Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using a 3G iPhone in NY

• 19-11-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

guys need some advice here. I am going to ny for a couple of days and would like to bring my iPhone with for browsing purposes. I have slot of negative feedback about people roaming with data and the excessive charges.

I know to turn off data roaming but can I use the skyhook system while ian there r does any one know what the best thing to do.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

nanook wrote: »
    guys need some advice here. I am going to ny for a couple of days and would like to bring my iPhone with for browsing purposes. I have slot of negative feedback about people roaming with data and the excessive charges.

I know to turn off data roaming but can I use the skyhook system while ian there r does any one know what the best thing to do.

Many thanks

Very expensive to data roam in the States. Not sure what you mean by using the skyhook system, do you mean you want to use for location based services? it still has to connect to internet to download the maps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Op if you switch of data romaing you wont get any data charges as you wont get any datat from the internet.

A quick search for skyhook and it says it a positioning system as long as data roaming is turned off i dont see how you will get data charges the gps and cell tower positiong and wifi location id work independetly of that you just need wifi on and location services on

Rob_l wrote: »
    Op if you switch of data romaing you wont get any data charges as you wont get any datat from the internet.

A quick search for skyhook and it says it a positioning system as long as data roaming is turned off i dont see how you will get data charges the gps and cell tower positiong work independetly of that

But whats the point in location based services if you aren't connected to the net to use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

But whats the point in location based services if you aren't connected to the net to use them?
    in wifi areas the map will load up this will then stay on phone until you reload it and the gps will still locate you on that map, your wont be able to search or get directions but you will know were you are on the map

Rob_l wrote: »
    in wifi areas the map will load up this will then stay on phone until you reload it and the gps will still locate you on that map, your wont be able to search or get directions but you will know were you are on the map

Means having to go find free wifi all the time, and there isn't that much of it in NY. If you know the location of free wifi, then why would you need to find out your location?

• Advertisement
Advertisement