Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Of Ireland - No withdrawal slips available?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Could anyone that is in a Bank of Irealnd branch in the next few days have a look and see if withdrawal slips are available around the branch on those little customer desks etc?

I was in my local branch and wanted to make a withdrawal above what I could get from the ATM - looked high and low for a withdrawal slip and couldn't find one. When I went to the teller's window I was told they are not available for customer security reasons and that I would have to fill it out in front of her. I genuinely can't remember this being the case before.

I e-mailed BoI customer care line and was told this has been policy for the last two years "for security purposes as limiting the availability and access to withdrawal dockets is in direct response to attempted fraud on customers accounts."

Anybody know anything else about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Can't you just use your ATM card at the teller window? Admittedly, it has been a long time since I've been into a branch, but I used to be able to just hand them my card, which they would swipe, and there was no need for any paper slips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Kahless wrote: »
    Can't you just use your ATM card at the teller window? Admittedly, it has been a long time since I've been into a branch, but I used to be able to just hand them my card, which they would swipe, and there was no need for any paper slips.
    The card has a limit associated with it be that at the ATM or at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I think Kahless is right, you can use your ATM card in the branch to withdraw money and it shouldn't affect your limit at the ATM for that day.

However, the account I wanted to take money out of is one that I don't have an ATM card for. I just felt sorry for the ten people queuing behind me that had to look on while I had to get my details in order and then fill the slip in - seems like such a waste of time for everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I haven't seen withdrawal slips out in banks for years. They only have them at the teller window. Probably a good idea, as it would cut down on fraudulent use of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Arciphel wrote: »
    I think Kahless is right, you can use your ATM card in the branch to withdraw money and it shouldn't affect your limit at the ATM for that day.
    Speaking purely for AIB there is a limit at the counter and at the ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

jor el wrote: »
    I haven't seen withdrawal slips out in banks for years. They only have them at the teller window. Probably a good idea, as it would cut down on fraudulent use of them.

Jor El, what kind of fraudulent use are you talking about? If one was going to commit fraud, I'm sure you could do it just as easily by getting one of these at the teller's window, no? Or am I missing something here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

jor el wrote: »

Thats it exactly and some banks have been doing it for a lot longer than two years. Fraud prevention is a big thing with the banks and people coming up with pre-filled dockets meant that, ok, yes, they could check the signature but its an extra precaution if you see the person actually sign it in front of you and then go and check the signature.

What would happen if a person had pre-filled a withdrawal slip and put it in their wallet and on the way to the bank and had their wallet stolen? Show me a mugger who wouldn't chance his/her arm and use the slip!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I haven't ever seen a withdrawal slip out in a BOI bank, and I'm in about twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Could anyone that is in a Bank of Irealnd branch in the next few days have a look and see if withdrawal slips are available around the branch on those little customer desks etc?

I was in my local branch and wanted to make a withdrawal above what I could get from the ATM - looked high and low for a withdrawal slip and couldn't find one. When I went to the teller's window I was told they are not available for customer security reasons and that I would have to fill it out in front of her. I genuinely can't remember this being the case before.

I e-mailed BoI customer care line and was told this has been policy for the last two years "for security purposes as limiting the availability and access to withdrawal dockets is in direct response to attempted fraud on customers accounts."

Anybody know anything else about this?

You answered your own question. Everyone gets an ATM card, use it - or go to the counter and they'll give you a slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Jor El, what kind of fraudulent use are you talking about? If one was going to commit fraud, I'm sure you could do it just as easily by getting one of these at the teller's window, no? Or am I missing something here?

Picture the scene. I am a sneaky fraudster. You are a little old lady.

You take a withdrawal slip from the pile on the counter, and start to fill it in.
    You write down your sort code / account number and then start to fill in the details. You make a mistake with the date, you thought it was Tuesday, not Wednesday, so you crumple up your slip and start again ... nice and neat.

Moments later, I pick up your discarded slip from the bin/counter, and I now have your name, address, and account number. That's handy.

Even if you didn't make a mistake, but wrote with a heavy hand ... I could take the next slip after you, and rub or trace out the key details.

Then imagine the impact of a fraudster having a large supply of withdrawal slips with which to practice.

Keeping the slips behind the counter is a good idea IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Jor El, what kind of fraudulent use are you talking about?

The kind where you take a withdrawal slip away, fill it out with someone else's details, forge a signature on it, bring it back and have away with their money. If you have to fill it in, in front of the teller, it makes that just a little bit more difficult. So, anything that discourages fraud, is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

depending on the branch, BOI request that you Q at customer services first to fill in the withdrawl slip which you get form them then they pass it to the teller and ta-da money withdrawn.

Pain in the neds but thats the way they do it in two of their branches I frequent.

Your ATM limit is not affected by the transaction at the counter if you do such

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Why not introduce a rule then that you can fill out all the slip anywhere, but it must be signed in front of the teller?

Also, the signature thing is a bit of a joke anyway - I got my deposit book when I was 7. Thankfully my signature has changed a bit since then :) I suppose they could insist that my mother accompanies me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I had to go into my local boi recently to withdraw money using one of those withdrawal slips....which i hadn't done for years, but I'd lost my wallet including my ATM card and needed to get cash. The withdrawal slips were there on the counter when you go in the door with the lodgement slips etc. I filled it and then joined the queue and wasn't even questioned....I know I brought my id with me, but I don't even remember being asked for it. The only thing is that my local branch doesn't have an ATM, so maybe there's a different policy in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I had to go into my local boi recently to withdraw money using one of those withdrawal slips....which i hadn't done for years, but I'd lost my wallet including my ATM card and needed to get cash. The withdrawal slips were there on the counter when you go in the door with the lodgement slips etc. I filled it and then joined the queue and wasn't even questioned....I know I brought my id with me, but I don't even remember being asked for it. The only thing is that my local branch doesn't have an ATM, so maybe there's a different policy in that case.

Even worse .. i went into a BOI and Transferred 20k to another account.

I brought ID just incase .. but got that . NAH its grand ..
    Then i was told that normally they'd have to fill out some forms if your transferring over 10k, so she said she'd do it in 9999, 9999 and 2.
    The whole thing left me thinking .. how easy it would be to exploit the whole situation.

Advertisement