Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Greenhouse

Options
  • 19-11-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

thought some of you might like to see the new project, a new greenhouse.

All treated 2"x4" timber frame, 10mm twinwall polycarbonate.

Almost finished...

greenhouse1.jpg

greenhouse2.jpg

greenhouse3.jpg

greenhouse4.jpg

greenhouse5.jpg

greenhouse6.jpg

greenhouse8.jpg

greenhouse9.jpg

greenhouse10.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Thats brilliant! Im looking for a greenhouse at the moment. Would love to build my own but dont have the skills. Fair play to you. What are you going to grow in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

thanks. honestly, a good mitre saw, cordless screwdriver, box of screws, a bit of help, a measuring tape and some dry weather to actaully get the work done. its not too hard. id say the cost is about 6 - 700 euro, but worth every penny. We had a lot of polycarbonate left over from other jobs so most of got used, all was needed was 2 full sheets for the roof. a door now, finish the window and a few shelves.

as faras growing stuff, everything from tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers id say. also start a lot of other veg off and transplant outdoors then.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I,ll probably get mine from b+q,they have a good selection ranging from 400 to a few thousand. I can fit a 10x8 in the garden and still have room to grow stuff outside. I might get a parafin heater. Are you putting in electrics for heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

heat mats. nope. no need in the spring/ summer and late summer. these polycarbonate greenhouses get well hot. very hot, excellent insulating properties. probably need a fan actually! for the winter, still not as cold as outside, will probably grow some winter veg etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I,ll probably get mine from b+q,they have a good selection ranging from 400 to a few thousand. I can fit a 10x8 in the garden and still have room to grow stuff outside. I might get a parafin heater. Are you putting in electrics for heat?

If you really want to heat a greenhouse, electric fan heaters are the best choice. They can be thermostatically controlled, keep the air circulating and are non-polluting. Paraffin on the other hand need regular attention, wick trimming, refilling etc. and give off toxic fumes. They also cause a lot of condensation which can lead to fungal diseases. If you can, instal electricity and get a fan heater specially designed for greenhouses, they have the added benefit as cooling fans on hot days

• Advertisement
Advertisement