Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue when you buy printers from Apple/ Cannon.

Options
  • 19-11-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Spent €1400 on a new apple laptop, i pod and Cannon printer.

Got it all set up yesterday.

Only problem was when I got the pinter working there was no usb cable to connect it to the laptop. Searched high and low but no.

Anyway- rang apple today and they said that the usb cables don't come with the printers. I mean wtf? He said Cannon have stopped doing it. It's like buying a dvd player without a cable to connect it to the tv- (I've heard this happens too?)

Anyway- he also thought it was stupid and they are sending me a cable, but he says it states it on the website there are no usb cables with the printers.

I've had a look- I can't find it.

www.apple.ie if anyone has keener eyes than me. So, no printing my fivers for a week now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

It's not apple- when I worked in a PC store two years ago none of the printers we sold came with USB cables.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Gauge wrote: »
    It's not apple- when I worked in a PC store two years ago none of the printers we sold came with USB cables.
    That started before there was even USB cables on the printers. Same thing with HDD cables with HDD etc. From my foggy memory I recall it being explained something like "it would be a waste to send a printer cable in there if it is not long enough so we removed them to reduce the cost for the customer and save on the enviroment".

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

I don't think I've ever seen a usb cable come with a printer anywhere that I've worked. The only time tends to be if the device is powered via usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its really common, and it makes perfect sense. For all electrical goods, most of the time you won't need the cable as you have one already. If they include it you always pay for it, even if you toss it aside. If you don't have one, you pay extra on the side, only when needed

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its standard practice and has been for years. I remember doing that 'aaaaghhh wheres the bloody cable' thing about four years ago when I was setting up a new printer, and it was the same reason, no cable is automatically supplied.

And in fairness Ive got a tangle of assorted cables collected here over the years from different bits of hardware. I doubt Id need one supplied these days. Id say lots of people are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I bloody well knew it!!!

I remember getting the blame for losing the cable for a printer before. I swore I didn't. Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I bloody well knew it!!!

I remember getting the blame for losing the cable for a printer before. I swore I didn't. Ha!

I blame you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Yep, canon don't supply the USB cables but they do make bloody great printers for great prices. I think it has been this way for a few years now iirc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nothing to do with Apple, its common practice for printers from Canon, Dell, Brother, HP etc etc etc to not come with USB cables anymore,

In relation to the Canon printer saying it doesn't come with a cable, had a look at the site and it doesn't appear to say that but neither does it say it includes one so it woiuld appear you assumed it included one :)

In relation to other electrical equipment, yep its pretty common to buy dvd players that don't come with scart leads etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's like buying a dvd player without a cable to connect it to the tv- (I've heard this happens too?)
    Yep, it does happen and I like it, I will pay for a decent cable thanks, and do not want to buy the crap usually bundles with players. I would prefer if they also did not include those PC/kettle type leads with equipment too, I have loads of them around and hate having to buy another with new stuff. Same with USB leads, I have loads of them so do not want to buy more.

I am surprised more mp3players do not come without earphones too, they really are a personal choice, hate paying for ones I am never going to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ya i'm a manager of an office supply shop,

they never come with the printer. Its not really going to matter in about two years cause everything is going to go wireless anyway, You can pick one up form about €5 OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

In relation to the Canon printer saying it doesn't come with a cable, had a look at the site and it doesn't appear to say that but neither does it say it includes one so it woiuld appear you assumed it included one

Hold on, that's kinda my point. Why should I have to assume that it does not come with a device to connect it to the laptop I just bought- I bought them as a pair. Unless specifically told so am I not allowed assume that they will be paired and yes, that should include a €5 cable ffs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hold on, that's kinda my point. Why should I have to assume that it does not come with a device to connect it to the laptop I just bought- I bought them as a pair. Unless specifically told so am I not allowed assume that they will be paired and yes, that should include a €5 cable ffs.

still not Apple's or Canons fault imho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

From what I gather you bought two products at the same time - you didnt necessarily buy them as a set.

Advertisement