are killing themselves and other people every week, not the Dublin drivers. Time for the actuaries to reevaluate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

would your policy not be void/challengeable cause they ask you where you would be driving around on your application, i.e your locality back home, and your up in dublin.
    I can see them bringing this up if you have an accident in dublin.

I'm open to correction on this.

skelliser wrote: »
    would your policy not be void/challengeable cause they ask you where you would be driving around on your application, i.e your locality back home, and your up in dublin.
    I can see them bringing this up if you have an accident in dublin.

I'm open to correction on this.

I think that would be very harsh. After-all the car is insured irrelevant of where the accident takes place as long It's covered within the Country

Rang insurance there again and It will cost be €140 to change to Address - that is for the 6 months remaining on my policy

Suppose It's what I'll have to do. On the other note - I guaruntee most culchies living in Dublin prob have there car's insured with their home address. It's the done thing as far as I know (also open for correction)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've also heard of insurance companies refusing to pay out because people lied about where they were using and keeping their car.

It's a material fact and you have to tell the truth to the insurance company. Your insurance could be voided if this is the case.

If you had an accident in Dublin and told them you were living in the country, a private detective could very easily sort that one out within a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That was Quinn Directs policy. Said could only give a quote for change of address if I went for it...not much good to me as it could be a few hundred quid extra

That's not really a quote then is it seeing as if they tell you the price they're saying you have to take it.

Just ring them and say you're with another insurance company tell them the rate you're getting (surprisingly the exact same as your rate! ;)) and then ask how much extra it'd be if you moved to Dublin and changed to their insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Im probably one of the bastards who robs your space!

I park every friday in one of the "free sides" in Phibsboro for 2 hrs whilst I do my radio show, i only do be 2hrs or so!

Back on topic, your insurance shouldnt cost that much extra, I dont think you have to go changing your policy or anything like it, enquire with your landlord and see is there anything he can do????

Maybe a letter or something to say you live there etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1/ Change Insurance to Dublin address (don't want to do this as It would be alot more expensive & I can't really afford it
    That you 'don't want' to do this is or can't afford it is irrelevant. If you are living in Dublin, you are legally obliged to state this when asked "where is the vehicle normally kept".

I can't see it costing any more than about 10%.
    I don't wanna change policy as It'd be messy)
    It might be a lot more messier if you have to make a claim and they begin to ask awkward questions.

Advertisement