Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gasometer..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

boneless wrote: »
    The whole site had to be de-contaminated which involved digging the soil to the bedrock and shipping it to Germany for disposal. This was because of the fact that all types of by-products of the coal used to manufacture the gas are highly toxic. I know there were high levels of carconogenics present.

I spent two weeks on the site in a space suit monitoring for esturine archaeological features when the landfill used for reclaimation was removed. The most boring two weeks of my life!! As I was stuck on the south quays, the lads on the north quays found Mesolithic fish traps!!!:mad:

The site of the old paint factory was treated in the same way. That was on Cardiff Lane I think.

Out of interest, was The Ferryman pub there before and during all these works? If so I bet it was a good old local and not the upmarket deal it is just now.

And wow! re the Mesolithic fish traps. If indeed they were the real deal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

How come they didn't keep the other Clayton gasometer?
    Would've made quite the pair, wouldn't they?
    I presume the second one was where Google's office is on Barrow St now?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

Ste.phen wrote: »
    How come they didn't keep the other Clayton gasometer?
    Would've made quite the pair, wouldn't they?
    I presume the second one was where Google's office is on Barrow St now?

I never realised there were two of them before.

When was the other one removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The first pic wishbone ash posted above shows the second one in the background. Not sure if there were more than 2 at any point? I presume the other one came down around the same time they started building around Barrow St, so late 90s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Considering that it was a last minute reprieve as they were going to dismantle it, I actually like the re-use of space as a dwelling one. But I am a bit wierd :D!!

I'm with you on this one.

I think its great too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I missed your post while replying, sorry... we could have met each other at some stage :D!!

I was trying to think when I was there. Post excavation anyway but early on on the job. Early to mid '03 I reckon. I get all mixed up on dates of buildings I was on. Think it was before Dundrum sooooooo...'03.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Out of interest, was The Ferryman pub there before and during all these works? If so I bet it was a good old local and not the upmarket deal it is just now.

And wow! re the Mesolithic fish traps. If indeed they were the real deal :rolleyes:

The fish traps were the real deal okay :cool:!

They were perfectly (or as near as) preserved under a layer of sterile silt. The anaerobic conditions aided the preservation. Archaeology Ireland had an article on them in 2003 or 2004.

Found another of the Gasometer..

attachment.php?attachmentid=70556&stc=1&d=1232162149

'Guaranteed Irish' adverts on the bus!..

I only noticed this yesterday while taking photos for another thread.

On the site of the old Gasometer ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=70662&stc=1&d=1232289353

The glass structure on top of the building, I'm guessing its a nod to the old Gasometer?.

Excuse the bad photo quality, the photo was take from Northwall Quay through yesterdays torrential downpour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It was a big old gasometer.

380p_a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Please excuse my ignorance but what did the gasometer do? Did it store gas? Somebody else mentioned getting gas from coal? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sillymoo wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance but what did the gasometer do? Did it store gas? Somebody else mentioned getting gas from coal? :confused:
    You are a sillymoo indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_holder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    You are a sillymoo indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_holder

Wow that sounds mighty dangerous :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They made a lovely job of the ones in Vienna.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt wrote: »
    I only noticed this yesterday while taking photos for another thread.

On the site of the old Gasometer ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=70662&stc=1&d=1232289353

The glass structure on top of the building, I'm guessing its a nod to the old Gasometer?.

Excuse the bad photo quality, the photo was take from Northwall Quay through yesterdays torrential downpour.
    Here's a better one Mairt although a few months old. I also managed to capture the reflection of the conference centre across the water.

SirJohnRogersonsQuayOldGasometerSit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Just looking at your two photos above, Mairt and Wish, it's like looking at a reflection in time.

Now I wonder will they ever try to to bring the cranes that lined both sides of the quays back to life in some way, as they did with what appears to be a gibbet/gallows on that horrible building in Dame St.

The next big fright they have lined up for is is the Wire Man standing in the Liffey at Sir John Rogerson's Quay. Anyone see it in the papers? The artist's impression shows it looking like a figure peeing. And its going to be as tall as the Statue of Liberty!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rashers wrote: »
    The next big fright they have lined up for is is the Wire Man standing in the Liffey at Sir John Rogerson's Quay. Anyone see it in the papers? The artist's impression shows it looking like a figure peeing. And its going to be as tall as the Statue of Liberty!:eek:
    That has been shelved.

There's also a thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465121

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

That has been shelved.

There's also a thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465121

Oh thank god for that. The thread on Archiseek, when I last looked, seemed to show the planning all done and dusted. But I see now it's been updated since I last looked.

/sigh of relief... thanks Wish.

Going through the 'Historic Dub' thread and I found this one..

attachment.php?attachmentid=70734&stc=1&d=1232351216

Just incase the younger guys here think we never had a skyscraper!..

Taken from the 27 steps in Summerhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TutuKaka

attachment.php?attachmentid=66982&d=1227111865

I think the main building part is rather dull. I like the glass front but just think they could have done more with it. Maybe there will be some exterior panelling added?

• Advertisement
Advertisement