Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop losing connection to Wifi Router

Options
  • 19-11-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Very odd situation with a new Netgear router I got from UPC.

The router appears to be set up correctly and I am now connected to it on my PC (XP SP3) using a d-link usb Wifi adapter. Constant pings.

My laptop on the other hand (Vista SP1) will connect to the router but then drops completely from it as the if the router was powered off. A few minutes later it will connect and drop again The PC remains connected to whole time this is going on.

I 'm assuming that the is something different between XP and Vista or the adapters the machines are using to cause this but cannot find anything.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Can't help unfortunately but I have the exact same problem with a UPC Netgear WGR614v7, also vista SP1. Been happening since the weekend, the modems been working over a year with no issues. I've gone through everything I can think of and no luck. Can only connect
    to it with an ethernet cable. Wireless drops within a minute. If anything works I'll let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Ares wrote: »
    to it with an ethernet cable. Wireless drops within a minute. If anything works I'll let you know

If you havent already try change the wireless channel on the Netgear or if you have a cordless phone near the router move them apart, it could be as simple as interference affecting the wireless signal causing it to drop or lose connection.

I know with windows Xp you can change a setting so windows controls the wireless connection unfortunately Vista does not have this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Ok so it was suggested here that I try change the channel of the router to 6 or 11, so I changed to 6 and removed any previous connections. Just connected and its working.

Pings have never been better in fact. :)

Give it a go and let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Ok so it was suggested here that I try change the channel of the router to 6 or 11, so I changed to 6 and removed any previous connections. Just connected and its working.

Pings have never been better in fact. :)

Give it a go and let me know.

4, 6 & 11 are main channels to select but it depends on a couple of things in the house like cordless phones and interference, you might find 6 does not work so skip up 8 and try that and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

1, 6 & 11 BTW :)

cc783011.87018765-a919-4f94-99d8-999c34c737ee(en-us).gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Well since I ve changed to channel 6 I have not lost my connection once.
    recommended to anyone with similiar issue's.

Advertisement