Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life is 10

Options
2»

Comments

• Remember first playing the uplink demo, a great map which wasn't even in the game. got me hooked. i was playing it on a pentium 200mx with 32mg of ram and windows 95 :P just about ran in software mode but i did'nt care! oh and the first time i used strafe in a fps. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ah! The military is here to save me! Whooohoo! Good game, great fun but a bit short. Oh no...wait...don't shoot me! I'm not a bloody alien!!

I <3 Half Life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Its $0.98 on Steam right now. Ends Friday Nov 21

cool, I bought it, at that price it's worth it to not have to go rooting in my drawer for the CD

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh what a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Dear Half-Life 1, can I please have 10 years of my life back?

Sincerely,
    A Half-Life and all of its offshoots addict.

Edit: Sorry, please take me back L4D, please!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

MooseJam wrote: »
    cool, I bought it, at that price it's worth it to not have to go rooting in my drawer for the CD
    I suppose, but when i got steam i started loading in a notepad document i had of old random cd keys from my documents: turns out one of them was the Generations Pack; added all the 1st generation games to my account for no extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

For a game that was one of Valve's first and that used a comparitively old engine at the time (Quake I), it was an astounding accomplishment!

At the time of it's release I remember being underwhelmed by it. The problem was that I approached it from the Quake mindset of "shoot everything that moves". The first time I played it, I was at a friends house and I took control during one of the first levels where all you were doing was running around talking to scientists and trying to find your biosuit (or whatever it was called).

Months later I got around to playing it from the start and there was no other word for it other than wow! So many memories:
    The train journey in the beginning.
    Trying to shoot the G-Man.
    The headcrabs.
    The green tentacle monster.
    Thinking the army was there to rescue you.
    The big blue monster.

Like others have said, I think I'll have to dig it out and have another play through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I remember seeing it on a computer games show at the time, and recommending it to a friend of mine who had just gotten a new 400Mhz Dell :rolleyes:
    He wasn't convinced, but I told him it looked really cool and that in the video you could hit people with a crowbar and when you pressed the elevator button it crashed with scientists in it :D

Got it myself then and played on my really crappy pc, about 6 frames a second when there was alot going on (remember getting the tranquilizer gun and swimming for my life in "slow motion" ;))

Played through the generations package there about a year ago. Opposing force is the definition of what an Expansion Pack should be tbh. Blueshift, not so much. But the graphical upgrade is ace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is ten years old as well.

We were spoilt, we were.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yup, Ocarina and Half Life within such a short period of time. Two of the best, (if not the best) games ever made. Fantastic memories of both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Strangely, don't ever remember installing Half Life in the past few years - yet it's on my Steam account under 'Not Installed', Opposing Forces and Blue Shift are also there (have never even played Blue Shift) - does it say that for all accounts and then you have to pay or something? Because I do own the rest of the games showing on the list...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Blue Shift wasn't great. You could play through it on hard in a few very short hours, and it didn't add anything new game-wise. Xen was involved, but thankfully not for long. It did round off the story a bit by letting you know how Barney and a few scientists escaped. It was worth playing through once, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

malice_ wrote: »

The train journey in the beginning.

The memories....

Strangely, don't ever remember installing Half Life in the past few years - yet it's on my Steam account under 'Not Installed', Opposing Forces and Blue Shift are also there (have never even played Blue Shift) - does it say that for all accounts and then you have to pay or something? Because I do own the rest of the games showing on the list...

Well, just installed those games and they all work fine - Half Life, Opposing Forces, and Blue Shift - I've definitely never even installed Opposing Forces since it first came out years ago, and have never played Blue Shift in my life - why do I have them in my Steam account? Never installed Half Life 2 or the Episodes via steam either. Not complaining though. Will probably play them all around Christmas, college holidays and a week booked off from work. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, just installed those games and they all work fine - Half Life, Opposing Forces, and Blue Shift - I've definitely never even installed Opposing Forces since it first came out years ago, and have never played Blue Shift in my life - why do I have them in my Steam account? Never installed Half Life 2 or the Episodes via steam either. Not complaining though. Will probably play them all around Christmas, college holidays and a week booked off from work. :)

When you bought half life 2, did you buy the silver box version from the shop? the key that came with that included the rest of the half life series. Was nice to get blue shift, as I'd never played it before.

One nice thing about valve is that they have no problem including old games as an incentive to buy new games, one of the better ways to get people to buy the orange box for example.

CatInABox wrote: »
    When you bought half life 2, did you buy the silver box version from the shop? the key that came with that included the rest of the half life series. Was nice to get blue shift, as I'd never played it before.

One nice thing about valve is that they have no problem including old games as an incentive to buy new games, one of the better ways to get people to buy the orange box for example.

Never bought Half Life 2. :)

The only Steam games I've ever bought are Day of Defeat, Day of Defeat Source and Left 4 Dead. So I'm quite puzzled....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Ah, I remember my brother bought if for me as a Christmas present!:D

Bloody great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Talking about half-life I can remember playing HL2 but think I got stuck and didn't finish it, did it have sand lions or something like that, god I hated them, anyway looking at my games collection I have HL2 episode 1, am I right in thinking there is HL2 then HL2 episode 1 then episode 2 and there is going to be a third some time in the future, would I need to have played HL2 to play episode 1 ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

MooseJam wrote: »
    Talking about half-life I can remember playing HL2 but think I got stuck and didn't finish it, did it have sand lions or something like that, god I hated them, anyway looking at my games collection I have HL2 episode 1, am I right in thinking there is HL2 then HL2 episode 1 then episode 2 and there is going to be a third some time in the future, would I need to have played HL2 to play episode 1 ?

Yes, there is a an HL2:EP1 & HL2:EP2. Valve plan to release HL2:EP3 some time next year.

The episodes continue the storyline arc of Half Life 2 - so yes, you would need to have played HL2 to understand EP1. You should finish it and move on to EP1 & EP2 - I am guessing you would enjoy them!:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You should be ashamed of yourself MooseJam. To think i used to respect your opinion when you'd never even finished Half Life 2 :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement