Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

backdated rent allowance??

• 19-11-2008 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been renting for past few months and just applying for rent allowance now-is it possible to get it backdated?
    I would have been entitled to it for last few months anyway.
    Anyone have any advice or info?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭cadburys

what do I need for that? Receipts?

ok.. and how much do u receive per week?
    sorry about all the questions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zenn

Hi...

You will definately get back the amount. I did that recetly and got my cheque last week.
    But I would advice you to ring them in tax office and chase them up with it as they are lazy and they made quite a mess earlier when i applied.

Zenn

I was under the impression that u had to pay 13e of your rent and they pay the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh, I was posting about rent relief.
    I see you asked about rent allowance.

www.welfare.ie has all the info you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 LittleRose

I think you mean Rent Supplement from the HSE as opposed to Rental Tax Relief from Revenue. You will only be backdated to the date you made the application. I'm not sure of the rules for the past year but it used to be that you had to apply to your local City / County Council to be put on a housing list before you qualified for Rent Supp.

The amount you get per week depends on where in the country you live and what the Rental Caps in your area are (Community Welfare Officer in your local Health Centre can tell you this and also take your application). And also, whether you are living in shared accommodation. For instance, if the rental cap in your area for a single person is E110, you cannot have rent of more than this per week. If you are granted Rent Supp, you will pay the first E13 and they pay the rest.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

Ya, you still apply to city/county council. Call in & make appointment to see housing officer who will give you letter saying you are eligible. Then fill up forms & get landlord to sign it. You need to take all that to your community welfare officer for approval.

You won't get backpaid as you didn't apply all along. They see it as you must have been able to afford it if you didnt apply.If you had applied & there was problem with application which held up the payment then you probably would have been backdated.

could i apply for backdated tax relief on rent as well as rent supplement?
    ie-the €400 per year amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

tax reliefs are offset against income tax you pay, i.e. PAYE so unless you have been working & paying tax then, no you can't claim it.

Advertisement