Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about car stereo problem

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I purchased a Pioneer CD player for my car about 2 months ago, along with a few new speakers. All had been working well up until Saturday afternoon. I was out driving, went to adjust the volume on the stereo and my hand sort of slipped (ended up turning it well past the normal level). There was a quick popping sound, then the stereo went dead. It will not turn back on.

I've checked all of the fuses in the stereo unit, the head unit of the CD player and the fuses in the car but it is still not turning on. I've also opened the cd player but can't see anything wrong with soldering or fuses in there. Any ideas on how I might be able to fix this? I'm open to the possibility that it may well be busted, but I'd like to try and fix it first before shelling out more cash for a new one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Anyone?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Did you buy it new? Sounds faulty? Any warranty with it, although it could be void since you opened it.

I would say something if the speakers blew at full volume, but the radio?

Did you buy it new? Sounds faulty? Any warranty with it, although it could be void since you opened it.

I would say something if the speakers blew at full volume, but the radio?

Yeah, brand new out of the shop. I don't understand it either. I've checked the speakers, and the cone doesn't seem to be cracked or ripped anywhere, so I'm not sure why the stereo decided to pack it in..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've checked all of the fuses in the stereo unit

By the above statement I presume you checked the fuse near the ISO power connector on the back of the unit (if it has one)...

It sounds like the amplifier module inside the stereo is gone... The amplifier module will be a big black chip, with a metal heat sink, which is bolted to the metal side of the stereo.... check it for cracks....

By the above statement I presume you checked the fuse near the ISO power connector on the back of the unit (if it has one)...

It sounds like the amplifier module inside the stereo is gone... The amplifier module will be a big black chip, with a metal heat sink, which is bolted to the metal side of the stereo.... check it for cracks....

Yeah it was that fuse I checked, I also replaced that with a newone just to rule it out. I assume if it is that amplifier chip that is the problem, then I'm probably better off to bring the stereo back to the shop? Is it possible to repair them?

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    Yeah it was that fuse I checked, I also replaced that with a newone just to rule it out. I assume if it is that amplifier chip that is the problem, then I'm probably better off to bring the stereo back to the shop? Is it possible to repair them?

Well if its under warranty, don't open it, just bring it back... At the end of the day the stereo should blow just cause you turned up the volume too much...

If its not under warranty, get a repair place or someone who knows electronics to look at it... although with prices these days, might be just as cheap to replace it with a new one....

Note:- If they do swap it, or get a new one, make sure to get your speakers checked before connecting it. Anyone with a multi meter should be able to check the speakers....

Just to update: I brought it back to the shop today and the guy asked me to bring in the main unit as well so he could test it. Brought the whole lot in and he hooked it up....the ****in thing was working fine in there! He said it may be something to do with the fuses or cabling, but I've checked the cables and replaced all of the suspect fuses.

This is starting to wreck my head big time. I cannot stand driving around in complete silence and the fact the thing is still working, just not in my car, is a sickener. Any other ideas?

Have you an old stereo you could plug into the car to check the wiring?

Have you tried just plugging in the power ISO connector to the radio & not the speaker ISO connector?? And see if it powers up?

Good that the stereo is still fine, should be easy enough to find the problem with the car... there isn't a small in-line fuse on the wiring going to the ISO connector is there?

Do you have a multimeter/blub handy to check your permanent & switched 12V supplies on the ISO connector?

Have you an old stereo you could plug into the car to check the wiring?

Have you tried just plugging in the power ISO connector to the radio & not the speaker ISO connector?? And see if it powers up?

Good that the stereo is still fine, should be easy enough to find the problem with the car... there isn't a small in-line fuse on the wiring going to the ISO connector is there?

Do you have a multimeter/blub handy to check your permanent & switched 12V supplies on the ISO connector?

No other stereo I can try unfortunately. I've tried plugging in just one cable, but there is still no sign of life out of it. There is a small fuse on the back of the stereo unit near the power connector, but I replaced that already.

I won't have access to a multimeter until the weekend at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You can check the speakers quickly if you want.

Get a 1.5V battery and connect the speaker to it. As you connect the battery to the speaker wire you should see the cone deflect either in or out depending on how you connect the polarity.

That said, it's unlikely that all the speakers blew at once unless they were badly mismatched to the head unit. Taking the warranty approach seems to be the most sensible option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭spree

If there is stereo wont turn on it may not the power supply, if have any old car lights like an interior lights just locate the positive on the iso and ground it if the bulb doesnt light up maybe thats the problem, would there be any fusable links on that circuit.

Advertisement