Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesco cheaper fuel

Options
  • 19-11-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Are Tesco still offering the fuel 10c per litre if you spend more than €100 in their shops?

Can't find anything online about it?

Also, if its still on, do you have to spend the 100 in the store next to the filling station or can it be at any store?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,936 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm avoiding tesco at the moment - their fuel is crap.

Filled up a couple of weeks ago and did my standard driving, tesco deisel got me 6.2L/100km.

Filled up in Appleyard or Applegreen or wahtever it is called - same driving got me 5.6L/100km. (for 2c more per litre)

A friend filled up on tesco petrol around the same time, and with his standard driving, had to go for another fill 3 days earlier than usual.

I'm not sure the 'cheaper' fuel is worth it when you can't do as many miles/km's for the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Filled up a couple of weeks ago and did my standard driving, tesco deisel got me 6.2L/100km.

Filled up in Appleyard or Applegreen or wahtever it is called - same driving got me 5.6L/100km. (for 2c more per litre)

A friend filled up on tesco petrol around the same time, and with his standard driving, had to go for another fill 3 days earlier than usual.

I'm not sure the 'cheaper' fuel is worth it when you can't do as many miles/km's for the amount.

good to know...applegreen is it for me then

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

+1

My mpg dropped from around 35.6 to 34 using tesco petrol.
    Car sounds a little bit rougher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

When I had the Mondeo

Tesco Fuel made the Engine sound funny?

Never used it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I would love to find a definitave answer with regards to the tesco fuel debate. A mechanic told me that all the fuel comes into the country via the same means so it should all be the same quality? But, same as above stories, i have heard people say they get less mpg from tesco fuel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,936 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have heard different companies add different additives to the fuel, so that could be part of the issue.

Could tesco also be diluting the fuel in some way so that you get less actual fuel per litre? I'm not sure if it is even possible, just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have heard different companies add different additives to the fuel, so that could be part of the issue.

Could tesco also be diluting the fuel in some way so that you get less actual fuel per litre? I'm not sure if it is even possible, just wondering.

You could fiddle the pumps, but if they were caught the punishment would be huge.

I find I get less MPG out of Tesco fuel also...

+1

My mpg dropped from around 35.6 to 34 using tesco petrol.
    Car sounds a little bit rougher too.

Regardless of how you are measuring it that is well a margin of error.

Even small changes in traffic, driving style or even weather could cause that difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ronoc wrote: »
    Regardless of how you are measuring it that is well a margin of error.

Even small changes in traffic, driving style or even weather could cause that difference.

yes i do realise this. On average over about 2 months of using Tesco petrol i noticed this though and i reset the mpg and milage every time i fill up.

I know its never going to be 100% accurate but it was a big enough difference to see it. Never gone below 35mpg using other brands regardless of conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Tesco use fuel from a number of suppliers Topaz and Esso for example
    BTW its 89.9 cent per litre ATM with the 10c off voucher

• Advertisement
Advertisement