Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....

• 19-11-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

Just a heads-up in case anyone wanted to get some last minute skiing in before christmas while things are still quiet and accommodation is easy to find.

Austria is supposed to get a lot of snowfall this weekend. Resorts usually plan to open around the 8th Dec (so probably the 6th this year). They might even open earlier if there's enough snow but check the resorts for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

dont tempt me, already have two and a half trips booked.... just going to have to live in my snowboard bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Im just waiting for the snow here in Norway, i live about 1 half hours from a small ski resort called, Gautefall, so ill be headin up most weekends to get some practice in before the big trip to Austria in Feb.

Theres another resort but its 4 hour drive up north called Hovden, they already have snow and are opening next week! Wish it was'nt such a long drive up there.

Come on snow! i gots me all brand new gear this year and i cant wait to try it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Overflow wrote: »
    Come on snow! i gots me all brand new gear this year and i cant wait to try it out!
    I got myself a helmet and i'm in no rush to really test it out ;)
    Skis should be ready for collection after waxing this evening - so me is ready too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Already booked France for 16th Dec for 4 days! Cant wait to go :)

Commmeeeee on the Snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Poster King

Yes, lots of snow forecast for this weekend all over the Alps, could be up to 1m in some places and temperatures are set to stay low for a while.
    Already have a group of 5 heading there via Geneva Thursday week for 3days on the mountains. Zermatt is looking the est option with lots of snow already. Val Thorens will also be open and Val d'Isere on the 29th Nov. Other resorts are talking about opening early, especially for weekends (Verbier for example).
    Val d'Isere are having a VIP day for competition winners on the 28thNov. Mountain reserved for 300 winners. Anyone know anything abou this. Would love to gate crash it as Val d'I is my favourite spot. Might do a day in Val Th and then head over there if we don't go to Zermatt/Saas Fee area.
    Accomodation is dirt cheap at this early stage, and ski passes are usually reduced also.

It is defo well worth considering a trip. Flights with Aer Lingus (assuming they are not on strike) are only €102 incl taxes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I'm too poor to book anything yet! :(

Still though, I have just come off a full season. :D Although it's about 9 weeks since I've boarded, or maybe 10, and I'm going nuts without it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

going skiing to Italy on december 7th!!!
    Man i hope theres some snow at least, temperatures look good but very little snow has fallen!! :(

supposedly they have a lot of snow cannons so hopefully should be ok!

AFAIK the norm is to wait for a base before pumping on the snow guns. Hate to burst your bubble, I could be wrong. Should be snowing naturally by then anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Your probably onto something there about them only turning on cannons when there is already some snow settled. I expect that just becasuse the temperature is reading cold enough for snow does not mean that the ground is actually cold enough for it to settle so they won't waste effort in turning on the cannos until they know it will stick.

Different quality of snow too, and it tends to stick, and consequently break off in large chunks, which you don't want happening to your base. Anyone who's shovelled it will know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

i see what you mean....

been checking the snow reports + its looking a bit more promising so should be ok..........maybe, hopefully :)

Its coming down like theres no tomorrow, in Saalbach at least!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Acording to the weather forum, its ment to snow in Ireland next week end.

Probably(deffinatly) not going to be enough to ski/board in, but hey, SNOW! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

CianRyan wrote: »
    Acording to the weather forum, its ment to snow in Ireland next week end.

Probably(deffinatly) not going to be enough to ski/board in, but hey, SNOW! :D

And you could try out your mountain bike without having to trek to Europe :)

Yep!!!
    Was talking to my mate about it last night, if it snows, im getting him to cycle 32 miles up into the montains with me to hit some trails!

Probably suicidal...
    ahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Neilthefunkee1

In Whistler, Hills to open Wednesday/Thursday.. So excited, until i realised i havnt got my pass yet.. mad scramble today to get work to force through my cheap season pass.. hopefully it will be done..

Took a little hike this evening up the lower slopes and its lookin a bit patch but hopefully the uppers will be well nicely coated!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

CianRyan wrote: »
    Yep!!!
    Was talking to my mate about it last night, if it snows, im getting him to cycle 32 miles up into the montains with me to hit some trails!

Probably suicidal...
    ahaha

I'm working 5am to lunchtime this week, if it snows on higher ground, I'm off to Oughterard to see if Derroura got any - the boards in snow will be lethal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

I wont see snow until January(unless forecast for some here is right) and it is killing me! Desperately wanted to get away for a long weekend or something early december but still trying to scramble money together for 14weeks in Canada so not a chance I can afford it....
    Getting my ski fix from that new ski centre in Sandyford at mo though, so that will have to tide me over for now.

Getting my ski fix from that new ski centre in Sandyford at mo though, so that will have to tide me over for now.

Whats that place like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

Its amazing for working on technique, caus its so unforgiving(and there is a massive mirror in front of you so you can see what your doing at all times). I had a breakthrough just yesterday with my edge change in short turns. Its no skiing down a mountain, but it will do until I get away. Plus in the gym they have these ski specific machines called skiers edge which pretty much mimic the motion of skiing which will be handy for stregnthening the legs before I go.

• Advertisement

I've been trying to get into exercising since I got back from NZ to keep myself in shape for Germany (which OT got dumped on over the weekend) but my right knee has been clicking like crap so I can't do anything. Stupid ligaments. Ribs are also still in trouble some 15+ weeks later! :-o

I've been glued to this thread in the weather forum, in hope that they are right.
    They all seem pretty hopefull that Ireland could get a fair bit of snow in january, might be intersting to you some of you guys too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055419855

If it snows here and if I have boots when it does I'm going hiking! Don't care if the run is 50m long, I'm still going! :D

Looking forward to wizzing past you on my bike. ;)
    hahaha

Really have to sort out my own board.
    Job hunt it is...

Another unemployed boarder with aspirations beyond their means?! Thought I was the only one! :p

Don1 wrote: »
    unemployed boarder/guitarist/skater/biker/tattoo lover with aspirations beyond their means?!

Fixed that for ya. :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055427974

Acording to the weather forum, the chances of snow are getting higher.

People inland look like they might get the best of it, if it happens, and obviously people in higher grounds.
    I think some one said lugnaquilla already had some snow.

Read more about the forcomming weather in that thread i've linked too.

Wonder would that mad bastid who landed the chopper on the multistorey carpark would be interested in doing heli-ski up to Lug when it does snow??!! The back side of that (opposite the Glen of Amal side) would be pretty sweet I reckon. It is about 10 years since I climbed it though.......
    Still need to get boots though. Feck.

That would be an interesting idea.
    I was looking at some pics of Lug in snow, the slopes do look pretty nice, and when it does snow it looks like there is a nice coverage on average.

Dont see why he woudlnt, as long as its not in a blizzard.
    Now to see if i could get my bike up there.
    haha

• Advertisement

Also from my memory it tends to be grass based surface as opposed to rocks and crap so it would be doable. There are still rocks though so I'd imagine I'd find them! :D
    Good luck biking down that! Very vertical! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

I'm thinking about heading up sally gap or possibly two rock if there is a decent amount of snow, maybe build a kicker....

Anyone have any idea what the terrain is like around there?

Generally with these things the problem is not finding the snow, but finding a slope steep enough...

paulharte wrote: »
    I'm thinking about heading up sally gap or possibly two rock if there is a decent amount of snow, maybe build a kicker....

Anyone have any idea what the terrain is like around there?

Generally with these things the problem is not finding the snow, but finding a slope steep enough...

Its a bog, so...
    You migh just sink into it.

Heading further a feild you could find some places to build a some kickers and the like.
    Cant think of anywhere in perticular though.

I'm no expert though, might aswell check out the ground around there.
    If it snows, there will be at least 6"-12" foot up there id say.
    But i am quite an optimistic guy. haha

Don: I've flew down some pretty steep stuff, but the likes of the south prison, would probably just kill me. >.<
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

I just finished booking my trip to Japan. New Years in Tokyo and then a bullet train to Hakuba to board far a couple of days. I have just read that the resorts were open last week...sweet!!!

Just finishe 3 magical days in Zermatt. Friday wasn't great but yesterday and today were awesome. Great snow, empty pistes, plenty of powder. Very cold today.

*jealousy*

• Advertisement

@Poster King Where are the Pictures!! Jealous too :) Hope you had a good one!

I vote Poster King get perma banned for rubbing our faces in it! :D

Only joking. Fair play, lucky fecker. I suppose I was doing the same when in NZ.

We just got our first bit of snow here today in southern Norway, about 3 inches, set to snow for the next few days according to the weather man! I might just get to try out all my new snowboarding gear a little earlier than i thought :)

@Poster King Where are the Pictures!! Jealous too :) Hope you had a good one!

Unfortunately my own camera gave up the ghost, so I have to wait for one of my friends to send me all his pics.

Lifts in Zermatt are great now. They have invested a lot of Swiis Francs over the last few years. The lifts on the Cervinia side are great too.

Zermatt last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

I just opened the first image and had to shut it straight away again. It hurt to look at snow when I amn't getting any!

Just got a nice dashing of snow over here in Norway, everything is nice and white outside and the temp is about -4 right now, so i think ill be heading up to the local resort, about an hour and a half away, next weekend for a bit o practice :D

I'm off to Saalbach for the next 2 days. Supposed to snow some more tonight :D :pac: :D

Im so jealous, the conditions over there look great! Have a good one.

:D

Sunday was so tiring - snowed all day, visibility was pretty bad as it was dark and very hard to see where the loose snow ended and the bumps began. Was basically like a whole day of off-piste like skiing.

Today was amazing - you could see for miles and miles. Real off-piste was amazing and the pistes were pretty good too. Very few people too as all the shops were open in Austria (bank holidays and sundays are usually closed). Pity I was so tired from yesterday :(

One thing that shocked me a bit - prices in Saalbach town seem higher - food and especially drink seem way too high. 4.30 for a pint in the Baueralm (that's about 1€ more than in the rest of Austria) and we were charged 5.60 for a pint in the Turm :o
    Lift cards were reasonable and the huts on the mountain were also ok.

Advertisement