Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in two cars for one new one...

Options
  • 19-11-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know someone that would have traded in two 2nd hand cars and bought one new one? Would be difficult in todays market, but has it happened before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

i'd say very difficult to do these days. You'll probably take a big hit!
    Did you try selling yourself?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know someone that would have traded in two 2nd hand cars and bought one new one? Would be difficult in todays market, but has it happened before?

Just make sure you take any dirty aul Man Utd stickers off the windows. Will be worth more then. :pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Or even better Paulo, add a few Celtic stickers!!

i'd say very difficult to do these days. You'll probably take a big hit!
    Did you try selling yourself?

Just curious.... My mind is scheming here, dont mind me.. Be better to sell privately ok im sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just curious.... My mind is scheming here, dont mind me.. Be better to sell privately ok im sure.

You'll get really poor trade-in allowances with 2 cars Brewster, and I would guess that some dealers just might not want the hassle. They don't like taking trade-ins as it stands, let alone 2 cars. Sell them privately if you can, or one of them at least.

No harm in asking a few dealers though, just out of curiousity to see what they offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

course it can be done, the discount on the new car will be divided between the 2 trade ins, something which the customer never understands

Can you elaborate Silver Tiger?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My father was trying to trade in his Megane last year so I gave him my Laguna to try and trade also. He went into the Renault garage and they said they would not take the Laguna because they would never shift it.

A renault garage cannot shift its own branded stock. For Shame.

Anyway I would figure they would screw you on the value of both cars if they even bother to consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

course it can be done, the discount on the new car will be divided between the 2 trade ins, something which the customer never understands

Yes it will be divided between two, therefore halving the margin. So where as the dealer would of had a certain amount to put into one car, he now has to spread that over two. Therefore, to make it feasible for him, he knocks of alot on the trade in prices to compensate for this. Also knocking off more to compensate for the fact he has to now take the risk of having two cars depriciating on his fourcourt over one. Especially in times like this when dealers won't take one trade in, it'll be doubly as tough to trade in two.

Can you elaborate Silver Tiger?!

Just say you were buying a 06 focus @ 14k

The dealer needs to take back 12k therefore he has 2k margin

If you were buying the car straight, the dealer would offer it to you for 12k straight.

If you were trading in a 02 focus worth say 4k(to the dealer) in the trade
    he would allow you 6k for the 02 focus. asking 8k cash from you

If you had 2 identical 02 focus(worth 4k) to trade in he would offer you 5k for each one of them splitting his margin down the middle for each, asking for 4k from the customer also.

What i was saying is that the customer still looks for the 6k for each and never understands why.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah that makes sense Silver Tiger..... You couldnt expect the 6 for each of them ok......

Ah yeah that makes sense Silver Tiger..... You couldnt expect the 6 for each of them ok......

What are you trading out of curiousity? And planning to buy?

Wheeling and dealing as the man says!! You couldnt be upto me! An 05 TDI sportsline golf, 42k miles and a 04 Focus 30k miles, for a new 25k grand golf......

Could it be done?!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not many dealers want trade-ins at present, they will offer you next to nothing for at least one of those cars, if they want them at all.

Wheeling and dealing as the man says!! You couldnt be upto me! An 05 TDI sportsline golf, 42k miles and a 04 Focus 30k miles, for a new 25k grand golf......

Could it be done?!

Fairly sure there was a fella on here recently who got offered €13,000 for his 06 Golf Tdi, and another who got offered €13,500 for his 07 Focus petrol. How much do you think they are worth each? Including the fact that you are trading in two. Better to get the shock here, when you on your own infront of a computer, than sitting down infront of a salesperson lol:D

Could it be done?!

of course it could but the two are goin to take a hit
    Imo you could be offered 12k for the golf and 7-8k for the focus, looking for 5-6k off yourself

They really wont be worried about registering the new cars so you may get hit for more.
    If you were buying a 06 GTI that the dealer cant get rid of the tables could turn a lil bit.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

Hi
    We sold two cars and bought one new car but it was at the end of 2006. Even at that stage we were getting very little on trade in, in fact they almost said they didn't want a trade in. So we put them on car zone and sold one the next day, it was desirable to one person and the second car took longer and we also reduced the price so a few people were interested. I agree the price is everything unfortunately and we were happy with what we got in 2006. My guess is selling privately will still be more than what you will get as a trade in. Good luck with it.

of course it could but the two are goin to take a hit
    Imo you could be offered 12k for the golf and 7-8k for the focus, looking for 5-6k off yourself

They really wont be worried about registering the new cars so you may get hit for more.
    If you were buying a 06 GTI that the dealer cant get rid of the tables could turn a lil bit.

Best of luck

Id take those prices, bit higher on golf maybe and a bit lower on focus as its my rich mates!! If I was just trading in golf Id say most id get was 12/13 being realistic.

Id say the Focus could be a better seller privately cos of its low mileage and lower asking price. 6500 for Focus, would be cheaper than most cars on carzone or cbg....It hasnt been advertised at all, Golf has been online on and off since summer and not a hint of sale...

Fairly sure there was a fella on here recently who got offered €13,000 for his 06 Golf Tdi, and another who got offered €13,500 for his 07 Focus petrol. How much do you think they are worth each? Including the fact that you are trading in two. Better to get the shock here, when you on your own infront of a computer, than sitting down infront of a salesperson lol:D

Cheers, there was a poster in the Golf thread said he was offered 13k in one spot and 16k in next. I rang a garage this morning and they said they were in the process of re evaluating what they will be giving on trade ins....

Cheers, there was a poster in the Golf thread said he was offered 13k in one spot and 16k in next. I rang a garage this morning and they said they were in the process of re evaluating what they will be giving on trade ins....

Do let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Well gentlemen, you werent too far way... Offered me 13k for my golf on a new golf. Not bad not for an over the phone quote..... He has to think about Focus, cudnt give me a price over the phone. I have my car advertised at round 14k and not a call. Cant believe I have had zero interest, really is bad out there. The lads selling golfs for 16 and 17 will have them for a while!

Have you got the Focus advertised? How much do you hope to get for it. I think 13K is very good considering, was that before or after you told him you had the Focus aswell?

Have you got the Focus advertised? How much do you hope to get for it. I think 13K is very good considering, was that before or after you told him you had the Focus aswell?

No thats the golf price on its own against the 25k golf...

Focus not advertised. The Focus isnt mine, the owner isnt that keen to sell privately in case there would be some comeback against him!!! Not a concern I tell him, esp condition of car. I think hed get 6k surely? Although you just wouldnt know. I think it would be easier to sell than my 14k golf.

Advertisement