Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Slander

Options
  • 19-11-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was recently fired from my job for alleged non-performance, despite the fact that they made it impossible for me to do my job over the past year. They didn't follow the process, ie verbal warnings, 2 written warnings etc. Plus they didn't give me the notice that's in my contract. As a result, I am suing them for un-fair dismissal and its a pretty open and shut case. I got a "you'll never work in this town again" call from them, then an emotional blackmail call but I've stuck to my guns and am continuing with the case.

I have since learnt that they have been ringing all my clients and telling them that they fired me and other terrible things. I've a very good relationship with my clients, in fact many of them rang me once they heard a few weeks ago. I've met with my clients and sought advice from them as to what I should do, plus they offered help and work (if it came up). But still it casts an element of doubt and leaves a sour taste in peoples mouthes.

Can my former employers do that? Is this professional slander? Can i do anything about it. Its so upsetting, I'm in tears as I write this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"Can my former employers do that?"

Hell No!!!!!!!

"Is this professional slander?"

Yes!

"Can i do anything about it."

Tell your lawyer. I'm sure it will do wonders for your case.

Its so upsetting, I'm in tears as I write this.

You poor thing! I just left a bad job recently and feel like **** because of them so i can't imagine how you feel. Have a big hug on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if they say it it slander if they write it its libel?

can one of your former clients go as eye witness?

they were telling the truth about you been fired what else were thay saying and are you full sure that they had no merit/grounds in saying it?

regardless of what they say telling lies to others is slander against you but so long as it proven. if you get your legalteam to go for it they might consider it another bat to hit them with and maybe never go to court or do you want court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

That's not very nice of your ex-employer, but if what they're saying is true, I would imagine you would have a very hard time suing them for slander.

Is your ex-employer actually ringing your ex-clients with the sole intention of bitching about you, or are they ringing your ex-clients to update them that you will no longer be their point of contact as you were fired? If it's the latter, and I suspect it is, I think that's fair enough.

How long did you work for your ex-employer? I'm sure you know this, but employment rights don't kick in until you've been working for the same employer for 12 months.

Can you tell us exactly what they fired you for? As you know, gross misconduct doesn't require verbal warnings, written warnings or a notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think a solicitor is the only person who can give you the correct advice here.

Advertisement