Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is responsible for footpath repair/maintenance in front of house?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi All,

We bought our house about a year ago - at the front of the house we have a cobblelock drive that runs up to the edge of a cement public footpath that runs the length of the block and then theres the roadway.

The problem that has occurred is that there is a cover for the water mains in the footpath and a crack has formed along the width of the path right where this cover is and on either side of it. At first it was only a small crack barely noticeable but as the winter has gone on it has widened substantially to a few cms across. I am worried that it will continue to widen and allow water to erode the underneath of the path and eventually the path will collapse.

But who is responsible for looking after/fixing it - as far as I am aware the builders are still on site and maintaining the common areas. But the council has stated that they will take this over. Can I request that the builders fix it since they laid the path or do I have to contact the council? Or worse case scenario am I considered responsible for it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JD1763 wrote: »
    But who is responsible for looking after/fixing it - as far as I am aware the builders are still on site and maintaining the common areas. But the council has stated that they will take this over. Can I request that the builders fix it since they laid the path or do I have to contact the council? Or worse case scenario am I considered responsible for it?
    Based on this, it sounds like the developer is repsonsible. The council is likely to insist that is fixed before they take the are in charge. Best to mention it to both of them.

While any abnormality can set up a crack (cracks form easily from corners) it might be a water leak.

Advertisement