Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Irish Marking Scheme

Options
  • 19-11-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the marking scheme is with the Aural, Oral and two papers is?

How much is the Poerty and Pros worth out of the whole paper (incl. Aural and Oral)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

There's 600 marks in total.

Oral- 150 (25%)
    Aural- 120 (20%)

Paper I
    Essay- 120 (20%)
    Comprehensions- 100 (50+50)- 17%

Paper II
    Prós- 55 (9%)
    Poetry- 55 (9%)

I'm not going to bother doing Paper II, should have enough in the rest to get a B3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oooh, sounds dodgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Don't be mental! You have no idea how the other sections will go on the day. You might only get 40/110 but it's better than 0/110.

At the end of the day, the poem is printed on the page in front of you, you could stab a guess and they always ask "Ar mhaith leat an dán?", to which you can learn off the same answer for all of them.

As for your Prós, narrow down what stories you need to know, learn off a really simple summary and you're sorted. If you're capable of a B3 without Paper II, your Irish must be excellent enough to learn off a summary and guess what bits of a poem mean!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And you won't have a * beside your grade indicating the existence of a supplemental report which will say you were missing for one of the papers.
    Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not really tbh. I done Higher on the JC and then done Higher for 6 months on the LC, dropped down and find the best part of the course is similar to that of the Higher JC. Hope that makes sense.

All in all would require like work, taking that you done ok in Higher on the JC. I got a C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

18% for paper 2?!
    You're sh*ting me.

We spent so long on those... and its 18%
    Dear sweet jesus.

deemark wrote: »
    Don't be mental! You have no idea how the other sections will go on the day. You might only get 40/110 but it's better than 0/110.

At the end of the day, the poem is printed on the page in front of you, you could stab a guess and they always ask "Ar mhaith leat an dán?", to which you can learn off the same answer for all of them.

As for your Prós, narrow down what stories you need to know, learn off a really simple summary and you're sorted. If you're capable of a B3 without Paper II, your Irish must be excellent enough to learn off a summary and guess what bits of a poem mean!
    Without wanting to sound arrogant I actually do have a pretty good idea how the other sections will go!:):P I'm getting above 110 on the aural so far this year and only got less than 100% on the comprehension once. Oral I will study a lot and treat it as HL- I'm hoping for 120+ (got 100+ last year). Essay/cómhra etc seems pretty basic.

TBH, I simply couldn't be bothered. It wouldn't take all that much time to study and get a decent mark on Paper II but I'd rather spent that time on other subjects where it's touch and touch whether or not I'll get the grades I need. Maybe I'll change my mind when the time comes but I'd be highly surprised if I do.
    spurious wrote: »
    And you won't have a * beside your grade indicating the existence of a supplemental report which will say you were missing for one of the papers.
    Your choice.
    Is that really that big of a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Without wanting to sound arrogant I actually do have a pretty good idea how the other sections will go!:):P I'm getting above 110 on the aural so far this year and only got less than 100% on the comprehension once. Oral I will study a lot and treat it as HL- I'm hoping for 120+ (got 100+ last year). Essay/cómhra etc seems pretty basic.

Why on earth aren't you doing HL then? Sounds like you're far too good for OL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is that really that big of a deal?

Well, that depends on you, the more usual reason for a supplemental report (and a *) would be a 'reasonable accommodation' where a candidate who has a learning disability was not assessed on one component (usually spelling or grammar in an English exam), or had a reader who read the paper to them, or a scribe.

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    Why on earth aren't you doing HL then? Sounds like you're far too good for OL.
    So I can spend more time studying other subjects- there's a lot to study on HL Paper II. Irish would have been one of my worst if I did HL, almost definitely outside my best 6.

Advertisement