Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's computer says no.... am I f*cked now?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

The Eircom line "test" simply accesses a database which can take 2 to 3 weeks to update. I had the same problem and it showed up as passed after 2 weeks. Dont give up hope yet.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, so what I am hearing here is that I should:

1. Leave the line disconnected but wired from the main Eircom box out the back for a month.

2. Feign interest in getting it BUT tell them I dont want to be charged if it fails etc and then get it retested (or preferably, have them test it before I pay for the connection).

The line was connected from the box out the back to my apartment by an service technician who didnt seem to be the type who would hang around for hours pretending to do some work so I take it he actually DID some wiring or connecting.

Don't BT use the same kit as Eircom? or do they have their own kit etc? ie: is it possible to fail an eircom test and still get ADSL from BT?

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DeVore wrote: »
    1. Leave the line disconnected but wired from the main Eircom box out the back for a month.

What exactly do you mean by "leave the line disconnected"? I'm pretty sure the line needs to be connected to eircoms network and active. So if you hooked a phone up to it, it would be able to make a call. Not too sure about that though.

2. Feign interest in getting it BUT tell them I dont want to be charged if it fails etc and then get it retested (or preferably, have them test it before I pay for the connection).

I'd go with the former. Tell them you really want to get eircom broadband as you're friend has it and it's the bestest thing ever, but stay pretty firm on not paying to have the line connected unless it passes. Getting it confirmed in an email might be best as then you have written proof whereas a phone call they can just fob you off saying they have no record of that.
    Don't BT use the same kit as Eircom? or do they have their own kit etc? ie: is it possible to fail an eircom test and still get ADSL from BT?

DeV.

It could be possible but I'd doubt it. Eircom are in charge of everything from the exchange to your house. The quality of the line from the exchange to your house (and a few other things as well) is one of the main things that determines if you can get broadband. Your line is the same no matter who your broadband is with so it's unlikely bt will be much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

BT use the same kit as eircom do in Rathmines. So a fail with eircom is a fail with everyone.

Anyway, waiting a couple of weeks should do the trick. I can't see a new line being installed in Rathmines failing outright. And definitely disconnect the extensions if you can, I've an amber line which is exactly 4 miles long and while it works perfectly in the master socket, it won't quite sync on the extension socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Depending on where you are you might be close enough to the BT Exchange in D6W . I would call BT and ask them based on your location and maybe a neighbours telephone number how would they provide service.

BT have 40 or so exchanges unbundled in Ireland ..which means they have their own kit in the exchange along side the Eircom one. so the only thing Eircom provide on a BT DSL line is the copper to your gaff.

Also you should have waited a bit like the others advised... I had a place in kildare that failed for 3 weeks before working.

Failing that Clearwire, IBB or a 3G card are your only options ....there is always 56K dial up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm about 98% sure the line has to be connected before they can definitely test it.

Is it a brand new line or an old one being reconnected?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

An old fashioned letter to the Eircom CEO has been proven on here to work miracles many times. You could mention in it casually that due to your boards.ie 'involvement' you badly need it etc etc.

Written courteously but forcefully I would be amazed if they did not look after you within a very short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

DeVore your only hope of getting DSL is ringing eircom up again and getting your line reconnected. You will have to pay and i seriously doubt they will give you any guarantee or not charge you if it fails. Remember they do not need to provide dsl on your line. Wait the 2-3 weeks and see it the line passes as their system does take this time to update. If it doesn't it could be down to the internal wiring in your house. Either way getfing it reconnected is your only hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 joey2thec

Hey, so glad I just found this thread I've been dealing with these problems for over 6 months now and hasn't really bothered me as I've been renovating the house, but now I'm nearly done, anyway here's my issue.

Back in June got all clear for phone and bb.

Engineer discovered I was on a carrier line and that a new line would have to be brought up to the house from 2 miles away.

Months and many engineers later I was told this was now done and that it only had to be connected to my line at the end of my driveway.

Months later this was now done, bought a eircom bb pack in harveys and even got a free game, a friend works there and told me how rewards are usually offered as re-sellers get a nice chunk from eircom.

Anyway about 4-6 weeks after turning on the bb on my line and even getting another modem in the post, my dsl wont sync. I thought it was sky, tried every which way of connecting filters etc and still not syncing.

Engineer then came out and told me i was 9 miles from the main junction box and I would be very lucky to ever get broadband through dsl.

So here I am now, I have found out that there is a new testing device in eircom to test dsl ability and there is only one and he works on the southside very rarely on the north. However I am also pretty sure some of my neighbours have broadband too so surely I should also.

Does anyone have any ideas for me ? I have digiweb coming out and testing my signal strength for wireless but I would prefer not to go down this route and also I will have multi-room and the Voip through digiwebs modem probably wont work for callbacks and so multiroom may have to be cancelled..

If anyone can give me any ideas of where to turn next I would be eternally grateful as I've had it up to my TITs at this stage ! :mad:
    Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

joey2thec wrote: »
    Hey, so glad I just found this thread I've been dealing with these problems for over 6 months now and hasn't really bothered me as I've been renovating the house, but now I'm nearly done, anyway here's my issue.

Back in June got all clear for phone and bb.

Engineer discovered I was on a carrier line and that a new line would have to be brought up to the house from 2 miles away.

Months and many engineers later I was told this was now done and that it only had to be connected to my line at the end of my driveway.

Months later this was now done, bought a eircom bb pack in harveys and even got a free game, a friend works there and told me how rewards are usually offered as re-sellers get a nice chunk from eircom.

Anyway about 4-6 weeks after turning on the bb on my line and even getting another modem in the post, my dsl wont sync. I thought it was sky, tried every which way of connecting filters etc and still not syncing.

Engineer then came out and told me i was 9 miles from the main junction box and I would be very lucky to ever get broadband through dsl.

So here I am now, I have found out that there is a new testing device in eircom to test dsl ability and there is only one and he works on the southside very rarely on the north. However I am also pretty sure some of my neighbours have broadband too so surely I should also.

Does anyone have any ideas for me ? I have digiweb coming out and testing my signal strength for wireless but I would prefer not to go down this route and also I will have multi-room and the Voip through digiwebs modem probably wont work for callbacks and so multiroom may have to be cancelled..

If anyone can give me any ideas of where to turn next I would be eternally grateful as I've had it up to my TITs at this stage ! :mad:
    Thanks !

how did you get them to put in a new line... instead of the carrier one... did you have to pay extra...

this is the reason I can't get it is because I'm on split line..

• Advertisement

Funny cos that was the easy part, I was a new customer and told them I might sign up on the business side of things and need Bb so they got to work although it took 6 months about 7 engineers and me explaining to each one the story about carrier lines, need Bb etc. I'd ring them up and ask them to explain why they aren't prepared to fix this for you but are for other customers .good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Theres a graph here showing ADSL speeds over distance...

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/internet/home_adsl/extreme/

[scroll down a bit]

9Km is just too far.

Try and find a wireless provider in your area instead - you will have more chance of getting broadband that way.

Thanks snaga, already booked in for digiweb to test my house for reception, would prefer wired obviously, and the download limits arent as high. Most importantly though Ive heard that the voice VOIP for calls doesn't work for sky call backs for multiroom although the more research I do on it, the greyer the area becomes... ;(

Why cant they just build me a new exchange ! haha

Advertisement