Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding ticket on Naas Road

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

I got a speeding ticket on Naas Road @ Fox & Geese (between Long Mile Road and Red Cow)

Anyone know if there is a permenant camera there? If a 60k limit on a 3-lane dual carraigeway, so very easy to exceed the limit.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,100 ✭✭✭✭beertons

kuro_man wrote: »
    I got a speeding ticket on Naas Road @ Fox & Geese (between Long Mile Road and Red Cow)

Anyone know if there is a permenant camera there? If a 60k limit on a 3-lane dual carraigeway, so very easy to exceed the limit.

You were caught by the Gatso van. They're always there. They dropped ot to 60k a while ago, still catching loads out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 a_chara

Got caught in the same place myself, was raging, speeding fine for doing 45mph in two or three lanes of traffic, pure revenue making exercise! What harm is anyone doing by going 45mph on this road?, no warnings or anything leading up to it either.

Also this Gatso van shouldn't be allowed either, no notification when you are actually caught - notified by post a month later, how are you supposed to contest that? How can someone remember what exact speed they were doing at an exact time over a month ago, for all i know they could say i was doing a hundred and i'd have no way of saying otherwise.

Also the fine i got was dated for a saturday at about lunchtime, judging by the normal flow of traffic on this road i can only presume i was in a string of cars all doing the same speed who must all have got hit with the same 80 quid and 2 points, - pure joke, sickens me that the powers that be seem so intent on prosecuting innocent harmless people going about thier dailly business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Yeah, my Mum, sister, aunt and uncle were all got there within a week of each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

I was caught on a Satuday morning too, at 11:15

Pure disgrace, I wonder does Joe Duffy travel that stretch of tarmac??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

which direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

a_chara wrote: »
    Pure disgrace, I wonder does Joe Duffy travel that stretch of tarmac??

Joe 'one of the people' duffy most likely takes his helicoptor in considering he earns a fortune of the Public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Ah yeah you have to be careful there. They leave the van parked in on the left hand side right before the entrance to the car storage place. Always there on a sunday morning :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

kuro_man wrote: »

No fixed camera but it's a very common spot for the revenue generation van.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Also this Gatso van shouldn't be allowed either

With an enterence to Harris truck, the Iveco dealer and DOE test centre, and an enterance to an Industrial estate and a major junction controlled by traffic lights with 2 pedestrain crossing on this strech of road, tell me why again there should not be a Gatso van allowed?

Weather you like it or not, this road is set at 60kmh for the reasons set out above and as we all know the Gaurds can do speed checks were the want when the want. And this road is clearly markd with speed signs.

• Advertisement

Read the post again please mondeo. What i was referring to in relation to the Gatso van is that they don't give you any notice at the point you are caught.
    How in the name of God are you supposed to appeal something which happened over a month ago and have only the tiniest recollection of what speed you were doing at that point in time and at that specific place? They could say i was doing any speed they like and i couldn't possibly know for certain if their equipment was even working properly. Also I have a named driver on my insurance and while i'm pretty sure i was driving that day I cant honestly remember as driving 45mph down a 3 lane dual carriage way wasn't exactly a life changing experience which will forever remain engrained in my memory.

Anyway these entrances and the sheer volume of traffic around these junctions serve as a natural speed deterent, don't need to be making a quick buck from average civilians going about their dailly business, how many fatal accidents has there been on this stretch of road over the past 5,10, 100 years even? Could they not deploy these things where they would save lives??

Also if they didn't go to so much effort concealing these cameras in the back of an unmarked van they may have more impact in reducing speed rather than catching unsuspecting civilians for a quick 80 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Read the post again please mondeo. What i was referring to in relation to the Gatso van is that they don't give you any notice at the point you are caught.
    How in the name of God are you supposed to appeal something which happened over a month ago and have only the tiniest recollection of what speed you were doing at that point in time and at that specific place? They could say i was doing any speed they like and i couldn't possibly know for certain if their equipment was even working properly. Also I have a named driver on my insurance and while i'm pretty sure i was driving that day I cant honestly remember as driving 45mph down a 3 lane dual carriage way wasn't exactly a life changing experience which will forever remain engrained in my memory.

Anyway these entrances and the sheer volume of traffic around these junctions serve as a natural speed deterent, don't need to be making a quick buck from average civilians going about their dailly business, how many fatal accidents has there been on this stretch of road over the past 5,10, 100 years even? Could they not deploy these things where they would save lives??

Also if they didn't go to so much effort concealing these cameras in the back of an unmarked van they may have more impact in reducing speed rather than catching unsuspecting civilians for a quick 80 quid.

And please read my post again, I mentioned nothing about appealing or notification of fines. TBH, most here would probably agree that appealing is not worth your while as you will lose and end up with a bigger fine and more points.

As for Deaths, there is a memoriam at the turn in to western industrial estate for some perrson who did die within the last 10 years.

As I stated, the road is clearly marked as a 60kph zone, the sign is just before the point where they park the gatso.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's a well known blackspot heh. 'Operation Revenue' will be will be setting up traps everywhere in the run up to christmas. The other night driving I seen a coppa camouflaging himself up against a telegraph pole with his speed gun in hand. You would haven to be right next to him to spot him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

These posts always make me laugh. People always try to shift the blame away from them and onto the guards or the great road or the fact they have busy lives or never cause anyone any trouble.

What really did happen here is two things:

1. You didn't see or chose to ignore the speed limit

2. You didn't see the Gatso van. We all know what they look like.

Basically it boils down the driver inattention. You were not fully aware of your surroundings and/or your speed and therefore have no one else to blame but yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

Maybe 3)

Gardai know exactly where people, especially those unfamiliar with the road, won't notice a poorly signposted lower than expected speed limit, then chose that location to place a trap.

If safety was the principal concern surely the Gardai would be contacting the council to tell them to indicate clearly that the road is a lower speed limit than driving experience would indicate.

Maybe 3)

Gardai know exactly where people, especially those unfamiliar with the road, won't notice a poorly signposted lower than expected speed limit, then chose that location to place a trap.

If a person is unfamiliar with the road then surely increased attention is required?? Poor signage or not the speed signs are clear enough and are the same size and colour nationwide/
    If safety was the principal concern surely the Gardai would be contacting the council to tell them to indicate clearly that the road is a lower speed limit than driving experience would indicate.

Two things wrong here.

The Gardai cannot tell the council to sort out a potential problem with a road or the signs of a road. The Gardai can inform the council alright but it is up to the council to decide whether they have the budget to do it or not.

Secondly the speed limit of a road is not determined by what speed drivers think they should be allowed to travel at. It is the road engineers who decide the speed taking into account road design, junctions etc etc Again it is the council's decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its a pain to get caught but TheNog is right. Anyone who cant see that must have something wrong twith them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Yea if you have to speed do so on country lanes , you know the ones, national routes that barely allow the passage of one car but dont have footpaths so pedestrians are forced to walk infront of speeding trucks. But you wont be caught because the guards rarely patrol these killer roads.
    I live in the country and every one knows where the speed traps are.
    You are far more likely to be caught in Dublin on a wide unidirectional trunk routes. And no I dont think they are revenue raisers, I just think its easy for them to catch people, get their quota or whatever.

Sorry for being so cynical, but I see people killed all the time on these death roads.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Yea if you have to speed do so on country lanes , you know the ones, national routes that barely allow the passage of one car but dont have footpaths so pedestrians are forced to walk infront of speeding trucks.

Keeping in mind of your own words which I have highlighted in bold above, you want a Garda to stand out on those killer roads with a speed gun? Come on. I know that doctors are intelligent but please tell me ye have common sense too.
    But you wont be caught because the guards rarely patrol these killer roads.

Just because you hardly ever see a patrol car on a particular does not mean it is not patrolled at some stage during the day. Again common sense tells me that you do not sit at the side of a particular road for 24 hrs a day to count how many times a patrol car drives by. Therefore you cannot say that guards rarely patrol these killer roads.
    I live in the country and every one knows where the speed traps are.
    You are far more likely to be caught in Dublin on a wide unidirectional trunk routes. And no I dont think they are revenue raisers, I just think its easy for them to catch people, get their quota or whatever.

Sorry for being so cynical, but I see people killed all the time on these death roads.

Cynical? Yes.

Close minded? Yes

There are very good reasons for not doing speed checks on dangerous windy roads which common sense should tell you why.

People are being killed on these dangerous roads but who gets the blame? The people who drive too fast or the council who designed and built the road in the first place?

No

Blame the guards. Makes no sense tbh. We can only enforce the law but only when its safe to do so.

TheNog wrote: »
    Keeping in mind of your own words which I have highlighted in bold above, you want a Garda to stand out on those killer roads with a speed gun? Come on. I know that doctors are intelligent but please tell me ye have common sense too.

Why not put the gatso van there?? parked in a field enterance.
    I really dont think a gatso camera on the motorways saves lives. Do You?

Why do you think I am close minded?

• Advertisement

Why not put the gatso van there?? parked in a field enterance.

Gatso vans are parked up at these type of sites down the country. I have seen them on small back roads, coming villages and towns and on the better roads too.

I really dont think a gatso camera on the motorways saves lives. Do You?

The likes of the M1 and the Naas road are covered by Gatso vans assigned to the DMR Traffic and so cover the Dublin Region.

We have probably the safest Motorway network in Europe wouldn't ye think. It is best to keep it that way by monitoring the traffic there from time to time. Just being proactive rather than reactive.

So to answer your question, yes I'm sure it saves lives but the result is not something we can see. There are no statistics to speak of because there is no before policing and after policing on the Motorways simply because policing has always been there on the motorways since they were first built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

2. You didn't see the Gatso van. We all know what they look like.

Unfortuantely you lot can be crafty and 'hide' this van

Like so:

gatso2zx2.jpg

gatso1hr1.jpg

If that same 'enthusiasm' was used with tackling the scum shooting innocent people this country would be blessed with an efficient police force!

Personally myself I like to keep my eyes on the road in front BUT I have to be watching for Garda Ninjas on some of the countrys better roads hiding in hedges and the like...for doing the death defying speed of 130 in a 120.:mad:

I always slow to PSL for villages etc I respect that theres a risk involved there rather than the 80k northbound M1 :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,222 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

What is with people who seem to not be ashamed of speeding? I couldn't care less if you were doing 130 in a 120 area. I really couldn't. Why can you not just obey the law?? Or are you above it? Or maybe you think you have the right to endanger people's lives, not to mention your own. :mad:

you rarely see the speed cameras on dangerous roads -I have seen one on the N 11 between the beehive and the tap once, and therehas been a fall off in rtas there, the bends have been straightened there also.
    I nearly always see a speed camera van on the m1 under the bridge on the way to the airport. But honestly I really do not believe that it saves lives, sure it may catch hundreds of people doing 90 in an 80 section of motorway.
    if you want to speed in this country you can on country lanes speed cameras here both visable and covert would save more lives.

Why do you think I am close minded?
    I think you may have an IQ >80-How open minded is that ?

Unfortuantely you lot can be crafty and 'hide' this van

Like so:

gatso2zx2.jpg

gatso1hr1.jpg

Crafty - yes, same as the crafty person on their mobile who drops their hand when they see a guard, or the crafty drug carrier/dealer who hides his stash inside his jocks or in the crack of his arse or the burglar who robs a house during the night then waits for the morning rush hour to join the traffic to his home.

Guards know the methods people use to get away with committing an offence so we must adjust our methods to catch them or ye!! :D

In fairness the first pic is taken at what about 100m away for a white van behind a red sign!!! No contest there. Straight away you know its a Gatso cos its parked in an unusual place. Again anyone caught by this van on that day was purely cos the driver wasn't paying attention.

If that same 'enthusiasm' was used with tackling the scum shooting innocent people this country would be blessed with an efficient police force!

These scum generally don't advertise their actions to the Gardai nor do guards have a crystal ball to foretell a murder. It is rare that a murder is solved by forensics alone but it is information from people that help solve them. In cases such as gangland murders, poeple who do know are either happy the other person is dead or are afraid for their own lives to speak up.

Personally myself I like to keep my eyes on the road in front BUT I have to be watching for Garda Ninjas on some of the countrys better roads hiding in hedges and the like...for doing the death defying speed of 130 in a 120.:mad:

I always slow to PSL for villages etc I respect that theres a risk involved there rather than the 80k northbound M1 :mad:.

Do a defensive driving course. I recommend it. Brilliant. You learn that not only do you have to look ahead of you but also to the sides and the rear of you. It is difficult at first but you get used to it.

Years ago my dad did the driving course in the guards and part of the course meant you had to identify how cars behind you, junctions up ahead, cars coming towards you and the driver even had to give the reg of the car immediately behind him. Now thats hard. Its the correct way of driving but hard.
    Boggles wrote: »

Yes incompentance of the local councils who failed to put those speed limits on a legal footing.

Yes incompentance of the local councils who failed to put those speed limits on a legal footing.

Why the need to point that out? The article was pretty much self explanatary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Crafty- yes, same as the crafty person on their mobile who drops their hand when they see a guard, or the crafty drug carrier/dealer who hides his stash inside his jocks or in the crack of his arse or the burglar who robs a house during the night then waits for the morning rush hour to join the traffic to his home.

Guards know the methods people use to get away with committing an offence so we must adjust our methods to catch them or ye!! :D

In fairness the first pic is taken at what about 100m away for a white van behind a red sign!!! No contest there. Straight away you know its a Gatso cos its parked in an unusual place. Again anyone caught by this van on that day was purely cos the driver wasn't paying attention.

Not really took a few seconds to tweek it didn't expect our forces so poor so they'd to resort to such tactics, and you wonder ehy they lack the support of the general public

These scum generally don't advertise their actions to the Gardai nor do guards have a crystal ball to foretell a murder. It is rare that a murder is solved by forensics alone but it is information from people that help solve them. In cases such as gangland murders, poeple who do know are either happy the other person is dead or are afraid for their own lives to speak up.

Nor do speeders?? You set a van where the majority of people speed and monitor who commit speeding offences ie 80k ibefore the 120 on the M1... Same principle for example survelliance in Moyross, etc in Limerick plenty of gang crime there, subsitutue majority of speeders for shooters.

Do a defensive driving course. I recommend it. Brilliant. You learn that not only do you have to look ahead of you but also to the sides and the rear of you. It is difficult at first but you get used to it.

Years ago my dad did the driving course in the guards and part of the course meant you had to identify how cars behind you, junctions up ahead, cars coming towards you and the driver even had to give the reg of the car immediately behind him. Now thats hard. Its the correct way of driving but hard.

Well Capable of monitoring the side of the road that helped me avoid that
    VAn along with many others, Unfortuantely when on a motorway you need to concentrate on the road ahead rather than a pen pusher shooting fish in a barrell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Boggles wrote: »
    Why the need to point that out? The article was pretty much self explanatary.

In fairness it looked like you were suggesting that it was further evidence of garda incompetence. The Nog has every right to clear that up.

• Advertisement

robbie99 wrote: »
    In fairness it looked like you were suggesting that it was further evidence of garda incompetence.

Could you point out exactly where in my 2 word post I suggested that?

Advertisement