Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Test

• 19-11-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

My brother has to undergo an Irish test as part of his planning application in Galway. Anybody have any experience of this and how difficult is it for someone somewhat fluent but by no means fully fluent in the native tongue!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Development plan requirement for "Local need". I've no problem with local need but I find these ways of proving local need to be unfair, devisive and illegal.

IMO Its unconstitutional as each Citizen has the same rights as any other Citizen - thankfully thats protected in our Constitution. Who says I have no right to live in Galway?

Still who's going to take this to the High Court?

Conversation Irish is "supposely" fine. The idea that your children will learn the language and pass it on is very important. Being active in the community is also an advantage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RKQ wrote: »
    Development plan requirement for "Local need". I've no problem with local need but I find these ways of proving local need to be unfair, devisive and illegal.

IMO Its unconstitutional as each Citizen has the same rights as any other Citizen - thankfully thats protected in our Constitution. Who says I have no right to live in Galway?

Still who's going to take this to the High Court?

Conversation Irish is "supposely" fine. The idea that your children will learn the language and pass it on is very important. Being active in the community is also an advantage.

A bit of a rant there RKQ.... :D

I have no experience of these types of application so im loathe to comment on them, but....

what influence has the result of the test on the application??
    whats a pass and whats a fail?

IMO the policy is aimed at reinforcing the strength of our native tongue in these areas, protecting it from being dissolved by english speakers..... its a policy i fully support and admire. Even if it is unfair and unconstitutional!!

westawake, i wish the bets of luck to your brother, and if hes successful i hope he builds a dwelling that compliments and accentuates the beauty of galway gaelteach areas....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Maybe syd...
    Des Bishop has the right idea - learn conversational Irish - make it fun.:)

Fail the test = permission refused! :eek: Very unfair :eek:

Give a little man a uniform.... etc.

Good luck to your brother :)

Advertisement