Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs goalkeeping coach departs

• 19-11-2008 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭

BBC Sport wrote:
    Tottenham have parted company with goalkeeping coach Hans Leitert in the wake of costly errors made by their Brazilian keeper Heurelho Gomes.

Gomes, 27, has made several blunders this season with his latest coming in Tottenham's 2-1 Premier League defeat at Fulham on Saturday.

Austrian Leitert, 35, only moved to White Hart Lane in the summer.

A statement on Spurs website read: "We should like to thank him for his contribution and wish him well."

Gomes joined Tottenham from PSV Eindhoven in the summer for an undisclosed fee, thought to be around £8m.

And despite his mistakes, Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is backing his keeper to bounce back, saying: "He's our number one so he's got to do the job - we're relying on him heavily.

"I believe in him and we have to believe in him."

Redknapp, who lost his unbeaten start as Tottenham manager in the defeat at Craven Cottage, has Cesar Sanchez in reserve, while youngster Ben Alnwick is returning from a loan spell at Carlisle.

But he suggested that Gomes will be in the starting line-up against Blackburn on Sunday.

"Obviously he is disappointed with the weekend but his record tells you he is a world-class goalkeeper," said Redknapp.

"He has to bounce back from that and turn in a terrific performance this weekend. I'm sure he'll do that. He's a strong character. It's up to him now."
    I think that part could just as easily have been on the Arsenal, Fulham, Udinese or Aston Villa site. Be interesting to see if blaming someone else lifts Gomes' confidence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If anyone is going to go it should be Gomes himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jesus, Gomes can't even keep hold of a goalkeeping coach.

What the feck is the coach meant to do with him. 'And one more thing, Heurelho. When you go to catch the ball, do not let it bounce off your chest, cross the line and into the goal thereby giving the opposition a goal advantage. I really can't stress that enough!"
    Fulham occurs.
    Harry to coach "Did you not tell him that he should actually hold onto the ball?"
    "I did Harry"
    "Well, you mustn't have made it clear enough. Look, i think it's better you left"
    "Ok"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

monkey9 wrote: »
    Jesus, Gomes can't even keep hold of a goalkeeping coach.

What the feck is the coach meant to do with him. 'And one more thing, Heurelho. When you go to catch the ball, do not let it bounce off your chest, cross the line and into the goal thereby giving the opposition a goal advantage. I really can't stress that enough!"
    Fulham occurs.
    Harry to coach "Did you not tell him that he should actually hold onto the ball?"
    "I did Harry"
    "Well, you mustn't have made it clear enough. Look, i think it's better you left"
    "Ok"
    He doesn't appear to have done a great job with Robinson either though, and despite his stock now, Robinson was highly thought of a few years ago and was a very good 'keeper.

The pompey 'keeper coach appears to have done great work with James.

Also, maybe it doesn't have anything to do with either, maybe harry just wants his staff to be made up of people he knows and trusts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

He doesn't appear to have done a great job with Robinson either though, and despite his stock now, Robinson was highly thought of a few years ago and was a very good 'keeper.

fta "Austrian Leitert, 35, only moved to White Hart Lane in the summer."

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

a bit stupid to link Gomez's recent performances to the goal keeping coach. You just dont turn into a poor 'keeper overnight because of your coach. It's a talent to be a 'keeper which Gomez does have otherwise he wouldnt be where he is.

Could be more to do with adapting to life in engerland and settling in. The coach should have some sort of input at that level but there are other people at the club who are supposed to support players in thier transaition to a new country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I understand Redknapp is after our tea lady as well.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Reminds me of Barthez. A liability. Some keepers/players are not suited to the premiership. Good in a differant league/country but just not making the grade to the prem, where mistakes are punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I understand Redknapp is after our tea lady as well.:rolleyes:

Nooo! Not Doris!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

sparkzter wrote: »
    Some keepers/players are not suited to the premiership. Good in a differant league/country but just not making the grade to the prem, where mistakes are punished.
    I don't think this argument really holds water when it comes to keepers - allowing a tame ball from your centre-half to float magically through your body and into the net is crap in any league or country. And of all the positions on the pitch, goalkeeping mistakes are pretty much always punished - they're certainly a lot more punishable anyway.

For Gomes, the only question is whether it's form or innate talent - presumably it's the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I don't think this argument really holds water when it comes to keepers - allowing a tame ball from your centre-half to float magically through your body and into the net is crap in any league or country. And of all the positions on the pitch, goalkeeping mistakes are pretty much always punished - they're certainly a lot more punishable anyway.

For Gomes, the only question is whether it's form or innate talent - presumably it's the former.

Gomez is still not good enough for the prem. Mistakes such as coming to collect crosses that you're not going to take may not be punished in a slower or less combative league. No second chances to collect and no time for the ball to even bounce in some cases before some sharp, physical and goal hungry poacher (of which there are 1 in every team), will no doubt capitalise on any clown of a stopper. Form changes, whilst Gomez is consistently bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

sparkzter wrote: »
    Reminds me of Barthez. A liability. Some keepers/players are not suited to the premiership. Good in a differant league/country but just not making the grade to the prem, where mistakes are punished.

Do teams not get corners or free kicks in other countries?

Gomes is suffering a serious crisis of confidence, I said it after the defeat away to Udinese, he looked about 4ft trudging off the pitch.

Joining a team that fell to pieces in the early part of the season was not the ideal introduction to English football, at times he was like Davy Crockett at the Alamo fending off attack after attack, only Davy Crockett had a better chance of survival...

According to top top triffic on Sky today:
    Tony parks told Harry that technically Gomes has absolutely everything required to be a top keeper.

Parks thinks confidence is shot and he can work with him

Also, and this carries much more weight for me:
    Legendary Dutch coach Guus Hiddink believes Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has to be patient with goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes.

The Brazilian shot-stopper has come in for fierce criticism of late following a number of inept showings between the posts, including a costly error at Fulham last weekend which ultimately cost Spurs a point.

Gomes fumbled Simon Davis' cross into the net to mark the latest of a series of blunders, which has already prompted speculation that Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is on the lookout for a new goalkeeper.

But Hiddink, who brought Gomes to PSV Eindhoven when he was in charge there, insists he just needs time to adjust to English football.

Hiddink told The Sun: "I'm very surprised to hear things have not been going so well but in his first six months at PSV he needed time to adapt.

"Football in Holland is very different from Brazil. He must be given some time in England where the game is different again.
    He is a world-class keeper.

"Gomes is not afraid and he has fantastic reflexes. He also commands his area.

"He was exceptional to help PSV win two titles and was almost single-handedly responsible for getting the club to the Champions League semi-final."

Gomes has conceded 20 goals in Spurs' 13 Premier League fixtures so far this season, keeping just two clean sheets against Wigan and Bolton, and shipping four goals to London rivals Arsenal in October's pulsating 4-4 draw.

But Redknapp insists he is standing by his goalkeeper and says he will retain his position when Spurs host Blackburn on Saturday.

Should his failings see him ousted from the side, then Redknapp does have reserve keeper Cesar Sanchez and youngster Ben Alnwick to deputise.

Advertisement