Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

I think people who have issues over the rally on bank holiday weekend should contact the rally organisers to view your points across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

How do other big rallies deal with the issue?
    Is there any reason why this rally attracts more wallys? Does it attract more wallys?
    Was it worse this year then other yrs?
    What happened in 2001?
    Is there a culture of going to the town on this date, rally or not to go nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

abceire wrote: »
    How do other big rallies deal with the issue?
    Is there any reason why this rally attracts more wallys? Does it attract more wallys?
    Was it worse this year then other yrs?
    What happened in 2001?
    Is there a culture of going to the town on this date, rally or not to go nuts?

The other events which have trouble are the Donegal International (feb) and Galway International (june). The only thing the event organisers can do is pay for Garda overtime and disassociate themselves from the boy racers. Galway has had particularly violent/bad trouble over the years. Donegal has had problems too. Tramore, Bundoran and Bangor are all invaded by 'cruisers' all summer.

The boy racers flock to Killarney because: its a summer bank holiday, the town is seen as great craic to go drinking in and the territory makes it impossible for Gardai to police them.

Personally I thought it was a little better than other years, but not much. There were more cars confiscated this year (15 i think) as a direct result of undercover garda surveillance than other years which is good, but its still only a drop in the ocean.

2001 there was no rally but the boy racers came anyway in just as big numbers and caused the same havoc maybe even worse because of the lack of extra gardai paid for by the motor club.

These guys and girls have little if anything to do with the rally. 'The Cruise' in Killarney the may bank hol is one of the biggest in the country. The rally and town suffer as a result.

Invaded, wow ok nice language.
    Good point, these people will come rally or not. So it going on with no one paying for extra police it might be worse.
    These cruises have been going on for years and years, I remember hearing about them when I was a teenager.
    !5 cars is probably quite a few, most people at the cruise are probably just standing around watching some wally do donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

heard last night a few tool bags went into a green area of a holiday home and started doing donuts on the grass.totally destroyed the lawn.the people that own the house only seen the damage Tuesday evening

• Advertisement

Totally destroyed! The words are so emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,287 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Totally destroyed! The words are so emotional.

They hardly improved it and set a few flower beds for them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

just my twq cent worth on the rally weekend/boy racer debate.I travel the Killarney /Cork road 5 nights per week in a truck Have no alternative route as i must stop in Killarney on my return journey On Friday night at 12.30 am i was bang in the middle of the "action"from county bounds to Kly There were literally hundreds of souped up motors driving both lanes-others were parked up at various locations Ocasionally the traffic would stop by arrangement[mobile phone] and the donuts would begin A Garda on motorbike was driving the white line between the lanes so obviously when he moved up or down the road "donuts"began It took me 25 mins to travel from county bounds to Kly so no major hold-up.Anyway heres what i thought-i found a group of mostly "young" men and women who love their noisy cars and love to congregate in groups to drive them As i had both front windows open i spoke with loads of these people as i drove slowly through I found the majority were well mannered /well behaved people from all over Ireland who were in Kly for weekend {rally or no rally} Yes a few were inebriated and a few were vulgar but such is the way in any group i never felt intimidated in any way (one guy was singing his heart out through a megafone at JR spares at Crosstown) Agroup of said boy racers meet here every Friday night !As i drove home Farranfore/C/island and Tralee had smaller groups doing exactly the same Gardai were active in each town Soms posts here are sensationalised as if groups of dangerous criminals were let loose There are "lunatics " in every town every day and night I thought the occasion was well handled by Gardai My mate from Cork was in Kly for weekend and said he had a great weekend with his young family

Ok but as an ex greenkeeper, it's only grass it'll grow back it's not like they beat people up and that.

Ok but as an ex greenkeeper, it's only grass it'll grow back it's not like they beat people up and that.

That's ok so, we'll do a few in your lawn and see how you like it.

• Advertisement

Ah I know I'd be well p d off, I'm just trying to point out the reaction to what is litter and grass etc, like there is dangerous criminals on the loose. A bit of perspective. The rally had plus points and negative points. It seems people can't see so much it's a gray area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Man in a Sweater

Biker will be coming to Killarney this June bank holliers weekend, you ready for the sons of anarchy!

Biker will be coming to Killarney this June bank holliers weekend, you ready for the sons of anarchy!

Middle aged and retired lads that can afford Harleys, they'll really rip the place apart.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Man in a Sweater

and be in bed by 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Any advice on the best TD to contact in regards to an issue with education?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

PLL wrote: »

Well FG are in power at the moment, so I'd start there.

Are you sure it's an issue for a TD though?

Maybe throw up some details and someone might know a better approach than going the TD route?

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Well FG are in power at the moment, so I'd start there.

Are you sure it's an issue for a TD though?

Maybe throw up some details and someone might know a better approach than going the TD route?

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it is about the student grant authority. They are refusing to accept an application from me as an Independent, as I wasn't 23 on 1st January (I was 23 on the 26th January). Due to myself unfortunately being born 26 days too late they want to assess me as a dependent, through my father's wage even though he hasn't supported me in 3 years. My partner has been working to support me and our 2 year old daughter since May 2011, but the grant authority refuse to acknowledge this because of the not being 23 on Jan 1st rule.

My father refuses to cooperate as it will mean a loss of a €3000 grant for us and is not giving me his PPS number so I can't apply through him. We have had fantastic support in the past from local TD's in Tipperary (where my father lives) so this is the reason for the request.

I'm aware asking a grant authority to bend the rules for me and treat me as a 'special case' just because their rules are ridiculous is a long shot. However, my father is a determined man and knows how much we need this money to pay for my daughter's creche alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Not Ruari Quinn anyway :D

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Not Ruari Quinn anyway :D

:D

There has been some amount of abuse aimed towards that man in our house over the last 36 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

Brendan Cronin or Tom Fleming I would suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it is about the student grant authority. They are refusing to accept an application from me as an Independent, as I wasn't 23 on 1st January (I was 23 on the 26th January). Due to myself unfortunately being born 26 days too late they want to assess me as a dependent, through my father's wage even though he hasn't supported me in 3 years. My partner has been working to support me and our 2 year old daughter since May 2011, but the grant authority refuse to acknowledge this because of the not being 23 on Jan 1st rule.

My father refuses to cooperate as it will mean a loss of a €3000 grant for us and is not giving me his PPS number so I can't apply through him. We have had fantastic support in the past from local TD's in Tipperary (where my father lives) so this is the reason for the request.

I'm aware asking a grant authority to bend the rules for me and treat me as a 'special case' just because their rules are ridiculous is a long shot. However, my father is a determined man and knows how much we need this money to pay for my daughter's creche alone.

Sounds like a really crappy situation.

As I said earlier if I was in your situation I'd go with Brendan Griffin - given he is the only TD from Kerry South who is in power at the moment. [There is a reason they call it "in power" after all ;)]

Don't know much about him but he does have a constituency office on New Street [ just by Charlie Foleys] I'd recommend going face-to-face in a case like this as opposed to doing business via email - in a case like this being their in the flesh as opposed to just a name on an email would make your case more alive to whoever you are dealing with.

Maybe bring along the young one as well :P ; also if you can casually drop a mention of a large number of friends/relatives/workmates in the constituency into the conversation that would probably make helping you more appealing to whoever you do approach. Stress that you came to them because they are in power and you heard that they are great man to get results (nothing like a bit of plamasing) ;)

Tom Flemming and Michael Healy Rae are the other 2 TDs from Kerry South at the moment but are both independents, though originally of FF stock. I'd avoid them personally at first mainly because I'd have more faith in whoever is in power than those sitting on the opposition benches to get things done, even though the Healy-Raes whole operation seems based on the scratch my back and I'll scratch yours but I wouldnt be surprised if after promising the earth, moon and the stars they failed to deliver in the end. If Griffin doesn't get a result you can always get one of them a call later anyway.

Also with the locals on you could probably mention it to any canvassers but I would think the odds of getting anything achieved by local politicians as opposed to TDs wouldnt be all that great. The likelihood of a local politician getting it sorted before the election takes place is probably small at this stage (so the chances of them getting your vote as thanks aren't great either), especially given their focus will all be on canvassing at the moment. A TD will have more time at the moment and will also know if they get a result for you that the likelihood of getting a vote (if not multiple votes) come election time (which is going to be within the next 2 years time at most) is very high. If you do go with Griffin, make sure to mention it to any FG candidates that come knocking. Explain to them that you went to Griffin as you felt this was more of a national issue and that with the election on anyway you knew they'd be busy, but if they could maybe have a word with him you'd appreciate it as well. When you get in touch with Griffin again after you can tell them you mentioned it to whoever called from FG just to put a little bit more pressure on.

The only other thing I can think of that might possibly be of some help is the Citizens Information Board. However I would try the TD approach first.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

KNP Education Centre are holding a Family Nature Day!
    Join us for a FREE family nature fun day in Killarney National Park on the 17th May. There will be a variety of ecology based activities to suit 5 to12 year olds and of course parents. The event will run from 10 to 2.30 and booking is essential as places are limited. Please book by ringing 064 6635960.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

County does not revolve around Killarney

It is a pity that many dont appreciate fully what a precious asset Killarney is to the County, Country and the World!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

County does not revolve around Killarney

It is a pity that many dont appreciate fully what a precious asset Killarney is to the County, Country and the World!

That fella sounds like he is on one hell of a power trip! My way or the highway. How do these people get elected in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Can anyone recommend a good clean and safe dog boarding kennels in the Killarney area please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Oliverdog wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good clean and safe dog boarding kennels in the Killarney area please?

Lahard Lodge Kennels, they are out in Listry though. Friend of mine used them and he seemed pretty happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Any idea what they're doing to the car park at the top of High St? Looks like a new entrance or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Hearing of a serious motorbike accident on The Gap tonight. Woman seriously injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

That's terrible, hope she pulls through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Can anyone suggest a good restaurant in killarney for a weekday lunch and when I say good I don't mean cheap and cheerful I mean more restaurant quality than cafe.

Advertisement