Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell - So pissed off with them

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Have an issue concerning Dell,

Probably a waste of time writing this but im just so angry right now i need to vent,

Have an issue with my XPS laptop, availed of the next day callout service.

Asked them to CONFIRM that an engineer would come, because it would require me to take the day off work, so i made them confirm multiple times that this would happen, so I would not be wasting this day. They assured me 100% that he would come, confirmed the address a few times also.

Now this morning having taken the day off, I get a call saying that the address is wrong and he won't be able to come.

He said they can come tomorrow but of course this is no ****ing good to me.

So that's it basically, don't know what to do about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can you bring it with you to work, and get them to collect it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Well they offered this but my work isn't the kind of place that allows random people to enter,

Needs time in advance to allow them entry for security reasons.

I'm just so angry about this, cos I could see it coming, and thats why I made them confirm so many times that this wouldnt happen :(

It doesn't have to be that complicated. Give Dell your mobile number and get them to call you when they are there. Go outside, give them your laptop, go back inside. No security issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Unfortunately that is life. Dell contract a third party to do its call out service. You will just have to work around them and try get it done.

Mr E wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be that complicated. Give Dell your mobile number and get them to call you when they are there. Go outside, give them your laptop, go back inside. No security issues there.

The oncall service comes, FIXES the laptop in your home. They don't take it away.

Fantastic service isn't it? When they actually bother their hole turning up.

I can't clear a technician to enter the work building so it's not possible at work.

And I am in from tomorrow to Tuesday, so not only am I without the laptop for work, I wont be able to get it fixed for almost another week now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

WellyJ wrote: »
    I get a call saying that the address is wrong and he won't be able to come.
    What was wrong with the address?

The oncall service comes, FIXES the laptop in your home. They don't take it away.

Fantastic service isn't it? When they actually bother their hole turning up.

I can't clear a technician to enter the work building so it's not possible at work.

And I am in from tomorrow to Tuesday, so not only am I without the laptop for work, I wont be able to get it fixed for almost another week now.
    Could you leave it somewhere else - at someone elses house or workplace or something?

What was wrong with the address?

I told them Dublin 12, the Engineer said he had it written as Dublin 13,

He called from Malahide, and apparently that meant he cant come......

For whatever reason I don't know, he wasnt very detailed, and he called on private number of course so I couldn't call back,

Sounded to me like he wasn't interested in making the arduous journey across the M50.
    Could you leave it somewhere else - at someone elses house or workplace or something?

Working on this now, hoping my neighbour will be around so they can fix it in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Guys,
    Have an issue with my XPS laptop, availed of the next day callout service.

What's the issue you're having exactly? We might be able to come up with a fix for ya in the space of time it'll take Dell to work out how to visit you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For whatever reason I don't know, he wasnt very detailed, and he called on private number of course so I couldn't call back,
    I hate that!
    Sounded to me like he wasn't interested in making the arduous journey across the M50.
    Lazy bastard. You can understand that they have quotas and deadlines, but when it was his fault he should have made the effort.

I wonder are these guys contractors or directly employed by Dell.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    What's the issue you're having exactly? We might be able to come up with a fix for ya in the space of time it'll take Dell to work out how to visit you.

Got a spare motherboard for an m1330 with the Geforce 8400GS integrated and a new DVDRW drive?

:D

Sorry, thought it was for collection. :(
    Thats a bit of a balls alright....

I wonder are these guys contractors or directly employed by Dell.
    They are contracted but i'd say it is an external company contracted not individual contracted onsite technicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Got a spare motherboard for an m1330 with the Geforce 8400GS integrated and a new DVDRW drive?

:D

Funny you should mention that...

There's one sitting in my back pocket... I just have to make sure that I...

Ohhh dammit I had to go and sit in this chair! Erh... sorry man this one is of no use to you now :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Wellyj there are loads of us that have had the prob with motherboard. The gas thing is that its the nvidia graphics card overheating that causes the prob but dell won't fix the issue, they only replace the motherboard until you're out of warranty.

I had this problem with an xps m1330. Had next day on site guarantee but it took them a week to get someone to me after telling me it would be one day and nobody showed up, turned out nobody had even booked an appointment. Also because its all outsourced they won't give you a time. I asked countless times for an estimated time but was only ever told between 9-5.30. When i finally got the tech he was great. Because they're an outsourced company they won't do collect now, they will only fix it then and there, which is a bit of a pain because you have to arrange the time off work.

If they fix it this time and it fails again remember the first fix has to be permanent, if its not you're entitled to a replacement. Took me months to sort out, i certainly wouldn't want to be in your position now! Good luck!!!

LolaDub wrote: »
    Wellyj there are loads of us that have had the prob with motherboard. The gas thing is that its the nvidia graphics card overheating that causes the prob but dell won't fix the issue, they only replace the motherboard until you're out of warranty.

I had this problem with an xps m1330. Had next day on site guarantee but it took them a week to get someone to me after telling me it would be one day and nobody showed up, turned out nobody had even booked an appointment. Also because its all outsourced they won't give you a time. I asked countless times for an estimated time but was only ever told between 9-5.30. When i finally got the tech he was great. Because they're an outsourced company they won't do collect now, they will only fix it then and there, which is a bit of a pain because you have to arrange the time off work.

If they fix it this time and it fails again remember the first fix has to be permanent, if its not you're entitled to a replacement. Took me months to sort out, i certainly wouldn't want to be in your position now! Good luck!!!

Yeh i noticed that there are hundreds of reports about this exact issue all over the internet,

So basically this new motherboard will fail eventually also?

My warranty runs out next month, so if it fails in 6 months time i am screwed?

Should I push for a new laptop, and actually, are the new m1330s still being built with this defect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Guys,

Asked them to CONFIRM that an engineer would come, because it would require me to take the day off work, so i made them confirm multiple times that this would happen, so I would not be wasting this day. They assured me 100% that he would come, confirmed the address a few times also.

Looks to me like someone might have got your address wrong on purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Yeh i noticed that there are hundreds of reports about this exact issue all over the internet,

So basically this new motherboard will fail eventually also?

My warranty runs out next month, so if it fails in 6 months time i am screwed?

Should I push for a new laptop, and actually, are the new m1330s still being built with this defect?

My replacement motherboard failed in 6 days! When i got the replacement they said they wanted the old lap top back as they used it for parts! As you can tell from the sketchy typing the keyboard is acting up.

Tbh in your position i would phone the nca (national consumer agency) and ask their advice, i think if a product is faulty then it has to be fixed regardless of warranty. I'm not sure if you can get a replacement out of warranty? Dell make it very very difficult to get anything from them, it honestly tooks months, of calls and emails to get a replacement. I was even told i had no statutory rights as i was in ireland:confused:

Ok its now 1630 and I was promised an engineer between 9 and 1730 today,

They apologised like crazy over what happened yesterday and said it would be sorted today 100%

My friend has been sitting in his apartment all day waiting.....

If they do not come before 1730 what the **** is going on??

How can they get away with this kind of behaviour??

God it's so ****ing frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

The only way I could counteract my mother board failing was to buy one of those Tray things to help cool my M1710 laptop down. I have had dell replcae it twice and same sh!t over and over. Its defo the graphics cards. I was talking to Dell in the US as I spent most of this year over there and they are very aware of this problem especially with the XPS range of laptops. The graphics cards are burning up mother boards all over the place.

Oh and wellj I feel for you over the engineer. Had some pr!ck do the same to me called me told me he wasn't in the area and I was lucky I had a week off but it turned out the guy that came actually lived around the corner from me. I challenged him on the fact he couldn't make the previous appointment and he fed me BS that it wasn't him.:rolleyes: Muppetts

• Advertisement

Ok, I am literally seething with rage now....

They finally decided to call me,

And it was a recorded message, an english woman saying that the parts needed to fix the laptop are currently not in stock,

And they would contact me whenever they had some.

I cannot believe this, I really cannot believe this,

I will never recommend or buy a dell product as long as i live.

How can they not be in stock today? When the engineer had them yesterday, but just couldnt be bothered driving over to my place????

How could I contact someone high up about this?

All of Dell's numbers go to some ****ing place in India where no one seems able to help at all.

God I have never been so pissed off over a customer service incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

@Achilles- lol at your signature, I saw that today in Ubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I will never recommend or buy a dell product as long as i live.

How can they not be in stock today? When the engineer had them yesterday, but just couldnt be bothered driving over to my place????

How could I contact someone high up about this?

All of Dell's numbers go to some ****ing place in India where no one seems able to help at all.

God I have never been so pissed off over a customer service incident.
    Another happy Dell customer :rolleyes:, welcome to the hell that is Dell ! You got to love their customer service, I could tell you some horror stories myself.

Hope you get sorted out quick enough, took me near two months & 3 replacemets once just to get an LCD sorted, had two PC orders go missing, ended up waiting 9 weeks from order date the list goes on.....

I'd never go Dell again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I have heard too many horror stories to list.
    Some people waiting up to six month to get a rep out after being stalled and stalled and stalled again...

Dell, nice when working but can be (and usually is) a pain when faults enviably happens.

Thats when I get a call and asked to fix them!

What really annoys me is that i love the m1330, its perfect for what i need,

And it worked great for a year almost.

Bah....

As soon as i get it fixed im selling it and moving on,

Any recommendations on similar 13" laptops?

Maybe 15.4 but not larger.

Geforce 8400m GS is minimum i would want in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Used to recommend them years ago.

Will never touch them again. Nor would I recommend them. They are no longer cheap, a complete nightmare to upgrade and have criminal customer service.

Also signed up for the 24 in-home service. When my dvd write fried, I contacted them listing out everything I did, thus verifying that it was the hardware itself. Over the following month, I spent hours talking and web chatting to people in India, all of them asking me to repeat again the basic troubleshooting before eventually posting a replacement drive (received 5 weeks after first reporting the problem.

Exactly how I would have done all the troubleshooting and replacing the drive by myself had I been some granny, I have no idea. And the worst part is that I knowingly payed extra for that warranty package becuase I the fast response is critical to me (thank god it was the dvd write, had it been cpu/ ram, mobo etc and I had no computer for 5 weeks I would have personally traveled to Limerick and the gang fueds would have ben the last of that city's worries!

You could try suing them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they have now failed to repair on the day/time they specified so you have grounds to seek a replacement or refund as dell cant repair!

also if they eventually replace the parts that repair should be permenant so if it fails again a few days/weeks after your warrenty ends dell are still responsible for it as their repair was not permenant!

Advertisement