Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for safe banks!! Help please

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello everyone...
    I am looking for an advice on which bank is safe in Ireland in this financial turmoil.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Zenn
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zenn

Thanks for the reply.
    I know about Rabo bank but they only deal with online transactions isnt it?
    What about HSBC? any clue on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

HSBC are foreign but national banks are supported by the government guarantee scheme and would be safe imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Not sure about bricks and mortar banks .. I think the new postbank may be a good offering in the current climate - http://www.postbank.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most banks are "safe" to one extent or another.

Unless you give people some specific worries you have, you will only get vague and (as we've seen) not always correct answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 zenn

Details...
    Hmm...I am only looking for some bank where I could keep my hard earned savings safe and secure. I want my mind to stop thinking about the banks going bust everywhere and the fright it brings to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Ok, do you have more than 100k in funds? Yes or no? If no then stick it in any bank you like, in yes then put in a few banks and reduce you total holdings to under 100k with any one bank. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fud Duddy

I was just browsing and noticed Unclebill's post. As far as I was aware all savings either above or below 100k were safe under the government scheme. Correct if I'm wrong please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Fud Duddy wrote: »
    I was just browsing and noticed Unclebill's post. As far as I was aware all savings either above or below 100k were safe under the government scheme. Correct if I'm wrong please.

Not all Banks operating in Ireland signed up to the Irish Government Scheme. But all the banks have the 100k protection in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Correct - the only "issue" is having to wait for a government refund if a bank did "go under" - In which case you choose a bank less likely to go under...

• Advertisement
Advertisement