Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Criminal record and Work visa

• 19-11-2008 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was wondering what the situation is regarding getting a USA work visa if you have a criminal record in Ireland. The offence is a drugs offence which resulted in a hefty fine but no sentence, suspended or otherwise. It happened about 4 years ago and since then have had no trouble, third level educated, stable job, etc. Would this prevent me getting a work visa?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

hiddenid wrote: »
    I was wondering what the situation is regarding getting a USA work visa if you have a criminal record in Ireland. The offence is a drugs offence which resulted in a hefty fine but no sentence, suspended or otherwise. It happened about 4 years ago and since then have had no trouble, third level educated, stable job, etc. Would this prevent me getting a work visa?

To America, I would believe so yes.

But you are probably best to seek independent legal advise as per the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

As far as i am aware and (i am subject to correction on this) In order to obtain a Visa you will have to submit a police certificate of character as part of the application process. This certificate would obviously say "you are of good character". However i doubt you would get such a certificate as a result of your conviction.

Sentence or not you were still convicted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 zander74

something similar happened me years ago, i then won a green card in the lottery, when i went to get the police certificate there was no record of it, got my green card no problem, so you never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hiddenid wrote: »
    The offence is a drugs offence which resulted in a hefty fine but no sentence, suspended or otherwise.
    The sentence was the fine. The person was found guilty, as opposed to getting the Probation Act and a court donation, yes?

For the USA the usual test is "crime of moral turpitude". And they really don't like drug crimes.

Best bet is to talk to an immigration lawyer.

Advertisement