Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEE email

Options
  • 19-11-2008 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Did anyone get an email earlier from the FEE group about the meeting they're holding later? It was sent to my personal email that I rarely use. I have never had anything to do with this group, nor do I want to, and I am quite unhappy that they have managed to get my email. I'm fairly sure I know how they got it, but I can only be certain by seeing if anyone else got one! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

you seem to have bad luck with email + spammy things doncha ergo? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ah I don't really. Just the thing with Sulis and the password change, and the password thing happened to everyone! :) I don't really mind spam, to a point, but I am highly unimpressed with the way I think my email address was obtained by this FEE group and won't be letting it lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Nope, didn't get it, though they'd know better than to try me, the same people!!!

I don't know if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill or not, but this email came to my personal email address which I have tried hard to keep private, and only use for certain things. I use it for a couple of things in the SU and I have a feeling they lifted the address from an email that was sent to a number of people from the SU. It pisses me off as there were fliers all over the place yesterday, they didn't need to go stealing email addresses without permission. Now they don't even have the balls to reply to me telling me how they got my email, which only cements the fact that they robbed it off another email.

It just annoys me that they could my email, how hard is it to put addresses in the BCC window, instead of in To or CC where everyone can read all the email addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

ergonomics wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill or not, but this email came to my personal email address which I have tried hard to keep private, and only use for certain things. I use it for a couple of things in the SU and I have a feeling they lifted the address from an email that was sent to a number of people from the SU. It pisses me off as there were fliers all over the place yesterday, they didn't need to go stealing email addresses without permission. Now they don't even have the balls to reply to me telling me how they got my email, which only cements the fact that they robbed it off another email.

It just annoys me that they could my email, how hard is it to put addresses in the BCC window, instead of in To or CC where everyone can read all the email addresses.

FEE probably just emailed you by mistake and Im sure there was no malice intended. There are people from all societys,clubs and courses involved in UL FEE and hence there was probably a mix up in the mailing lists.

As a member of FEE in UCD and knowing the UL FEE activists If you send me on your email by pm I will ask them to take you off the list asap.

Apologies for sending you the email.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    There are people from all societys,clubs and courses involved in UL FEE and hence there was probably a mix up in the mailing lists.

Didn't look that way to me.;)

ninty9er wrote: »
    Didn't look that way to me.;)

Ah a UL Fianna Fail'er I see! I think you've got the wrong website , Its Indymedia your looking for.....

Ah a UL Fianna Fail'er I see! I think you've got the wrong website , Its Indymedia your looking for.....
    :D:D

Don't worry, I've uncovered the "FEE" sh1te over there too
    ;)

FEE probably just emailed you by mistake and Im sure there was no malice intended. There are people from all societys,clubs and courses involved in UL FEE and hence there was probably a mix up in the mailing lists.

I never said it was malicious, but that doesn't make it ok for them to use my email, and if it was a genuine mistake why are they ignoring the emails I sent them asking how they got my email?

ergonomics wrote: »
    I never said it was malicious, but that doesn't make it ok for them to use my email, and if it was a genuine mistake why are they ignoring the emails I sent them asking how they got my email?

Genuinally I say they are just busy with study,the meeting,the blockade etc etc and havent had time to reply.
    But I'll get onto them and ask them to remove your email from the list.

Sorry again.I agree its not right to abuse student email lists,If you didnt sign up to something then you shouldnt be annoyed by there emails. Im sick of the UCDents junk Im continously sent after repeatedly asking them to take me of the list!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

What is the FEE group?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Diamond007 wrote: »
    What is the FEE group?

Quite simply another group against the introduction of fees!

Free Educaction for Everyone is their actual name - They are a Pan-Uni group and they are ........... to be nicely put....... a bit more extreem in their methods.

Check out this article for proof:

Bare in mind half of it is sh1te:

http://free-education.info/2008/11/19/ul-students-union-orchestrate-pantomime-blockade-of-minister/
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Diamond007 wrote: »
    What is the FEE group?

FEE (Free Education for Everyone) is a group that was set up by UCD students in September to oppose the reintroduction of third levels fee's.

We believe that Lobbying or photo-stunts will not be sufficient to defeat fees. We stand for the building of a mass activist grassroots student campaign to fight the attempt to bring in fees and fight for genuinely free education.We believe that education should be funded through central progressive taxation on the rich and the corporations along with an end to the €80 million/year subsidy of private second level education by the government.
    Since starting in UCD, FEE now has branches set up in UL, UCC, UGC, Trinity and Maynooth.

We have succesfully oragnised three blockade's in UCD against goverment ministers who think they can waltz on to our campus in their chauffer driven merc's, We say If they block our access to univesity, we'll block theres!
    Its not good enough just to have one national demo and then just leave it at that. FEE are the one nationwide group that have continously placed pressure on goverment ministers on the Fee's issue.

In UL FEE will be holding regular meetings and stalls, so do come along and find out what we're all about. :)

Here is a good article on what FEE's about :)http://free-education.info/2008/11/18/future-of-free-fees/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sorry again.I agree its not right to abuse student email lists
    Damn tootin.
    If you didnt sign up to something then you shouldnt be annoyed by there emails.
    I assume you meant "should".

I'm never impressed by people who lift email addresses from email lists that they don't run - in other words just use email addresses that are available to them merely because they've found them. Regardless of whether the original email should have been BCCed or not (and I suspect the only reason it wasn't is because the person who sent it hasn't figured out how to BCC), it makes the crowd sending it look like a crowd of spammers. That's pretty much the same thing the UL Foundation pull every once in a while, as with the occasional plonker who reckons it's OK to sent out rubbish about some FYP they're supervising.

Bold people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

sceptre wrote: »
    I assume you meant "should".

I'm never impressed by people who lift email addresses from email lists that they don't run - in other words just use email addresses that are available to them merely because they've found them. Regardless of whether the original email should have been BCCed or not (and I suspect the only reason it wasn't is because the person who sent it hasn't figured out how to BCC), it makes the crowd sending it look like a crowd of spammers. That's pretty much the same thing the UL Foundation pull every once in a while, as with the occasional plonker who reckons it's OK to sent out rubbish about some FYP they're supervising.

Bold people.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

DJCR wrote: »

bad move by the su for sure but what a a crock of **** article

PeakOutput wrote: »

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

PeakOutput wrote: »

Meh I read it and I had a mental image of someone sitting at their keyboard typing it foaming at the mouth with rage. SU, Gardai and Finna Fail and one giant conspiracy :P worthy of an episode of the X Files maybe.

As much as I dislike FF I don't think it's very fair to single out the president of the SU for being an FF member and insinuate that the protest was some how a sham so he could protect Martin Cullen from a protest.

Advertisement