Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Judge throws out speeding summonses

Options
  • 19-11-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted. Saw this earlier on RTE 1. I wonder what the final figure on this will be. I presume he's refering to the roads that were upgraded to Motorway status a while ago.
    RTE.ie wrote:
    Over 100 summonses for speeding were thrown out by a Dublin judge this morning, bringing the total to more than 200 dismissed in the past two days.

The summonses against more than 200 people were thrown out of court because the local authorities did not publish speed limit changes in the official Government publication Iris Oifigiúil as required.

The gardaí sought adjournment of the cases when they became aware of the problem but Judge Clare Leonard refused this application.
    Advertisement

The gardaí are now seeking legal advice on how to proceed in forthcoming cases from the Director of Public Prosecutions.

It is not clear how many more cases could be affected but it estimated to be in the hundreds.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1119/roads.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Interesting loophole.

A link to the few of the publications notifying speed limit changes...

http://search.opw.ie/query.html?col=irisoifi&qt=%22Speed+Limits%22&charset=iso-8859-1&style=Iris

Haven't found the bye-law for lowering the M50 to 100kph yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I think my dad got two points on way out to airport in the 80km zone. It was mentioned on the news that this was one of the routes where limits were not valid? Does anybody know how ud go about getting ur money back and getting points removed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Brewster wrote: »
    I think my dad got two points on way out to airport in the 80km zone. It was mentioned on the news that this was one of the routes where limits were not valid? Does anybody know how ud go about getting ur money back and getting points removed?!

Probably the Fixed Charge Penalty Office. Thnik they are based in Thurles now. If they can't help you, they should at least be able to tell you where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Furze

Brewster wrote: »

This happened me there as well - first time.
    Paid fine and got the 2 points. No idea if I was actually over the limit, although I thought the summons said 60kph.

By paying fine, have I accepted "guilty charge" regardless of the technicality ?

Furze wrote: »
    By paying fine, have I accepted "guilty charge" regardless of the technicality ?

Not true. The new speed limits even though were displayed have no actual legal standing so therefore cannot be legally enforced.

Believe it or not it is the same for the traffic lights we see at roadworks. If they are temporary lights the county council will not create a bye law putting them on a legal footing. This means that you cannot be prosecuted for breaking the red light if there is no traffic on the other side coming towards you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

TheNog wrote: »
    Not true. The new speed limits even though were displayed have no actual legal standing so therefore cannot be legally enforced.

Believe it or not it is the same for the traffic lights we see at roadworks. If they are temporary lights the county council will not create a bye law putting them on a legal footing. This means that you cannot be prosecuted for breaking the red light if there is no traffic on the other side coming towards you.

Really, that is VERY interesting...

TheNog wrote: »
    you cannot be prosecuted for breaking the red light
    Really, that is VERY interesting...

I wouldn't try it though if there was a patrol car behind you. There are other offences you could be prosecuted for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Furze wrote: »
    This happened me there as well - first time.
    Paid fine and got the 2 points. No idea if I was actually over the limit, although I thought the summons said 60kph.

My mate got his 2pts wiped and €80 refunded back to his credit card yesterday without even asking for it so you should be OK (M1 "offence").

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement