Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glencree Centre for Reconciliation

Options
  • 19-11-2008 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hey guys just wondering does anyone have an opinion on whether places like the Glencree Centre for Reconciliation are still necessary in a post-troubles Ireland and if so to what degree? I just find it interesting how much government funding places like this receive and how a lot of people still find it hard to fathom the purposes these places really hold. I'm all for the peace building idea, but I do feel that institutions still dedicated to the troubles at such a level may be causing people to be dwelling on the past rather than the future.

All opinions welcome. I contacted them for information and as of yet they have not replied, so anything would be better than nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Not really a topic for Wicklow, just because you namecheck Glencree.

Moved to Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

First out i'd say say we still have some distance to go in Ireland until there is true reconcilliation, we are only at the first stages of doing this.

Secondly, we may have something to teach those in other countries in what has been successful in our experiences, worth keeping it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

You'd be surprised how little places like that get.

They run courses for schools and other corporate days.
    I've attended courses there back when I was in school, and they were very successful and great fun. Students learn alot when they go up there for the few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

They did get back to me in the end and I will post theire points along with my essay after it has been graded. I don't want to be accusedof plagirism...:D of my own work..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Cool,id like to see what they said! Its been years since i was there.
    Good times! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

From what I understand, although people have stopped killing each other, there is still a lot of mistrust and ill feeling. In order for the north to really move on, this needs to be addressed other wise it could manifest itself again in violence.

I would say that Glencree is needed as much now as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

Glencree gets alot of funding from intrenational governments (US,UK, EU, Aus, NZ) as part of the international fund for ireland(afaik - actually im pretty sure but i can find proof if you want)

also it works on israel, palestine - tamils in sri lanka, and other conflict areas in the world.. it involves a huge voluntary effort, provides tourist facilities to the area to subsidise itself, gives dubliners a place to go to get fresh air & a break from the city, functions as a living reminder of the history of the area going back years, and provides social employment and community links.. provides education and study in mediation of all conflict.. provides a place to facilitate peace meetings on neutral ground.. i could go on

i for one am glad to see western governments channel even the tiny bit of money the do here toward peace rather than the BILLIONS spent on war..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Its a matter of opinion,there are still people that inhabit this island that support,facilitate and enforce British rule in the 6 counties,be it through unionist political parties like the DUP or through Loyalist paramilitary goups who are still very well stocked with arms and still active in attacks on republicans and the nationalist/catholic community........................................on the other side you still have people who are dedicated to a Unitied Ireland,nationalists and republicans like myself,be it political parties like Sinn Fein or armed organisations that are still active,with this sort of mix of people,groups and organisations vehemently opposed to each others beliefs,stances and views,with this mix I think a some place were they can discuss differences in a civil manner is still a necessity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Peace studies are well needed in Ireland - for instance, we have a couple of small drug wars going on that could do with negotiation and conciliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,834 ✭✭✭SeanW

From what I understand, although people have stopped killing each other, there is still a lot of mistrust and ill feeling. In order for the north to really move on, this needs to be addressed other wise it could manifest itself again in violence.

I would say that Glencree is needed as much now as ever.
    Agreed. I'd say keep the place going until all or most traces of sectarian ill-will are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

The whole issue of the Troubles must still be very raw for thousands of people across these islands, so in that sense the need for reconciliation is ongoing and will be for years.

Just because the killing has mostly ended doesn't negate the purpose of places like Glencree. Real healing can only begin in a 'post-troubles' environment anyway imho

Advertisement