Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steelers last second TD against Chargers should it have stood?

• 19-11-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭

As it says above should the TD stood?

as the first lateral didn't hit the ground.

Why did it go to the review as the result of the td or not wouldn't have mattered with the result of the game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Trampas wrote: »
    As it says above should the TD stood?

as the first lateral didn't hit the ground.

Why did it go to the review as the result of the td or not wouldn't have mattered with the result of the game.

The problem was that the Ref said LT made a illegal forward pass to Chris Chambers

"L.Tomlinson, dead ball declared at SD 26 for 5 yards. PENALTY on SD-21-L.Tomlinson, Illegal Forward Pass, 0 yards, enforced at SD 26."

Which in my opinion was BS he flicked it behind him. The lateral doesnt have to hit the ground once LT doesnt throw it forward it should not have mattered.

It should have been a TD. Bad review by the ref. It should not have been overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Definitely should have stood. Cost a lot of people money too. Possible betting scandal in the offs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It should have been allowed because the call on the field was wrong BUT there was potential for it to be disallowed for an intentional fumble forwards by Polamalu although that would have been completely arbitrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

RichTea wrote: »
    Definitely should have stood. Cost a lot of people money too. Possible betting scandal in the offs!

me been one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

The pass by LT was forward, so the play should have ended there. No TD....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

BizzyC wrote: »
    The pass by LT was forward, so the play should have ended there. No TD....

It definitely wasn't forward.

NFL Network's "total Access" has a brillient bit on Wednesday's show (shwn here on Thursday) when they speak to the head of refereeing. He goes through a number of contentious plays and points out why the refs were right/wrong. Its giving me a far better grasp of the rules...

Anyway, he basically said the TD should've stood and although they were correct to review it if they had any doubt (regardless of the fact it wouldn't impact the result), he simply gave the wrong decision. On foot of that, the NFL have mandated that at least two referees/umpires go to viewing booth (only ref looks at it though) to give a second opinion if needed on rules, and they now must fill out a form stating the down, distance, time etc to ensure everything is correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Dodge wrote: »
    It definitely wasn't forward.
    It definitely was forward. When the ball left LT's hands, it went forward.

There's a lot of talk about this in rugby, but when a player, running forward throws a ball laterally, or slightly behind him, the ball travels 'forward with momentum'. This is overlooked in Rugby, as long as the ball is not thrown forward. But no such rule applies in American Football. If the ball goes forward, it's forward.

This video explains it very well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Dodge wrote: »
    NFL Network's "total Access" has a brillient bit on Wednesday's show (shwn here on Thursday) when they speak to the head of refereeing. He goes through a number of contentious plays and points out why the refs were right/wrong. Its giving me a far better grasp of the rules...

Anyway, he basically said the TD should've stood and although they were correct to review it if they had any doubt (regardless of the fact it wouldn't impact the result), he simply gave the wrong decision.
    You saw a different show to me, then. He clearly explained that the ball went forward when LT passed it, and that the play involving Polamalu <sp?>, although legal, was irrelevant.

davyjose wrote: »
    It definitely was forward. When the ball left LT's hands, it went forward.

I saw that Rugby vid years ago and thought to myself maybe thats the angle the refs took. BUT the refs admitted after the game they got it wrong and his hands didnt move forward, they were moving behind him as he flicked it backswards. That ball if went forward was extremely minimal and no human could justify it on the field. Look at the replays so many out there not a chance that ball went forward even under that rugby defintion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

American football doesn't suffer the same problems with angles and perception of momentum as there's yards markers everywhere

• Advertisement

It was forward. LT threw it on the 25, chambers caught it on the 26. By American football rules it was forward.

BizzyC wrote: »
    It was forward. LT threw it on the 25, chambers caught it on the 26. By American football rules it was forward.

Using video editing software he released the ball half way between the 25 and 26. And I stand corrected where Chambers caught the ball he was standing square on the 26 so the ball went forward by half a yard. But at that I couldn't get lines 100% accurate to match them off but it would seem the ball travelled forward good spot Bizzyc. If I have time I will upload the screen captures to show it. Definitely didn't give the refs an easy decision though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

LT passed it forward after the line of scrimmage. End play here.

What the officials screwed up on was that they got confused when chambers threw the ball and it hit the ground. they should have called the play dead on LT's lateral. No betting scandal. Just a mixed up ref making the correct call ont he wrong part of the play. lol even my reasoning is mixed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

On the final play of Sunday’s game between the Chargers and Steelers, Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu returned a loose ball 12 yards for a defensive touchdown,” the league said in a statement Monday. “After an instant replay review and crew conference, the on-field ruling of touchdown was incorrectly reversed to no touchdown due to an illegal forward pass by San Diego.

“The incorrect reversal of the on-field ruling of touchdown was acknowledged immediately following the game by referee Scott Green in the pool report interview with a representative of the media.”

The NFL said it is discussing with the rule-making competition committee “potential administrative improvements for replay that would help to prevent this type of mistake in the future.”

An estimated $100 million was wagered worldwide on the Steelers/Chargers game, according to RJ Bell of Pregame.com, a Las Vegas-based sports information service. Approximately 66 percent of that money was bet on the Steelers, with only 34 percent on the Chargers.

“If the touchdown was properly upheld, Steelers bettors would have won about $32 million instead of losing big,” Bell said. “This admittedly incorrect call resulted in a $64 million swing in favor of the bookies

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txsteelerschargersvegas&prov=st&type=lgns

Everyone is jumping on this as being a bad call, it wasn't.

It was a good call, but made for the wrong reason. If you look at "why" the call was made, the ball hitting the ground, then yes it was a bad call. Fact stands though that the play shouldn't have progressed that far, so the end result was correct.

Advertisement