Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical problems.

Options
  • 19-11-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am having problems running some sites lately. My computer won't connect to microgaming, Bodog, or UB. I normally play on stars and full tilt and these sites load up fine. It must be something to do with my firewall settings but I have turned them off and still no luck. I'm running AVG anti-virus also. Would it have anything to do with my broadband connection? I use 02 mobile BB. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Could be your ISP. Can't think of any other reason for it. Might be worthwhile contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

do you have Windows Vista? that seems to be the main cause of software problems.

Seriously though Nicky is right, it is probably your ISP or your firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Thanks for the replies. By ISP, do you mean the 02 broadband? It sometimes says 'cannot contact server' when trying to connect. Yeah I have vista unfortunately. I bought a new desk-top recently and I had no choice but to have the shaggin' thing installed. Takes up a lot of room too. My old lap top used windows xp, and I never had a problem connecting to any networks before.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. By ISP, do you mean the 02 broadband? It sometimes says 'cannot contact server' when trying to connect. Yeah I have vista unfortunately. I bought a new desk-top recently and I had no choice but to have the shaggin' thing installed. Takes up a lot of room too. My old lap top used windows xp, and I never had a problem connecting to any networks before.

Throw mobile broadband in the bin. The message "cannot connect to gaming server" is an Internet issue at your end. At peak times the signal can become weak.

flushje wrote: »
    Throw mobile broadband in the bin. The message "cannot connect to gaming server" is an Internet issue at your end. At peak times the signal can become weak.
    Is there really no way around this, like changing a few settings. I only purchased this broadband because I moved in to an apartment with no active phone line. It seems strange that stars and full tilt work fine but other sites won't run. The broadband actually seemed ok until now, i.e. fast downloads etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭gkenny

I use vodafone mobile. no problems on any site.

Have irish broadband in home house. Keep getting "cannot connect to server" for ipoker. Nearly sure its a memory problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

gkenny wrote: »

Have irish broadband in home house. Keep getting "cannot connect to server" for ipoker. Nearly sure its a memory problem.

It is a connection issue when you get the message "cannot connect to gaming server".

It may not effect some sites, but generally it is widely known that wireless/mobile broadband is never 100% stable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

gkenny wrote: »

Memory problem????

That's a net problem.

I used to use Eircom Broadband at home and sometimes Bodog would not connect. However, I would just turn off my firewall and then it would start up fine. The same would apply for poker stars. I agree that my mobile connection is probably the problem, but is there any way of fixing this without having to just get a new provider. I signed a 12 month with mobile broadband so I am sort of stuck with it for the time being.

Advertisement