Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym - morning or evening

Options
  • 19-11-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi.

I'm looking for everyone's opinion on the pro's and con's of gyming in the morning vs the evening. I find I have no motivation in the evenings any more and start work early-ish so I have between 7am and 8am to do any workout, shower and dress. (I am not particularly a morning person either!).

I think that I would be more motivated to go to the gym if I could get the amount of time I spend per session down - especially if I start going in the mornings. I tend to do about 35 mins cardio at varying intensities, 20 mins on weights and about 15 doing core exercises (main goal is weight loss). Not long for most but between this and showering, waiting for weights etc I haven't managed under 1.5 hours yet - more if I want a swim, jacuzzi etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

After a gym session you want a fairly big feed of protein and carbs, so late in the evening would be unwise, since you should be having your biggest meals fairly early in the day, I'd prefare early enough, before 6pm anyway, if possible before noon. A lot of it will come to when you have free time though, and evening session is better than no session.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I find the mornings a who-er (:D) for motivation. Could you attend some kind of class in the evening? Having something more definite to attend (instead of just "the gym") can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

when its not busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

I either go before 2 or after 7/8. In between is too busy in my gym. I find I prefer the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

why not break the cardio down.
    are you 35 mins at a steady pace?

mix it up a bit, sprint for a min, job for a min etc. and only do about 15 mto 20 mins.

also what core exercises are you doing?
    you can prob hit your core just as well while doing weights if you do things like bent over bar bell row, deadlifts, squats, chest press on the ball etc.

even better would be to break it up into a circuit fashion.

say start off on the treadmill for a five min warm up.
    then do 7 mins, raising the level each min till your pushing it for the last minute.
    hop off, do 3 weight exercises all of their sets, say bench press, row and squat/leg press.
    back on the tread for 7 mins, raising the pace again each min.
    another 3 exercises.
    7 mins tread
    3 exercises
    cool down.

you'd fit that well under an hour, and it would be intense enough too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭niamh.brady

aye wrote: »
    why not break the cardio down.
    are you 35 mins at a steady pace?

mix it up a bit, sprint for a min, job for a min etc. and only do about 15 mto 20 mins.

also what core exercises are you doing?
    you can prob hit your core just as well while doing weights if you do things like bent over bar bell row, deadlifts, squats, chest press on the ball etc.

even better would be to break it up into a circuit fashion.

say start off on the treadmill for a five min warm up.
    then do 7 mins, raising the level each min till your pushing it for the last minute.
    hop off, do 3 weight exercises all of their sets, say bench press, row and squat/leg press.
    back on the tread for 7 mins, raising the pace again each min.
    another 3 exercises.
    7 mins tread
    3 exercises
    cool down.

you'd fit that well under an hour, and it would be intense enough too.

Thanks everyone - aye - that sounds a lot better than what I am doing on the current programme. I vary the intensity as it is but mixing up the cardio and weights would make it much more interesting.

I think that I am similar to a lot of people and love the gym while I am there but have problems getting myself there. Thanks for the help though.

Advertisement