Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing for Lunch / ALL DAY Wednesday (rant)

Options
  • 19-11-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

If Ireland had Piles, This is where they'd be ! Nenagh, on a Wednesday whatever is NOT closed, seems to be closed for lunch.....

Makes me wanna ffffin scream !!

When I protest to a 'local', all I get is "Shur' in't-it quaint....."

Quaint my ffffin ar---se......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Eh? Your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yep, this has always gone on in Nenagh, it's not new.

When I first left the town, imagine my suprise that supermarkets didn't close at 6pm :eek:
    I thought it was normal for all shops to be closed by then.

Most of the small shops in Nenagh close for lunch and Wednesday is often a half-day. People like a stress-free life, "shure chill out OP" :)

What shop were you trying out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Walkman wrote: »
    Eh? Your point?

Simply a consumer issue for me if I, like today need to purchase something urgently and have no alternative method of purchase, in this day and age I find this both incredulous and highly damn annoying.

hence the word (rant).

micmclo wrote: »
    Yep, this has always gone on in Nenagh, it's not new.

When I first left the town, imagine my suprise that supermarkets didn't close at 6pm :eek:
    I thought it was normal for all shops to be closed by then.

Most of the small shops in Nenagh close for lunch and Wednesday is often a half-day. People like a stress-free life, "shure chill out OP" :)

What shop were you trying out of interest?

in this instance, motor factors, tried every one i could find, all closed :mad: enquiring, i got 'ah shur'e tis wednesday', or, oh, he'll be back at half two (was 1 pm) :mad: ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In that case you should be grateful they aren't on a half-day like many stores on a Wednesday

Realy, it's always been like this, no point getting stressed. :)
    Maybe you'll reply that it's not good enough in 2008, but it's rural Ireland, slower pace of life I guess.

Shure try getting a GP on a Saturday afternoon, then you're screwed!

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    In that case you should be grateful they aren't on a half-day like many stores on a Wednesday

Realy, it's always been like this, no point getting stressed. :)
    Maybe you'll reply that it's not good enough in 2008, but it's rural Ireland, slower pace of life I guess.

Shure try getting a GP on a Saturday afternoon, then you're screwed!

Nope, can get a GP 24/7...... It is not so rural here now, this town has a large consumer population, yet, there appears to be general apathy toward making a sale!

Not everyone can afford to come back 'after lunch', or tomorrow.... just seems incredible they manage to survive and, given this apathy, I am inclined to not shop here, merely work here and take my custom where it is more appreciated.

Still irritates however..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is a throwback from the 50's. In this day and age there is no need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OMG Shops are not still closing for lunch and Wednesday? Hearns DIY on the Quay in Waterford used to have a half day and closed lunch, they only changed when those nasty foriegners came to town and gave the public want they wanted.

Always bugged me this, as bad as the Huns and thier Saturday noon deadline for shopping - they may have changed this.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Same at home in Mayo, they close half day on a Monday. It is fairly common down the country I think :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I was in Newcastle West a few years ago and was surprised to find this happening on Tuesday. I don't know if it still happens now. Never happened in the small village where I grew up. Open 7 days a week, although there used to be a half day on Sunday when I was young. But that's long gone too.

• Advertisement

missmatty wrote: »
    Same at home in Mayo, they close half day on a Monday. It is fairly common down the country I think :o
    It is just the day that varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bet the shops still have dingo jeans for sale and yellow plastic on the windows for sunny days.......... did you get 1/4 lb of bulls eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Thursday used to be the day here in Wexford. Seems to have died out now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

In France, most of the country is closed on a Sunday.

In France, most of the country is closed on a Sunday.
    That is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It is a throwback from the 50's. In this day and age there is no need for it.

Why? Is there something about 2008 that means a small shop that otherwise cant employ another person because of cost suddenly can to cover beign open 1 extra hour a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I was a kid, all the shops in the local town (in County Cork) would close for a half-day on Wednesday. Old tradition I suppose, but it's died out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

when i read this first i thought the OP had to be a courier! ha. Nenagh used bug me everywhere being closed like that two years ago but i got over it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Germany,well Koln anyway you wont get much open after 4 on Saturday and even less on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The half day off means these family run businesses only have to work 5.5 days per week instead of the 6 or 7 days the greedy punter seems to want now-a-days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

fatboypee wrote: »
    Simply a consumer issue for me if I, like today need to purchase something urgently and have no alternative method of purchase, in this day and age I find this both incredulous and highly damn annoying.

hence the word (rant).

spain(some) has a siesta during the day

Advertisement