Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XPS 1730 Equivalent Spec

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Was considering purchasing the above laptop off ebay as there are some nice priced machines particularly the 2.8ghz extreme x9000 processor with the twin 8800 gtx gpu's but with all the previous post's on dodgy nVidia chips I've been getting cold feet.

I know people are saying its only the G84 and G86's that are effected but if Nvidia are prepared to still sell these faulty chip's then who knows what other stock is dodgy. Anyway was considering getting a machine with AMD processors and was wondering what is the equivalent AMD chip for the 8800gtx or do they make a better one, and also what laptop would be equivalent to the XPS1730 that I just mentioned with the AMD gpu's in a twin set up.

Did'nt know whether to put this in laptops or graphics forum. If its in the wrong place moderators please feel free to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

In the same boat..need a good laptop for lans as I'm sick of lugging my PC around.
    Alienware has a good model 17"
    Core 2 Duo with ATI 512MB 3870 video card..there's also the option of x-fire on it.
    Comes out at around the €1500 mark so seems to be cheaper than the xps.

http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detail_pages/M17/m17_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-EU-LT-M17&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

yhwh wrote: »
    Was considering purchasing the above laptop off ebay as there are some nice priced machines particularly the 2.8ghz extreme x9000 processor with the twin 8800 gtx gpu's but with all the previous post's on dodgy nVidia chips I've been getting cold feet.
    There are no credible reports than the 8800M GTX is affected by any Nvidia reliability issue. That doesnt mean you should buy it, but i definitely wouldn't avoid buying based on some conjecture by internet randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

In the same boat..need a good laptop for lans as I'm sick of lugging my PC around.
    Alienware has a good model 17"
    Core 2 Duo with ATI 512MB 3870 video card..there's also the option of x-fire on it.
    Comes out at around the €1500 mark so seems to be cheaper than the xps.

http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detail_pages/M17/m17_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-EU-LT-M17&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

9600gt is almost the same as HD3870 and you get one for €691 off laptopsdirect.
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo TP7350 2.26 GHz Dual-Core
    RAM - 3 GB (installed) 4 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive - 250 GB
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    Screen - 15.4 in TFT active matrix 1280 x 800 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
    Optical Drive - DVD±RW (DL) / DVD-RAM
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9600
    Bluetooth - No
    Warranty - 1 year warranty

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_5930G_Laptop_LX.AQ40X.040/version.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

uh oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

There are no credible reports than the 8800M GTX is affected by any Nvidia reliability issue. That doesnt mean you should buy it, but i definitely wouldn't avoid buying based on some conjecture by internet randomers.
    There are certainly a lot of them failing and Dell are taking their time replacing them under warranty. I've been waiting five weeks for mine and I know some people who have been waiting up to three months.
    According to a person in Dell that I spoke with, there is a backorder on 8800M GTXs of over 200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

to be honest with you i would leave that laptop and get a desktop if it's strictly for gaming. the xps laptops are ok but a laptop 8800gtx graphics card is nowere near as good as a 8800gtx desktop card don't expect much even with sli. my brother has one and it's not great. desktop is the way to go for gaming i know.

plus be prepared to be sending it back for repairs regularly as heat is a major issue with them. sli is rubbish anyway i used to run it. it's a waste of a good card to be using it in sli. plus many a time you will have to wait ages for a new driver to come out that will take advantage of the particular game to run in sli for full performance. think about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the threads a year old, folks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

the threads a year old, folks. :)

aw man i think i need to go to specsavers how did i miss that.

Advertisement