Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website review- busbyway.com

Options
  • 19-11-2008 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hey. I've designed a website busbyway.com

Just need to know what people think because I think I might start web design for part time work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Isn't that just a template?

EDIT: Yes (RocketTheme Sporticus).

So what design do you want us to comment on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

cgarvey wrote: »
    Isn't that just a template?

EDIT: Yes (RocketTheme Sporticus).

So what design do you want us to comment on?
    +1

It is not web design.
    It doesn't come close to web development.
    What you are doing is something that any one could pick up in on a week practice.

Also noticed your other thread, think you getting a bit carried away because you discovered you can get a site up and running using a CMS + a template.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

oh well done. you can read page sources. I never said it wasnt but I did change the template quite a bit.

I've never been taught web design and just to let you know my friend charges €750 + VAT for site running Joomla so there is demand there for it.
    Is is not Web design / or even come close to web development.

Your such a geek. Most people online want a site that looks good and simple to use.

Sorry I wasnt writing my own ****ing scripts and software as a hobby.

Get a life you morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

donnyvegas wrote: »
    oh well done. you can read page sources. I never said it wasnt but I did change the template quite a bit.

I've never been taught web design and just to let you know my friend charges €750 + VAT for site running Joomla so there is demand there for it.

Your such a geek. Most people online want a site that looks good and simple to use.

Get a life you morons.
    That post is just wrong on so many levels. :rolleyes:

Grow up will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I never said it wasnt but I did change the template quite a bit.
    You said you designed a website, evidently you didn't.
    Your such a geek.
    You're looking for advice about web design on the Internet. What did you expect?
    Well I'd advise you either start writing your own ****ing scripts and software, or start looking elsewhere for your quick and easy bucks.
    Get a life you morons.
    Nice. You asked for feedback and you got it. Now learn from it or just **** off, ta very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Hey. I've designed a website busbyway.com

Just need to know what people think because I think I might start web design for part time work.

The site looks fine, I'd get rid of the side modules in the official site tab wrapper page because it's a bit squashed and you can see the frame bars.

For functionality it works well but I'd get rid of the XHTML and Vadid Css links because they aren't and also the site counter is very mid 1990's.

Nice to see you even modified the admin pages and are using the updated 1.8 version but make sure you do the hack to the code if your server is running PHP4.0

To be honest it's a lot better than a lot of professional websites.

(Love your sense of humour, you may have to tone it down a bit for here, us geeks don't do sarcasm very well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Get a life you morons.

That post just defies belief. Try and bare in mind that there are a lot of seasoned Web professionals that read this board. If you are in any way interested in entering the industry, I'd cut back on the insolence.

As has already been said - learn how to do a professional job before selling your services professionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Namesco wrote: »
    also the site counter is very mid 1990's.
    I think it's charming... I really wish hit-counters would make a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just need to know what people think

I think... it was a bad choice in template ;)

Namesco wrote: »
    The site looks fine, I'd get rid of the side modules in the official site tab wrapper page because it's a bit squashed and you can see the frame bars.

For functionality it works well but I'd get rid of the XHTML and Vadid Css links because they aren't and also the site counter is very mid 1990's.

Nice to see you even modified the admin pages and are using the updated 1.8 version but make sure you do the hack to the code if your server is running PHP4.0

To be honest it's a lot better than a lot of professional websites.

(Love your sense of humour, you may have to tone it down a bit for here, us geeks don't do sarcasm very well)

Hey thanks for a proper review.

I know its the only one saying anything nice but God almightly some web designers are really stuck up their own holes because they can "design" and code a big fecking website.

BTW any web designers that criticized my website can I have a link to one you designed. I just want a benchmark so I have a target to reach because yours will clearly be better.

• Advertisement

kjt wrote: »
    I think... it was a bad choice in template ;)

hey. thanks for your feedback. what do you think I should have done? I thought it fit in well because its a website for Manchester United fans and Uniteds colours are primarily red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hey Donny,
    To be honest that was just a snide remark against you and I apologise. I would never usually put that in on an advise thread but you came across extremely immature and literally attacked two long standing members of this forum who are constantly here helping people out.

Again, no hard feelings and I hope you learn from this thread. See how to take comments & feedback with a pinch of salt.
    The best of luck to you in your web ventures!

Kyle

kjt wrote: »
    Hey Donny,
    To be honest that was just a snide remark against you and I apologise. I would never usually put that in on an advise thread but you came across extremely immature and literally attacked two long standing members of this forum who are constantly here helping people out.

Again, no hard feelings and I hope you learn from this thread. See how to take comments & feedback with a pinch of salt.
    The best of luck to you in your web ventures!

Kyle

yeah but they made me feel like a retard. They said ****e like 'it wasnt close to web design and development'. that hurts when I think I done a good job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How much would a site/template like busbyway.com cost to get up and running..?

well i would answer but I'd probably get some sly remark like the last time.

why do you want to know/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

You sound very immature indeed, someone gives an honest review of your site and you freak out

i didnt freak out. i was giving an honest opinion of them back to them.

The said there was no DESIGN in the site. What does that mean? Is it just a blank white page. I dont think so. I wanted to be told how to make it better. I wasnt claiming that I designed it from scratch as most people dont design from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

i didnt freak out. i was giving an honest opinion of them back to them.

The said there was no DESIGN in the site. What does that mean? Is it just a blank white page. I dont think so. I wanted to be told how to make it better. I wasnt claiming that I designed it from scratch as most people dont design from scratch.

Layout, colors, CSS etcera then porting into a template then tweaking it into a CMS

well i would answer but I'd probably get some sly remark like the last time.

why do you want to know/

You are very defensive.

I am asking because I may be interested in setting one up.

okay. compare what they said to me and what they didnt say to this guy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422282

That site really badly designed if you ask me but I was too polite to say anything.

• Advertisement

Sorry If i came across defensive. But the previous posters are making me think that no-one would want such a rubbish site with no Design or web development.

It cost like €20 to set it up including hosting and domain.

Deaddude wrote: »
    Layout, colors, CSS etcera then porting into a template then tweaking it into a CMS

i am student. still a teenager. why would care about all that ****e when JOOMLA do it all for me?

Sorry If i came across defensive. But the previous posters are making me think that no-one would want such a rubbish site with no Design or web development.

It cost like €20 to set it up including hosting and domain.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

okay. compare what they said to me and what they didnt say to this guy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422282

That site really badly designed if you ask me but I was too polite to say anything.

I'm not seeing any praise directed towards GaryCocs in that thread. I also don't see GaryCocs coming back to call everyone 'nerds' and 'morons' for voicing their (asked for) opinion.

You asked for an opinion on 'design'... but you didn't design this thing, so what's the point?

If you're looking for an opinion on whether or not there's enough suckers out there willing to cough up cash for your '€20' worth of CMS and templates... best not come to a forum populated by web professionals who take their jobs and livelihood a bit more seriously than that.

Otherwise, simply accept the criticism. Your site doesn't show any great accomplishment in the realms of website design or development. If that's seriously something you'd like to learn more about then stick around you might just learn something from all us moronic web nerds with are stupid ****ing scripting 'hobbies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Get a life you morons.

What? I'm a moron for asking you to clarify what you want reviewed? You've a lot to learn kiddo; a lot to learn.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

First off your attitude and language is brutal, you want help here, you respect opinions,that what you wanted, thats what you got. If someone disagrees with your site layout then take it on the chin, you will have to get used to it when you finally get out there, everyone will be ready to knock you down.

You are lucky to be getting free advice from people involved in the IT industry for years, believe it or not they may know what they are on about.

On the site:
    You alignments are off, look at extrabet, look at the table and the aligment of the team names, it looks amateur.

You also have at the bottom of your page, "CSS Valid" its not valid, check this: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http://busbyway.com

Whats the Paddy Power logo doing cramped into the bottom left hand corner, it looks photoshopped and you already have a banner ad for them

The layout of the reports are bunched, widen the page and also use some bordering to distinguish.

Get rid of the counter on it, again it looks a bit amateurish.

Next match, put in somewhere whether its home or away.

On your columns, calling Mike Riley a twat, and I am no expert, but can you be liable for comments like this, check it out, maybe you cannot, but its a public space, be careful what you say.

As I said clean it up, tighten it up and look at other sites to get a feel. The coloring is spot on, I think. These are my opinions, take them or leave them.

Good luck with it, and chill out a bit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Till Rolls

First off, your Keywords for you website "busbyway.com,Manchester united fansite" will not get you any visitors from search engines, busbyway.com is not a key word you should be using , if they know your site address why would they search busbyway.com. ? YOU should be using as key words something along the lines of the following "mufc, manchester united, football, man u, " these are just off the top of my head, I'm sure you can think of more appropriate key words , try Google keywords to help you out, also your meta tags are exactly the same 2. You need to change these also.

You need to build Inbound links to your website, a very good start would be but a signature with you web address on your posts here, as these will be picked up by web crawlers from search engines like Google & Yahoo. But that only the start of it you will have to Google "Building Links" "Link Building" and do some research on the subject. Link building help your site get more notice from the viewing public and the web crawlers, the more external links you have the higher in the ranking of the search engines you really want to aim to be on the first 3 pages of Google if you hope to get visitors, and I don't mean Google busbyway, I mean Google “Man utd, man u, mufc, ect ect.” there the pages you need to be on other wise no one will know you exist.

I suppose an easier way to explain to you is this way, you have a shop (website) and there are millions of customers, but your store is down some dark allay with no lighting, full of rubbish and rats, do you really think the potential customer will walk down that dark allay to see if there is anything down there? You need your store(website) on the high street where all the potential customer pass by at some stage of the day. Your high street is Google , and the high street in Google is the first page of the search results, but if you can get to page 3 you will be doing well. Most people don't look any further than 3 pages of results, so thats your target if you want to get it off the ground.

I see you have a bit of a temper (snap) , but it doest help you if you get peoples backs up here. Most are more than willing to help you out, and their advice can be of great benefit to you.

Hope I have helped,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

In no particular order and probably repeating myself a few times I've not had my coffee. But considering I said things on the other thread I said I'll say things on here as well.

1: Don't post on a public forum asking for feedback if you're not willing to get a roasting.

2: Don't attack people back (take on board criticism it can hurt like hell when you're starting but as you get better you'll realise oh yeah I see what they mean)

3: Your logo ? needs heavy work to my eyes it doesn't fit into your site.

4: Your padding is really all over the place on this one. Investigate CSS

5: Your original comments said you designed the site. No what you did was you tweaked a rocket template and made it worse. If you'd said I've been tweaking a template trying to get it to do what I want I think people might have had a lot more constructive feedback for you.

6: I reiterate ... don't attack people.

7:

Get a life you morons.

writing your own ****ing scripts and software as a hobby is not what I do. I did this as a hobby back in 96 ... now I do this for a living. You've once against attacked my profession and a lot of peoples profession on here.

Realise what you're offering people. You're offering to set up websites based on templates. Obviously if you can't write your own scripts and software you're going to be limited in what you can do.

8: I don't really like the red and then the Orange text on the site its just not working for me for some reason. RSS icons look out of place (colour looks wrong)

9: Your text alignment is all over the place

10: Your site doesn't validate yet you are including links to validation.

11: Paddypower link looks VERY poor quality on the page and totally wrong in its placement .

12: The advert on the top (banner advert) goes out of the container making it look unprofessional

13: Make your URLs pretty.

14: Your logo contains the Manchester logo ? is this actually allowed (quite possibly I don't know what the legalities of using the logo are)

15: You say it cost 20 to set up including the domain and hosting. How much was the RocketTheme as well ? you've left that bit of info out for the guy who asked the question. Hopefully Its a legally purchased template and you wouldn't be suggesting installing material on potential clients sites that could get them sued.

Anyways just said I'd add my few cents ... take from it what you will ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

yeah but they made me feel like a retard. They said ****e like 'it wasnt close to web design and development'. that hurts when I think I done a good job.

TBH if you're going into this industry then get used to it, a thick skin is required regardless of how good a job you've actually done.

</edit>

I've just noticed you're a teenager. So If you are considering a career in web development or programming here's a few pointers.

1)Learn HTML
    2)Learn CSS
    3)Learn Javascript
    4)Work hard at school - these career choices require 3rd level education. Preferably computer science, unless your a beret wearing, poncy designer :pac:

You'll get great tutorials on all these things at www.w3schools.com

Then go download WAMP (I'm assuming you're on windows) which is a webserver you can run on your own p.c. Then get a good text editor, I use Editplus but there's loads of them. Notepad++ is another good one I believe.

If you get stuck ask questions online but don't take the criticism so personally. You can always add people to you ignore list.

Now start from scratch and put something together - it doesn't matter how lame it might seem as its on your own p.c. and nobody else can see it. Once you've gotten a hang of it use your new found skills customising a blog - install wordpress onto a host account or use blogger.com. Link the blog to your bebo/myspace/facebook accounts. At this stage you should know if its something you really want to get into.

<another edit/>

You could always phone some web development companies and ask them if you could come in for a chat as your considering a career in what they do. Co-ordinate it with your school for extra brownie points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

i am student. still a teenager. why would care about all that ****e when JOOMLA do it all for me?

i am a student too. still a teenager too. Maybe the difference is I think that the traditional way of actually coding and designing your own website from scratch is the best way to go. Just because people here know what there talking about (not including my self in the catagory btw) and are obviously better at web development tan you certainly are doesnt mean you have to get bed. Look, if we started talking about Man U and you said I knew **** all Id take it well cas I know its truee.

If you want my advise learn HTML and CSS, that will get you far. I personally swear by http://www.yourhtmlsource.com. Learning these is actually rewarding.

Hope that doesnt make you think Im just a geek. Or maybe I am. Loke, I still have friends though in the real world. I just find it colder than the virtual world you know so I like to hang here. You know the way the fan from the laptop blows on you. Warm.

:D:D:D

Advertisement