Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size cable for Electric Gates 120m from House?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I am installing electric gates that are located about 120m from the house and I wanted to check what size cable I should use.

I was thinking that 10sq SWA should be good enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What's the rating of the electric motors?

10sq. sounds like massive overkill to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭collsoft

The motors are actually 24 or 48 Volt as far as I know, but there is a transformr that needs 230V etc. I am nt sure what thepower consumption is.

I was planning on bringing a supply dow to the gate and use it to power gates and lighting at pillars and up the driveway.

I was just worried about voltage drop over the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Its normally poly-poly for the intercom and 2.5 for the motor for a short run .i put in 3 by4 recently for a 70metre run but i didnt do any maths on it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

according to ET101, if the motor was drawing 2 amps (500watts) then you would need 10square - these figures are quite conservative so you may get away with 6 sq but i wouldn't go below 6 square - especially if you're thinking of adding to the circuit in the future

I asked a guy at a company that installs these he says for over 100m use 4sq and over 200m use 6sq and 'outdoor cat 5 'for the intercom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

This question can not be answered until the OP says what size the load is!
    The motors are actually 24 or 48 Volt as far as I know
    They can be, but are often 230 volts. This will not effect cable size as the transformers would be at the gate.

Ya i .guess the motor depends on the gate

Advertisement