Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding ticket on Naas Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

leon8v wrote: »
    I disagree here, If they were on smaller roads that have known black spots and met 1000 drivers and saved a life due to that then do you not think its more worthwhile than meeting 10,000 and handing out a load of fines on a road which is so much less likely to have a fatality in the first place.
    But the point is that its not the roads which cause crashes, its drivers. (ok, 99.9% of the time its drivers)
    The more drivers you can get to obey posted limits the better right? Of that 10,000 Im sure some of them will also be driving on the black spot country roads also. If we can train them to obey limits then they will be safer on all roads.
    If you only police the minor roads you need far more resources and it will take you far longer.

That drunk speeder will probably have been put off the road for the accumulated offences he gets from driving and getting caught on main roads. If he only got caught on minor roads it would take much longer to put him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

GreeBo wrote: »

That drunk speeder will probably have been put off the road for the accumulated offences he gets from driving and getting caught on main roads. If he only got caught on minor roads it would take much longer to put him away.

WTF ...Crystal Ball??? :confused:

TheNog wrote: »
    Think you missed the whole point of Deadwoods post. It was meant for humour only

In that case.
    :D
    +1

But the point is that its not the roads which cause crashes, its drivers. (ok, 99.9% of the time its drivers)
    The more drivers you can get to obey posted limits the better right? Of that 10,000 Im sure some of them will also be driving on the black spot country roads also. If we can train them to obey limits then they will be safer on all roads.
    If you only police the minor roads you need far more resources and it will take you far longer.

There's something to be said about a good old fashioned telling off as oppsoed to an automated ticket machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Speeding only accounts for 12% of road fatalities as posted above so why all the concentration on that area?
    So you are happy for the drunk guy to be coming towards you so long as the garda are handing out fines on the main roads. I hope I am never in that situation and I also hope you arent either because you might change your mind then. I know I would much prefer that he hadnt gotten into his car drunk or hadnt been driving to fast on a known black spot because he knew there was a pretty good chance he could get caught on it instead of knowing that there was little chance of it happening so he was happy to take the risk and come ploughing towards me.
    It takes 6 speeding fines on main roads to take someone off the road, it only takes one accident on a known black spot to do it!!! It would be much better if he was caught once on a back road and a life saved.
    Just because it takes far longer to police back roads is no excuse not to tackle it.
    Nobody ever said ONLY police the minor roads, what they said was concentrate on them. Big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Because they are choosing to put themselves in front of the greatest number of people.
    I live in the city, I never drive on these rural country roads. How is giving a driver similar to me a fine for speeding on a motorway going to change anything?
    You want them on smaller roads that have black spots?
    Yes
    How long do they stay there for? Do they ever leave?
    You use fixed cameras at black spots
    When do you decide that this road is now safe as no one speeds on it? Problems is you cant. You could be there for a week and only meet 1000 drivers, yet be on the N3 for 1 day and meet 10,000.
    You measure the accident rate in the years prior to installing the camera. You the measure the accident rate a number of years after the installation of the camera. This will tell you if the camera was successful or not.
    Lots of people on here seem to be forgetting that its people who cause crashes. Its people who are speeding. They way you combat this is you try to teach as many people as you can not to speed. Once the majority of people have stopped speeding then you can move to more isolated roads if there is persistent offenders there. The very fact that they are catching people on the main roads shows that people dont get a ****e and will speed when and where they want. We need to fine that crap out of these people and get them off the road.
    Are you trying to stop speeding or crashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

You see people tend to have this attitude of "If I didn;t see it, it didn't happen". Neither you nor I know what happens on the Naas Rd everyday but the local Gardai and residents do.

There are no residents in that area.

I've emailed the NRA to ask them for crash figures for this stretch of road. Let's see if the figures justify the frequent speed traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Never mind the 2 ped crossings into the quite large industrial estate across from the red cow hotel.

We don't do speed limits timed like say bus lanes, ie between 7am and 7pm Monday to Friday speed will be 60kph all other hours will be 80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

There's something to be said about a good old fashioned telling off as oppsoed to an automated ticket machine.

Telling off has its place but not for all incidents
    Speeding only accounts for 12% of road fatalities as posted above so why all the concentration on that area?
    So you are happy for the drunk guy to be coming towards you so long as the garda are handing out fines on the main roads. I hope I am never in that situation and I also hope you arent either because you might change your mind then. I know I would much prefer that he hadnt gotten into his car drunk or hadnt been driving to fast on a known black spot because he knew there was a pretty good chance he could get caught on it instead of knowing that there was little chance of it happening so he was happy to take the risk and come ploughing towards me.

You are making out there concentration on speeding only which isn't the case.

I've emailed the NRA to ask them for crash figures for this stretch of road. Let's see if the figures justify the frequent speed traps.

My bad but there is alot of businesses there, right?

If you get the info will you let us know?

IMO even if there is no collisions on that road you gotta think why is the van there 3 mornings a week. Strikes me that people are just not getting the message.

Because speeding makes any type of accident much worse.
    Of course I am not happy. How many blackspots are there in Ireland? How many minor roads?
    Unless you put a camera/van on each one of them then your approach will fail for the exact same reasons you think mine will. The crux is that mine has the "fallback" of getting in the faces of thousands of motorists every day in an attempt to change their driving habits. Yours doesnt.
    It takes 6 speeding fines on main roads to take someone off the road, it only takes one accident on a known black spot to do it!!! It would be much better if he was caught once on a back road and a life saved.
    Just because it takes far longer to police back roads is no excuse not to tackle it.
    Nobody ever said ONLY police the minor roads, what they said was concentrate on them. Big difference.
    As above, the chances of catching someone on a minor road are much smaller than on main highways unless you are proposing a camera on every road in Ireland and that will never happen.
    We are trying to change driver habits. They way you do that is by getting the message to as many people as possible.

How do you concentrate on the minor ones but still do the major ones? How do you decide which ones? What about the drunk guy speeding towards me on the minor road that you decided wasnt on "the list"? Id prefer to take my chances on him being caught on the main roads as the chances are much higher.

• Advertisement

I live in the city, I never drive on these rural country roads. How is giving a driver similar to me a fine for speeding on a motorway going to change anything?
    How is concentrating on the rural roads going to stop you speeding?

You use fixed cameras at black spots

You measure the accident rate in the years prior to installing the camera. You the measure the accident rate a number of years after the installation of the camera. This will tell you if the camera was successful or not.
    And how exactly do fixed cameras prevent speeding when some genius has them all plotted out here :rolleyes:
    Are you trying to stop speeding or crashes?
    Accidents will *always* happen. The faster you go the worse the accident. Fact.
    Same question right back at you. Whats the purpose of www.irishspeedtraps.com, to stop people speeding or getting caught?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Same question right back at you. Whats the purpose of www.irishspeedtraps.com, to stop people speeding or getting caught?

Information.
    Isn't prevention much better than a cure.?
    Although with prevention i suppose revenue is diminished.

You see people tend to have this attitude of "If I didn;t see it, it didn't happen". Neither you nor I know what happens on the Naas Rd everyday but the local Gardai and residents do.
    Well actually I grew up and went to school very close to it so technically could be considered a local resident. And I work on it everyday so would generally hear of a major accident. Anyway we are probably getting a bit tied up with that particular stretch of road. The point was that it doesnt have a notorious record.

Because once the patrol car turns off, they are back to their bad driving habits again. However with the Gatso van intelligent people or people with some cop on should be thinking "Maybe, just maybe".

Maybe, just maybe what??? What happens when they go past the gatso van, just like the patrol car? And how do they know there isnt another patrol car behind then (unmarked). I personally feel that people are more likely to use the maybe, just maybe approach to patrol cars than gatso vans.
    Its all down to attitude of the Irish drivers which I think everyone can agree is not the best. Have you ever spoke with a drunk driver and told them not to drive or told someone to slow down. If ye did I bet the answer was "Its alright I won't be caught" rather than "its ok I won't kill anyone".
    Does this not kinda prove my point though. If drivers think they wont get caught then the garda stratgey isnt working!!!

You said you drove by this checkpoint so it was merely seconds that you saw guards joking. Doesn't qualify as a piss take to me. If you were watching them for 10 minutes or more, then I would agree with ye.
    I said I drove by then went back around and came by again which was a few minutes later, still the same.

In fairness I do not work in Dublin so your point is kind of moot. I cannot be expected to know stats for every part of the country, could I?
    Equally I could say that about your defence of the gatso van being there if you dont know Dublin!!
    Of course they are but only if people are mature enough to accept the punishment and take some responsibility for their actions. Many do, some don't.
    Agreed but again back to the fact that speeding isnt the main contributor.

Well actually I grew up and went to school very close to it so technically could be considered a local resident. And I work on it everyday so would generally hear of a major accident. Anyway we are probably getting a bit tied up with that particular stretch of road. The point was that it doesnt have a notorious record.

Alright we have established that there was no major collision in a while but why do we have wait till there is one before it is policed? If the van is there 3 monrings a week, doesn't that suggest that people are still speeding.

Does this not kinda prove my point though. If drivers think they wont get caught then the garda stratgey isnt working!!!

A reduction is fatalies year on year shows different. A person may get away with drink driving 3 times so its the attitude of "I won't be caught" is the problem. Take the last Bank Holiday weekend. In one night we had two district cars, a public order van and 3 traffic corps that caught 8 drunk drivers in one 8 hr period. Thats not down to lack of policing in the district cos we do alot of checkpoints especially at night. Its down to attitude.

I said I drove by then went back around and came by again which was a few minutes later, still the same.

Ah come on. You see something for a few seconds and make a judgement on it. I think that all I will say on this matter.
    Equally I could say that about your defence of the gatso van being there if you dont know Dublin!!

Agreed but again back to the fact that speeding isnt the main contributor.

Again it can be reasonably said if the van is there 3 mornings a week then there is a reason for it. People are still speeding on that stretch of road. Simple as.

You still making out all resources are used to prevent speeding. Not the case. Speeding, where known, contributed to 12% of collisions but is still requires attention.

Let me give you an example:

In my district we had 2 fatalities in the last year. Neither of them could have been prevented by Gardai.

I did a speed check 200m from a primary school one morning between 9-9.30am. 50kph zone, rural area. No accidents there in the last year. Within that 30minutes I stopped 3 drivers all of which were over 80kph.

Another morning stopped a driver travelling at 127kph in a 50kph. He was a plumber who was going to the site cos a new house was flooding.

Thats proactive policing.

How do you concentrate on the minor ones but still do the major ones? How do you decide which ones? What about the drunk guy speeding towards me on the minor road that you decided wasnt on "the list"? Id prefer to take my chances on him being caught on the main roads as the chances are much higher.

You concentrate it based on accident statistics.
    The chances arent much higher of him being caught on the major roads because road fatalaties are still happening!!!!

hottstuff wrote: »
    Information.
    Isn't prevention much better than a cure.?
    Although with prevention i suppose revenue is diminished.

Yeah you are preventing speeders from getting fined instead of curing their speeding tendencies. Ingenious.

You concentrate it based on accident statistics.

But then arent you just moving the accidents onto other roads?
    The chances arent much higher of him being caught on the major roads because road fatalaties are still happening!!!!
    I dont understand your point? Im saying the chances of him getting caught are higher because there is better chance of him being on the fewer main roads that are policed than the greater minor roads.

With limited resources you need to put yourself in front of the most speeders you can. Until people stop speeding on main roads there is no point (imho) in getting guys to sit in gatso vans on country lanes to possibly catch 1 speeder a day.

Alright we have established that there was no major collision in a while but why do we have wait till there is one before it is policed? If the van is there 3 monrings a week, doesn't that suggest that people are still speeding.
    Or they are getting plenty of money in from it. I suppose we dont know what the camera is set at. They could very well be giving people tickets for 5kph over the limit. We know you dont adopt that approach but we dont know this van doesnt. So plenty of 5kph over the limit tickets adds up to a nice statistic of fines issued to roll out at the end of the year. Its speculation I know, but what we do know is that its trying to cure a problem that doesnt exist, ie accidents!!!

A reduction is fatalies year on year shows different. A person may get away with drink driving 3 times so its the attitude of "I won't be caught" is the problem. Take the last Bank Holiday weekend. In one night we had two district cars, a public order van and 3 traffic corps that caught 8 drunk drivers in one 8 hr period. Thats not down to lack of policing in the district cos we do alot of checkpoints especially at night. Its down to attitude.
    I am not trying to take away from the work you are doing. Well done on that weekend. Its good to see and maybe you saved a life there, you never know. But the point I am making is that if that person is thinking that they wont be caught, then even more drink driving checkpoints are needed. If they think there is a pretty good chance that you are going to be waiting around the corner for them ready to get them to blow into the bag then they wont take the chance.

Ah come on. You see something for a few seconds and make a judgement on it. I think that all I will say on this matter..
    Look the only point I was making there was was it really necessary to have all of them at that checkpoint. It seemed to me like a bad use of resources. You say they were probably doing other things as well. I will have to take your word for it.

Again it can be reasonably said if the van is there 3 mornings a week then there is a reason for it. People are still speeding on that stretch of road. Simple as.

Again, We are speculating but maybe they are, maybe they arent. But the facts still prove that accidents in the main are happening on minor roads not major 3 lane roads in Dublin city.

Or they are getting plenty of money in from it.

Yes the government probably is getting money from it. So what. I don't have any sympathy for those that are caught. I will probably be caught speeding too at some stage but I won't be whinging about it(not say you are).

But the point I am making is that if that person is thinking that they wont be caught, then even more drink driving checkpoints are needed. If they think there is a pretty good chance that you are going to be waiting around the corner for them ready to get them to blow into the bag then they wont take the chance.

+1 more checkpoints are needed unfortunately at weekend public order keeps our hands full.
    Look the only point I was making there was was it really necessary to have all of them at that checkpoint. It seemed to me like a bad use of resources. You say they were probably doing other things as well. I will have to take your word for it.

I can understand what you are thinking but in this present day one guard to a car is now too dangerous. So out of the 6 guards you saw standing on the roadside = 3 cars. Remember it is a 3 lane road with 2-3 on the speed guns.

Again, We are speculating but maybe they are, maybe they arent. But the facts still prove that accidents in the main are happening on minor roads not major 3 lane roads in Dublin city.

Correct but there is not many minor roads in Dublin. In my district we have minor roads galore and do checks on everyone of them that is safe to do so.

Or they are getting plenty of money in from it.
    They only reason they are getting money is that people are speeding! Stop speeding and then you wont have to complain about the "money making racket" or "automated ticket machines". I dont even think about them as I dont speed.
    So plenty of 5kph over the limit tickets adds up to a nice statistic of fines issued to roll out at the end of the year. Its speculation I know, but what we do know is that its trying to cure a problem that doesnt exist, ie accidents!!!
    If you are caught at 5kph over the limit then you knew you were speeding as car speedos ALWAYS report a higher speed than you were doing.

But the facts still prove that accidents in the main are happening on minor roads not major 3 lane roads in Dublin city.
    the facts also prove that there is still speeding happening on the 3 lane toads in Dublin. Are you telling me that the people who speed on the major roads suddenly obey the limits on minor roads?

• Advertisement

But then arent you just moving the accidents onto other roads?

No I cant see how you would.
    I dont understand your point? Im saying the chances of him getting caught are higher because there is better chance of him being on the fewer main roads that are policed than the greater minor roads.

With limited resources you need to put yourself in front of the most speeders you can. Until people stop speeding on main roads there is no point (imho) in getting guys to sit in gatso vans on country lanes to possibly catch 1 speeder a day.

Sorry I point was that road fatalities are still happening and still seem to be happening on minor roads in the main so what I am saying is that the strategy you suggest doesnt appear to be working.
    This comes back to a point made earlier though, are you trying to catch speeders or trying to save lives?? It has been proven that speed is only a contributing factor in 12% of accidents.
    Going off topic I know but take the Autobahns in germany, no speed limits. Speed in itself isnt the killer, its driver error and other factors that are. Solely focussing on speed is not the answer.
    What you are saying about a gatso van only catching one speeder a day on a back road suggests that people arent speeding on back roads yet accidents seem to happen more on back roads so maybe speeding isnt the main cause? And the statistics also agree, only 12% as mentioned above.
    Take your example above of the one speeder that gatso van catches on a back road. What if someone else on that back road who may have had an accident 100metres up the road saw the van, slowed down and the accident didnt occur?? Wouldnt that be worthwhile?? Now I know, you cant measure something that might have happened but the statistics show that it was more likely to happen on that type of road than on a main road with central reservation etc etc.

FFS This Thread is going in Circles.

At least Greebo's keeping cyclopaths stool warm for now. :rolleyes:

The only fact is this thread will still be going in circles in 2 weeks time.

Please Close

Yawn.gif

the facts also prove that there is still speeding happening on the 3 lane toads in Dublin. Are you telling me that the people who speed on the major roads suddenly obey the limits on minor roads?

How do you know these people ever drive on minor roads outside Dublin? You dont!!!

The only fact is this thread will still be going in circls in 2 weeks time.

Please Close

Yawn.gif

Was starting to think the same myself. Am outa here now anyway! Another week over.
    Drive safely in those black spots.

No I cant see how you would.
    Well because you will be catching/warning less drivers than you would be on a main road. Drivers will slow down at these specific, fixed points only.

Sorry I point was that road fatalities are still happening and still seem to be happening on minor roads in the main so what I am saying is that the strategy you suggest doesnt appear to be working.
    But they are always going to happen, agreed?
    This comes back to a point made earlier though, are you trying to catch speeders or trying to save lives?? It has been proven that speed is only a contributing factor in 12% of accidents.
    I dont dispute that, but the other 88% of accidents are worse if the speeds are higher, agreed?
    Going off topic I know but take the Autobahns in germany, no speed limits. Speed in itself isnt the killer, its driver error and other factors that are. Solely focussing on speed is not the answer.
    What you are saying about a gatso van only catching one speeder a day on a back road suggests that people arent speeding on back roads yet accidents seem to happen more on back roads so maybe speeding isnt the main cause?
    No, it just shows that there is less traffic on these roads.
    Take your example above of the one speeder that gatso van catches on a back road. What if someone else on that back road who may have had an accident 100metres up the road saw the van, slowed down and the accident didnt occur?? Wouldnt that be worthwhile?? Now I know, you cant measure something that might have happened but the statistics show that it was more likely to happen on that type of road than on a main road with central reservation etc etc.
    But you are still missing the point that its not the roads that cause crashes its the drivers. Standing on an empty, dangerous road isnt helping anyone. Teach the drivers and the roads will look after themselves.

How do you know these people ever drive on minor roads outside Dublin? You dont!!!

Likewise you dont know that they do. I'm willing bet that more of them do than dont but thats beside the point.

We are not talking about Bill Daly from Cavan here; this is all about statistics and hypotheticals and not individual real people.

Yawn; stellar contribution as usual.

Yawn; stellar contribution as usual.

*sigh* Your really not worth the effort.

:pac:

Media,512,en.jpg:rolleyes:

Well because you will be catching/warning less drivers than you would be on a main road. Drivers will slow down at these specific, fixed points only.

At the risk of continuing to go round in circles as eringobragh suggests, The idea is not to catch the most amount of drivers possible. Its to prevent road deaths, The two dont always go together!!!
    But they are always going to happen, agreed?
    I dont dispute that, but the other 88% of accidents are worse if the speeds are higher, agreed?.

But how far do you take that, If a plane crashes its going to be pretty bad given the speed they travel at so do you stop them flying? No.
    Autobahns Have no speed limit, it doesnt seem to be a major problem over there?

Likewise you dont know that they do. I'm willing bet that more of them do than dont but thats beside the point.

We are not talking about Bill Daly from Cavan here; this is all about statistics and hypotheticals and not individual real people
    True there is a lot of hypothecticals and the point being made by me and others here is that the statistics suggest that the black spots is where the efforts should be concentrated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

It has been proven that speed is only a contributing factor in 12% of accidents. .
    Source for this? I don't think you're reporting this statistic accurately. It may be that speed is only a causal factor in some accidents, but speed is always a factor in the amount of damage or injury.

By reducing vehicle speeds, we reduce the severity of damage and injury when a mistake is made.

At 40 mph, a pedestrian has an 80% likelihood of death. At 30mph, he has an 80% chance of survival.

Advertisement