Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Problem, corrupt system file

• 19-11-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Right, I don't know a huge amount about computers, i mean i put mine together myself and i can solve most windows based problems myself, but in this instance, windows won't even start, and i'm really wary about fiddling around with anything or re-installing til i get some advice from people who know more.

i'm not sure exactly how it started, for a while the computer was being iffy and taking ages to start up. then it was working fine, then it started telling me i had a corrupt system folder, and to run a disk check, which i did. now it starts up normally, then flicks to thisscreen, and goes no further.

i'm not really sure what to do tbh, i don't want to risk trying anything without advice, i've got a LOT of important stuff on it that i'm afraid of losing, but windows is installed on a different hard drive to all my stored stuff, so i'm hoping it'll be ok. does anyone know what this all means??

edit : i'm running XP home btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Disconnect the slave drive and try rebooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ok... that worked... does that mean my hard drive is ****ed??

i can't understand why it was telling me there was a corrupt system folder, i thought it was a windows problem, but that hard drive doesn't have windows installed on it... argh!

is there any hope for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Seraphina wrote: »
    ok... that worked... does that mean my hard drive is ****ed??

i can't understand why it was telling me there was a corrupt system folder, i thought it was a windows problem, but that hard drive doesn't have windows installed on it... argh!

is there any hope for it?

Try the slave drive in another PC to see if it is readable. If it is run a disk check on it to put right any errors. If it isn't it has become a very good paperweight.

The moral of the story is.......... Backup regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i'm not so concerned about the stuff lost, i actually had very little on that hard drive compared to the other one. but one of my partitions has disappeared on the master drive too.

i'm just wondering is this something i've done or could be avoided? of all stuff in my pc to fail this was probably the least used, so i don't know why this has happened.

Advertisement