Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Internet Banking - Flakey!

Options
  • 19-11-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

:mad:

For the past month, AIBs internet banking service has been really awful.

Frequently, the page doesn't load, and often when it does, it doesn't work properly, or fails to load subsequent pages.

Often, this is the message I get:
    You tried to access the address https://internetbanking.aib.ie/hb1/roi/signon, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

Secure connection: fatal error (552)

https://internetbanking.aib.ie/hb1/roi/signon

This is really ticking me off, especially today as I've been trying to log in for 20 minutes already.

Anyone else have trouble with AIB Internet Banking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Can't say I have ever had a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Ive had no problems with it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dirtycode

It's frequently problematic for me too. Not only that but it is usually down after midnight.

It should be called AIB 18 hour banking :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I've been having sporadic problems with the login page for about a month or so now. I click to get to the login screen but it just times out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I have had no problems but I did notice yesterday that they have a new webpage. Maybe the "artistic creation" of same was interfering with the older site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Haven't had any issues (I'd be on it at least once a day). Have you contacted them regarding this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Zero problems here (and I'm on it a couple of times a day at various hours) beyond the 2 everyones aware of
    - sometimes down for 3 or 4 hours between midnight and about 6am
    - can't logout properly in the new firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Random wrote: »
    - can't logout properly in the new firefox

scroll down and you will see that you are logged out

dubmick wrote: »
    scroll down and you will see that you are logged out
    Ah, so they fixed it - nice one! :)

Ah, so they fixed it - nice one! :)

I don't think they did. I think that was always what the problem was. Firefox 3 is not correctly handling the page (I assume that the problem is with Firefox 3 as I don't hear people with IE or Firefox 2 complaining).

Viewing the source HTML via Firefox 3, I can see Firefox complaining of a load of errors. However, glancing at the code, I think most of these things are actually perfectly alright. The one thing that might be causing the problem (and certainly looks wrong) is the position of the closing tag for the <form> element (line 112). But again, why does this get interpreted correctly for IE and previous Firefox browsers? Ultimately, I can't see this being fixed until AIB add FF3 to their testplans (significantly increasing overhead)

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    I don't think they did. I think that was always what the problem was. Firefox 3 is not correctly handling the page (I assume that the problem is with Firefox 3 as I don't hear people with IE or Firefox 2 complaining).

Viewing the source HTML via Firefox 3, I can see Firefox complaining of a load of errors. However, glancing at the code, I think most of these things are actually perfectly alright. The one thing that might be causing the problem (and certainly looks wrong) is the position of the closing tag for the <form> element (line 112). But again, why does this get interpreted correctly for IE and previous Firefox browsers? Ultimately, I can't see this being fixed until AIB add FF3 to their testplans (significantly increasing overhead)
    I used be able to click the back button in my browser and I'd see the last page I was viewing (my recent transactions for example). Now if I click back it tells me session timed out or something similiar. Something has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I used be able to click the back button in my browser and I'd see the last page I was viewing (my recent transactions for example). Now if I click back it tells me session timed out or something similiar. Something has changed.

I never tried the back button, never dawned on me BUT I am glad it doesn't work now. What about people on public computers? I know you have to properly log off etc, but no way should the back button work on an internet banking site :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

dirtycode wrote: »
    It's frequently problematic for me too. Not only that but it is usually down after midnight.

It should be called AIB 18 hour banking :p

It's called 'AIB Online Banking' precisely because it's not operational 24 hrs

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    I never tried the back button, never dawned on me BUT I am glad it doesn't work now. What about people on public computers? I know you have to properly log off etc, but no way should the back button work on an internet banking site :eek:
    Exactly, their response to me (and a number of other people) was simply not to use FF on public PCs.

Rosser wrote: »
    It's called 'AIB Online Banking' precisely because it's not operational 24 hrs
    Yah, it's true they rebranded it a couple years ago (is it that long?) but you'd still expect it not to have to go offline each night. I guess though all great things (Boards included :) ) need a couple of hours to run backups etc each night.

Am not sure, but I think the reason why it might be down for a few hours during the night is because that is when interest rates are calculated, direct debits / standing orders transferred etc.

If this is the case, then I suppose it would make sense, otherwise the figures wouldn't be accurate for the duration (ie if you had a DD paying money from a current account to a loan account, during the batch, the money might still be in your current account but also in you loan account, or vice versa and the money would be be missing from both etc.

Likewise, for interest (which is calculated daily). If people are in the middle of moving funds between accounts while interest is being calculated, you could end up getting interest applied to both accounts (or worse, applied to neither!)

Can't say for sure so don't quote me on that!

dotsman wrote: »
    Am not sure, but I think the reason why it might be down for a few hours during the night is because that is when interest rates are calculated, direct debits / standing orders transferred etc.

If this is the case, then I suppose it would make sense, otherwise the figures wouldn't be accurate for the duration (ie if you had a DD paying money from a current account to a loan account, during the batch, the money might still be in your current account but also in you loan account, or vice versa and the money would be be missing from both etc.

Likewise, for interest (which is calculated daily). If people are in the middle of moving funds between accounts while interest is being calculated, you could end up getting interest applied to both accounts (or worse, applied to neither!)

Can't say for sure so don't quote me on that!
    These things are supposed to be instant and have redundancies build in to prevent you taking money that's not there etc I'd have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I never have any issues with it. I just browse to https://internetbanking.aib.ie/roi/presign.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I never have any problems with it either!

I used to have problems with it when I lived abroad though, but I think the site used to go down for an hour or so during the night...

I think at the time I got so annoyed about it that I emailed in a letter of complaint stating that their name of 24 hour banking was misleading advertising!

Not sure if it still goes down now though

Advertisement