Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have BT, Linxsys WRT54GS wireless router not working...New package or switch?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I've gone through lots of posts here trying to find an answer but I'm still confused. Here's my problem and i hope some of you have a suggestion for me:

1.) My Linksys 54GS is unreliable. It's currently not letting me connect wirelessly, and i just called them to help me reconnect only 2 weeks ago. i don't want to call them again and waste an hour of my time. I think I need a new wireless router. I've had to call them several times this year to get the router back working.

2.) I currently have BT Broadband and Talk 2 http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_talk.shtml

for $46 a month. With my national, local, and international calls adding a further €15 or so a month (my BT bill was €60 for last month). I'm getting this on my speed test 358542784.png. My computer is directly linked up to the BT ZyXEL Prestige 600 modem for this test as my Linksys is not working.

3.) I can sign a new contract with BT to get the #3 package for €56, which has a free wireless modem (solves the Linksys problem), up to 7.6 downoad and free unlimited upload (i'm in Newbridge), any call in Ireland is charged as local, and I could optionally add the extra €5 to charge intl calls as local.

4.) I can switch to a new provider. Am very confused here as there are a lot of options. Hear good and bad about UPC/NTL/Chorus. Dont want to spend more than I'm spending now (around €60 per month).

PLEASE help me decide what to do!!! Switch or just go with a new BT package? I haven't had any problems with BT yet, just the Linksys. i would like faster broadband as I upload a lot of photos.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Hello,

I also use a bt connection with a WRT54GS. In general i have not had any problems with it.

From what you are saying there, You router is connecting to the internet, you are you able to connect to the internet via the lan cable ports but not wireless to a laptop for instance (is this correct)?

If this is so i might be able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The wrt54gs is a fantastic router as you can overwrite the firmware and put on even better open source versions.

The most likely cause is settings or distance from the router wirelessly. Have you tried a direct cable connection to the router to make sure it's not the wifi settings that are the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

I've posted the same query on askaboutmoney.com and have got a reply that will seem to work. http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=97400

I'll try it and see if it works! Thanks for your replies.

Advertisement