Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Gasometer..

• 19-11-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

It was mentioned in a thread recently, which I can't find. But in the thread someone mentioned the new converence centre on the north quay and the new building which mirror's the Gasometer..

I took a photo of the building today, if someone could point out the thread maybe WBA could merge this?..

attachment.php?attachmentid=66982&d=1227111865

I think its a stunning sight.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wish they'd left the bottom of the cylinder hanging menacingly in an 'I'm about to fall on your heads' manner, but yes, it's a stunning building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You kinda want to see Richard Pryor go down it on a set of skis don't ya? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You kinda want to see Richard Pryor go down it on a set of skis don't ya? :D

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There's still a glass panel missing up at the top. I always notice that but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never seen it before. It looks great.

Like a glass cylinder just fell on the building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Or a can of beans!!!!!!!!1!

WindSock wrote: »
    Or a can of beans!!!!!!!!1!

Or the gasometer...

Old%20Gasometer%2078B-280D-25.jpg

Which was Sir John Rogersons quay, opposite the new building photographed above. Its was demolished in 1998 as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

That's the Kevin Roche Conference Center, not surprising since he is one of the most famous architects in the world and if I'm not mistaken his only building in Ireland. Some of his other buildings are:

Ford Foundation, New York:
    300px-Ford_foundation_building_1.JPG

Knights of Columbus Building, New Haven:
    2432573803_1cffa0d450.jpg

UN Plaza, New york:
    2006-07-01-02-38-16-0.jpg

General Foods HQ, NY
    GF_EX_1.jpg

Bank of America, Atlanta:
    atlanta04.jpg

Shiodome, Tokyo:
    35258145.DSC07313.JPG

60 Wall Street, New York:
    jp_morgan_broad.jpg

and the modern wings of the MET museum, New York:
    2006_06_metmuseum.jpg

Beats the Lego esq rubbish that's been going up in the city over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I heard a rumour that it was actually designed early 90's, but the planning never went through until quite recently... Anyone know if that's true or false?

It's a fantastic structure alright. Very impressive.

That sculpture of the 60ft man is being installed quite near it, yeah?

I know the row was going on over it for 10 years, wouldn't be surprised if it was longer. Never heard of this 60ft man sculpture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is the proposed sculpture.
    wire_198401t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mairt wrote: »
    No.

Superman 2? Anyone? Anyone? No?

Bah!

It's a great building though. I love it. It was pretty impressive watching the guy's lowered down from the top to put in the glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

spurious wrote: »
    wire_198401t.jpg

thats an old image - the new design he's facing the other way and no longer looks like he's taking a piss.

anyhoo - that sculpture was proposed back in the "we've got money falling out of our ass, lets build an escalator to the moon" crazy celtic-tiger days.

spurious wrote: »
    wire_198401t.jpg

That's actually rather tasteful, wonder what name we will christen it, the "squire made of wire" or probably something infinitly more amusing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Some bloke wants to stick a sculpture of a scumbag on a horse in the main thouroughfare of the "new" ballymun.
    Not surprisingly his idea is being met with some opposition.
    In his defence he says that ballymun people have a natural affinity with horses or some such shiite.
    I hope the poxy thing gets pulled down in the first week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It was mentioned in a thread recently, which I can't find...... .......if someone could point out the thread maybe WBA could merge this?..
    It was mentioned by boneless in the Poolbeg Chimneys Thread. I don't recall any other but perhaps it was in a different Forum.
    Its was demolished in 1998 as far as I can remember.
    I thought it was demolished around 1994/1995 but I could be wrong.

For anyone not familiar with it, it was located at the junction of Cardiff Lane and Sir John Rogerson's Quay beside The Ferryman Pub/Hotel and across the Liffey from the drawbridge on the North Wall Quay. I think it was in use until the arrival of Kinsale Gas in the mid-1980s.

Here's a 1988 pic with the Gasometer on the left.

GasometeratSunset.jpg

And here's an interesting pic of Mr John Lang from Liverpool precariously balancing on a couple of planks while working on the demolition of the lift shaft of the Gasometer.

GasometerDemolition.jpg

Its was demolished in 1998 as far as I can remember.
    I thought it was demolished around 1994/1995 but I could be wrong
    We were both wrong! It came down in 1996!

Here's another nice image found on the net.

GasometerPhotosearch.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Its a nice building alright Mairt, one of the few recent ones I'd like. I havent seen it before either, and it makes me think somehow of something else....

gasometer.jpg

Here's a couple of present day pics of the old Gasometer site.

SirJohnRogersonsQuayCardiffLane2411.jpg

SirJohnRogersonsQuayCardiffLane2-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

deswalsh wrote: »
    Its a nice building alright Mairt, one of the few recent ones I'd like. I havent seen it before either, and it makes me think somehow of something else....

gasometer.jpg

It's funny you should post this because one of the proposals for the old gasometer was to paint it to look like a pint of stout :) I think was during the 1988 "Mill anyone" (millenium :)) celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

How did they demolish it/What was it built of?

How did they demolish it/What was it built of?
    Acetylene torch by the looks of it - see post #17. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

After dis-mantling the structure the surrounding ground was excavated down about 7m. The ground was rancid and needed to be directly 'belted' onto a ship which then took the contaminated soil for washing in germany.
    I took on the site-engineering of the piling and basement slab works. It was interesting for 2 other reasons. The piles were precast concrete about 8m in length that needed to be driven into the ground. With all the ground vibrations Mr. Harry Crosbie and Mssrs U2 were concerned about their properties. So we placed measuring equipment in Crosbies house and U2's studio. So twice a week I got to wander about their properties. Very nice people.

humberklog wrote: »
    After dis-mantling the structure the surrounding ground was excavated down about 7m
    I recall wandering around there then while they were excavating the area. The ultimate 'brown field' site!

Were they spraying water over that site for ages also or am I confusing it with another?

I recall wandering around there then while they were excavating the area. The ultimate 'brown field' site!

Were they spraying water over that site for ages also or am I confusing it with another?

The whole site had to be de-contaminated which involved digging the soil to the bedrock and shipping it to Germany for disposal. This was because of the fact that all types of by-products of the coal used to manufacture the gas are highly toxic. I know there were high levels of carconogenics present.

I spent two weeks on the site in a space suit monitoring for esturine archaeological features when the landfill used for reclaimation was removed. The most boring two weeks of my life!! As I was stuck on the south quays, the lads on the north quays found Mesolithic fish traps!!!:mad:

The site of the old paint factory was treated in the same way. That was on Cardiff Lane I think.

There were a lot of sites around there needing in-situ spray downs. That site could have had it but there was a site further up towards Pearse St. that required constant dowsing. The pipe ran along the whole fence and it was there for a long, long time. That could be the one you're recalling. I think it was a Sisk site. White and red hoarding. The one at gasometer was MacNamara (Blue hoarding).

There were a lot of sites around there needing in-situ spray downs. That site could have had it but there was a site further up towards Pearse St. that required constant dowsing. The pipe ran along the whole fence and it was there for a long, long time. That could be the one you're recalling. I think it was a Sisk site. White and red hoarding. The one at gasometer was MacNamara (Blue hoarding).

I think that was the paint factory site I mentioned.

While we're on the subject, here's a couple of pics of a Clayton Gasometer on South Lotts Road.

1980s (with the then ubiquitous Mk IV Cortina :))

ClaytonGasometerSouthLottsRoad.jpg

2008 (after they ruined it :()

ClaytonGasometer2008.jpg

After dis-mantling the structure the surrounding ground was excavated down about 7m. The ground was rancid and needed to be directly 'belted' onto a ship which then took the contaminated soil for washing in germany.
    I took on the site-engineering of the piling and basement slab works. It was interesting for 2 other reasons. The piles were precast concrete about 8m in length that needed to be driven into the ground. With all the ground vibrations Mr. Harry Crosbie and Mssrs U2 were concerned about their properties. So we placed measuring equipment in Crosbies house and U2's studio. So twice a week I got to wander about their properties. Very nice people.

I missed your post while replying, sorry... we could have met each other at some stage :D!!

• Advertisement

While we're on the subject, here's a couple of pics of a Clayton Gasometer on South Lotts Road.

1980s (with the then ubiquitous Mk IV Cortina :))

ClaytonGasometerSouthLottsRoad.jpg

2008 (after they ruined it :()

ClaytonGasometer2008.jpg

Considering that it was a last minute reprieve as they were going to dismantle it, I actually like the re-use of space as a dwelling one. But I am a bit wierd :D!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

boneless wrote: »
    The whole site had to be de-contaminated which involved digging the soil to the bedrock and shipping it to Germany for disposal. This was because of the fact that all types of by-products of the coal used to manufacture the gas are highly toxic. I know there were high levels of carconogenics present.

I spent two weeks on the site in a space suit monitoring for esturine archaeological features when the landfill used for reclaimation was removed. The most boring two weeks of my life!! As I was stuck on the south quays, the lads on the north quays found Mesolithic fish traps!!!:mad:

The site of the old paint factory was treated in the same way. That was on Cardiff Lane I think.

Out of interest, was The Ferryman pub there before and during all these works? If so I bet it was a good old local and not the upmarket deal it is just now.

And wow! re the Mesolithic fish traps. If indeed they were the real deal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

How come they didn't keep the other Clayton gasometer?
    Would've made quite the pair, wouldn't they?
    I presume the second one was where Google's office is on Barrow St now?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

Ste.phen wrote: »
    How come they didn't keep the other Clayton gasometer?
    Would've made quite the pair, wouldn't they?
    I presume the second one was where Google's office is on Barrow St now?

I never realised there were two of them before.

When was the other one removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The first pic wishbone ash posted above shows the second one in the background. Not sure if there were more than 2 at any point? I presume the other one came down around the same time they started building around Barrow St, so late 90s?

Considering that it was a last minute reprieve as they were going to dismantle it, I actually like the re-use of space as a dwelling one. But I am a bit wierd :D!!

I'm with you on this one.

I think its great too.

• Advertisement

I missed your post while replying, sorry... we could have met each other at some stage :D!!

I was trying to think when I was there. Post excavation anyway but early on on the job. Early to mid '03 I reckon. I get all mixed up on dates of buildings I was on. Think it was before Dundrum sooooooo...'03.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Out of interest, was The Ferryman pub there before and during all these works? If so I bet it was a good old local and not the upmarket deal it is just now.

And wow! re the Mesolithic fish traps. If indeed they were the real deal :rolleyes:

The fish traps were the real deal okay :cool:!

They were perfectly (or as near as) preserved under a layer of sterile silt. The anaerobic conditions aided the preservation. Archaeology Ireland had an article on them in 2003 or 2004.

Found another of the Gasometer..

attachment.php?attachmentid=70556&stc=1&d=1232162149

'Guaranteed Irish' adverts on the bus!..

I only noticed this yesterday while taking photos for another thread.

On the site of the old Gasometer ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=70662&stc=1&d=1232289353

The glass structure on top of the building, I'm guessing its a nod to the old Gasometer?.

Excuse the bad photo quality, the photo was take from Northwall Quay through yesterdays torrential downpour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It was a big old gasometer.

380p_a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Please excuse my ignorance but what did the gasometer do? Did it store gas? Somebody else mentioned getting gas from coal? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sillymoo wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance but what did the gasometer do? Did it store gas? Somebody else mentioned getting gas from coal? :confused:
    You are a sillymoo indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_holder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    You are a sillymoo indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_holder

Wow that sounds mighty dangerous :eek:

They made a lovely job of the ones in Vienna.

I only noticed this yesterday while taking photos for another thread.

On the site of the old Gasometer ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=70662&stc=1&d=1232289353

The glass structure on top of the building, I'm guessing its a nod to the old Gasometer?.

Excuse the bad photo quality, the photo was take from Northwall Quay through yesterdays torrential downpour.
    Here's a better one Mairt although a few months old. I also managed to capture the reflection of the conference centre across the water.

SirJohnRogersonsQuayOldGasometerSit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Just looking at your two photos above, Mairt and Wish, it's like looking at a reflection in time.

Now I wonder will they ever try to to bring the cranes that lined both sides of the quays back to life in some way, as they did with what appears to be a gibbet/gallows on that horrible building in Dame St.

The next big fright they have lined up for is is the Wire Man standing in the Liffey at Sir John Rogerson's Quay. Anyone see it in the papers? The artist's impression shows it looking like a figure peeing. And its going to be as tall as the Statue of Liberty!:eek:

Rashers wrote: »
    The next big fright they have lined up for is is the Wire Man standing in the Liffey at Sir John Rogerson's Quay. Anyone see it in the papers? The artist's impression shows it looking like a figure peeing. And its going to be as tall as the Statue of Liberty!:eek:
    That has been shelved.

There's also a thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465121

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

That has been shelved.

There's also a thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465121

Oh thank god for that. The thread on Archiseek, when I last looked, seemed to show the planning all done and dusted. But I see now it's been updated since I last looked.

/sigh of relief... thanks Wish.

Going through the 'Historic Dub' thread and I found this one..

attachment.php?attachmentid=70734&stc=1&d=1232351216

Just incase the younger guys here think we never had a skyscraper!..

Taken from the 27 steps in Summerhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TutuKaka

attachment.php?attachmentid=66982&d=1227111865

I think the main building part is rather dull. I like the glass front but just think they could have done more with it. Maybe there will be some exterior panelling added?

• Advertisement
Advertisement