Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would you offer?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Have decided to buy a nissian x trail. it's an 05 model 2.2dci the elegance model with leather interior and 42000 on the clock. Dealer is asking 13950. It will be a straight cash deal no trade in or finance required.

Thanks in advance.

There is also the option of a 06 model but it has 92000 on the clock looking for same money but not elegance model

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I'd stick with the 05 model.
    I'd go in a good bit less but not so low as to be offensive or obviously taking the piss - maybe see what the OMSP is on the ros website's vrt calculator and working from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Ros site has omsp at 22k!!!! they really need to sort their valuations out

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

For what it's worth, I would hate to be selling an X Trail now. They're generally accepted to be a bit of a pig and the market even for good cars is dead. If you really want it, maybe offer €9,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Try him with €12,500? What can he say yes or no. Don't forget that it's abuyers market now

Why are they accepted to be generally a bit of a pig? before i buy, it would be great to know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I like the look of the pathfinder myself.

Surprised the omsp is 22k - be good of them to bring it back in line with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

racso1975 wrote: »
    Why are they accepted to be generally a bit of a pig? before i buy, it would be great to know

That 2.2 dci engine is around a few years me thinks. I've driven a 2.2 Primera and X-trail (05 as well). I like the X-Trails for seom reason, there is nothing major wrong with them. They are an arse to sell on though, depriciate like a stone. Have you got a link to the car if it's advertised online.

I would make an offer of 2k under the askin price, and working from there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask dealer "how much for a straight sale?". He might say €13k?

Then say "I was thinking it's worth about €10k". Tell him you have other XTrails to see, but if you could agree a good price you'd look seriously at buying this one. You'll possibly end up with him coming down a bit and you going up a bit.

Push gently for consumables tax, tyres, mats, valet.........

Give it a shot. Be nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

+1

OP - leave the 06 one - sounds like a repmobile.

Besides, spec of 05 is better. Being older, more haggle-able too. Start at least 2.5k under the asking.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/X-Trail/2.2-DCI-/200821188937521/advert

If that is it, i wouldn't expect a whole pile of, as it is nearly one of the cheapest in the country as is. There are alot more, alot dearer than it. Depending on how bad of a state the dealer is in to get money, they might laugh at an offer of 10k etc. etc. You'll just have to go in and suss the out. See how much they are willing to leave it go for on a straight deal.

Proving my point, cheapest will always sell:D

• Advertisement

Yup that would be the one alright. Was hopin to get it for 12-12.5 :confused: sure i suppose i can only try. let ya know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ask dealer "how much for a straight sale?". He might say €13k?

Then say "I was thinking it's worth about €10k". Tell him you have other XTrails to see, but if you could agree a good price you'd look seriously at buying this one. You'll possibly end up with him coming down a bit and you going up a bit.

Push gently for consumables tax, tyres, mats, valet.........

Sound advice. Make sure the seller knows that you are serious and have the money ready. Never talk the car down. I wouldn't bother with any of those consumables, but from a garage I would look for the likes of warranty, service, NCT-guarantee, timing belt job, etc. but only after he's already come down in price to near where you want him.

Advertisement