Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Skype - Skypeout Con

• 19-11-2008 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

http://www.three.ie/skype.htm

On 30th October got a email from 3 & Skype about their new SkypePhone
    Checked it out, looked ok, maybe too good??, signed up

Stupid, stupid me

Skype to Skype calls - worked well - better quality than many Skype calls I've made in the past

SkypeOut doesn't work

I've Skype credit
    I can make SkypeOut calls on PC, but not on 3

After a WEEK of enduring 3's Customer Disservice, they finally informed me that I'll need an additional Skype subscription – on top of Skype Credit - before I can make Skypeout calls on my new SkypePhone

What?

Assumed phone support was was incorrect
    Went into 3 Store and after a lengthy phone call between the store's staff and their own boffins, the store staff confirmed that this farcical situation was indeed correct

Yet according to 3 and Skype's email, 3’s own FAQ and their terms and conditions you need EITHER Skype credit OR a Skype subscription to make SkypeOut calls

What a rip off!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you're right in that they don't make it very obvious that skype out doesn't work.

in the past few months it does work to non-irish numbers btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The problem is the current skype phone does not let you upgrade the skype application to include skype out. Bring back the phone and exchange for another model which will let you upgrade the application. I would suggest the k530i as its its only 99, then you can skype out using your skype credit and your skype to skype calls will be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Archu

Apologies - I'm confused

I can make Skype to Skype calls

I cannot make Skypeout calls, ie international calls from Skype to say and American land line

3 told me - twice, once by telephone customer service and again by staff in 3 store - that it was not a software / hardware issue as I had their own S1 SkypePhone which has Skype "built in"

Rather 3 told me I can only make SkypeOut calls if I paid for an additional monthly subscription on top of my SkypeOut credit

Are 3's staff talking thru their ar$e?

Is it possible to use 3's 'Free' Skype Application - not Fring, or other similar - but 3's own installed Skype applications - to make Skypeout calls without this additional subscription?

Many thanks

When skype was first launched it was skype to skype only. This version of skype is built into the current skype phone. About two months 3 launched skype out. To avail of this you needed to download the updated version of skype from planet 3. As the skype phone has the application built in this was not possible. All phones currently able to make skype calls can now make skype out calls with the new version (except the skype phone), this is not entirely 3's fault as the skype 2 phone was supposed to have been released at this stage and skype out calls would have been available. You can return the handset and get another handset from 3 with skype on it. When you get it redownload the application from planet 3 and away you go, you could also wait for the new INQ phone which will be launched soon by 3. This is geared very much towards all internet applications. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Archu wrote: »
    Are 3's staff talking thru their ar$e?
    Regardless of the situation, yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Theres an option in the skype phone menu for a software upgrade. Have you cheked that yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Isn't there a new skype phone out in the next week or 2 that will allow you to use skype out (for non irish numbers). I use skpeout using the 3 app on my E71....works a treat....

OP you bought a **** phone, sorry to brake the bad news:) 3 Offer a 28 day exchange maybe you could avail of that and uprade to something decent....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Archu

neilled wrote: »
    Theres an option in the skype phone menu for a software upgrade. Have you cheked that yet?

thought of this, 3 store staff also tried it - doesn't work

3's technical support staff said the only option was to buy an additional Skype subscription

It's neither a dud phone nor does it need a s/w update - 3 have deliberately disabled SkypOut unless you have a Skype Subscription, normal Skype Credit is not sufficient

This confuses me :confused:
    Why do 3 push their own S1 SypePhone if it doesn't work as advertised

3 advertise their S1 SkypePhone, and clearly state right next to it's
    photograph that you'll need either Skype Credit OR a SypeOut subscription to call phones abroad

Yet 3 are now saying that own S1 SkypePhone does indeed support SkypeOut - but it wont work with 'just' Skype Credit
    3 will (can?) only make SkypeOut available on their S1 SkypePhone if you take out the an additional Skype Subscription at extra cost

Now, to get a refund from 3 ...

Archu wrote: »
    thought of this, 3 store staff also tried it - doesn't work

3's technical support staff said the only option was to buy an additional Skype subscription

It's neither a dud phone nor does it need a s/w update - 3 have deliberately disabled SkypOut unless you have a Skype Subscription, normal Skype Credit is not sufficient

This confuses me :confused:
    Why do 3 push their own S1 SypePhone if it doesn't work as advertised

3 advertise their S1 SkypePhone, and clearly state right next to it's
    photograph that you'll need either Skype Credit OR a SypeOut subscription to call phones abroad

Yet 3 are now saying that own S1 SkypePhone does indeed support SkypeOut - but it wont work with 'just' Skype Credit
    3 will (can?) only make SkypeOut available on their S1 SkypePhone if you take out the an additional Skype Subscription at extra cost

Now, to get a refund from 3 ...
    easiest thing to do. Go back to store, swap for the k530i, update the skype application through planet 3 then you can skype out. Easy as that.

Advertisement