Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I see the quality hotel has changed its name....Hotel Killarney...? must be newly taken over, could do with a makeover on the outside!

Yep and Darby O'Gill's is now Torc Hotel both under new management so good things ahead for both hopefully.

As for the bikers I had 3 of them come over to me in Tesco asking me to show them where the digestive biscuits where so they could have some with their tea. Lovely fellas, as another said, don't judge a book by it's cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

PLL wrote: »
    Yep and Darby O'Gill's is now Torc Hotel both under new management so good things ahead for both hopefully.

As for the bikers I had 3 of them come over to me in Tesco asking me to show them where the digestive biscuits where so they could have some with their tea. Lovely fellas, as another said, don't judge a book by it's cover.

l heard of Torc hotel recentley and was thinking alrite l never heard of the hotel before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

l heard of Torc hotel recentley and was thinking alrite l never heard of the hotel before :pac:

Even still I think of the Plaza as the 3 Lakes, have to stop every single time I go to mention it.

Also I'm busy trying to think what was the name of Darby O'Gills before it was Darby O'Gills?

Showing my age a bit here but I think we need to start a campaign that hotels in town arent allowed change their name as it's too confusing for locals especially as we get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Bikefest yet again was a great festival.. would like to have more stalls though. some amazing bikes. The atmosphere in town was lovely & relaxed for a bank holiday. Living here 7 years & am embrassed to say until today I have never been to brickeen bridge or Muckross Abbey... it was fabulous..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

dove2011 wrote: »
    Bikefest yet agsi was a great festival...

Not over yet. Guns n roses about to rock the INEC!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Even still I think of the Plaza as the 3 Lakes, have to stop every single time I go to mention it.

Also I'm busy trying to think what was the name of Darby O'Gills before it was Darby O'Gills?

Showing my age a bit here but I think we need to start a campaign that hotels in town arent allowed change their name as it's too confusing for locals especially as we get older.

Two Mile Inn :-)

It is even more confusing for blow-ins. My oh and his family are from here and it took awhile before I realised there was no Ryan Hotel but that what they were calling the Ryan was actually the Quality, oh and now Hotel Killarney. No doubt it will continue to be called the Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

You must be very young so.:D

The previous Torc Hotel was just to the left before the Railway Bridge as you come into town (opposite where McDonalds is now). It was part of the Great Southern Hotel Group and was very distinctive looking, I recall as a child thinking it was very American looking. I wonder if there are any pictures of it around still. It had an interesting history.

It has been a vacant site for quite a few years now. I think plans were made for for shops/development etc but the recession put paid to all that.

I remember the Two Mile Inn as well. Really showing my age now!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

showing my age aswell:o
    but i learned how to swim in the torc hotel back in the early 80's,i remember there being a good deep-end in the pool where you were allowed to dive in.... what is it about pools these days that they dont allow you to dive in anymore?

where abouts is ballaugh? whats the walking distance from town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

As in out towards Barraduff. Your talking a good 45 mins if it's the place I'm thinking of, if not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

There is also a townland in Beaufort call Ballaugh Near the road into Carrantouhill.

Enjoy the walk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

ballaugh starts about half a mile or so past darby o gills(torc hotel....two mile inn:D)and goes on beyond o'sullivan motors mazda garage....i would say the mazda garage is 4 miles from town

thanks guys, il just have to forget about it...too long a walk

ls that lingerie shop in the outlet centre still open?

:o

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about a new tattoo studio opening?

New tattoo shop open down the lane next to the Dunloe Lodge, upstairs where the sex shop used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

used to go to Horans back in the sixties when I worked on building of Pretty Polly, is it still there ?

stanley1 wrote: »
    used to go to Horans back in the sixties when I worked on building of Pretty Polly, is it still there ?

Horans in Tralee is there. No Horans in Killarney, only the Horans Fruit and Veg shop. Pretty Polly not there anymore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Was there a Horans bar where Mcsorleys is now?

Axel Lamp wrote: »

It was always McSorleys for me but I'm only 25 so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Axel Lamp wrote: »

Dont think it was Horans but it was anightclub owned by Seamus Kiely befofe he sold it to Bowlers who then sold it to Pat Sheehan

• Advertisement

does anyone know round what time gift shops in killarney close today?? l need to get a gift thats something to do with kerry, but wont be in town til late :/

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

I see the quality hotel has changed its name....Hotel Killarney...? must be newly taken over, could do with a makeover on the outside!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/crimmins-harvest-quality-hotel-267811.html

A farming family from East Cork are the new owners it seems!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Sad to see the Killarney bookshop closed down and a new awful Eason opened next door. I loved the nice feel of that very small independent book shop where nearly all of my old childhood books were bought and they'd always give you are free bookmark. Eason just makes Killarney like any another identikit town.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

The owners of Killarney Bookshop now run Easons,, I do agree it is sad to see the book store closed, but I guess sentiment does not come into business, and I hope another enterprise will move into the now empty bookstore soon..just hope it will not be another coffee shop or betting shop..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    The owners of Killarney Bookshop now run Easons,, I do agree it is sad to see the book store closed, but I guess sentiment does not come into business, and I hope another enterprise will move into the now empty bookstore soon..just hope it will not be another coffee shop or betting shop..

oh thats a silver lining to the story at least, I thought it was a case of the big corporate bully coming in and squeezing out the little guy.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Sad to see the Killarney bookshop closed down and a new awful Eason opened next door. I loved the nice feel of that very small independent book shop where nearly all of my old childhood books were bought and they'd always give you are free bookmark. Eason just makes Killarney like any another identikit town.

That eason store is owned and operated by the same people that the bookshop was owned by :) Killarney bookshop had got a little tired and cramped looking anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Anyone know the reason for the fireworks in town last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Was thinking it could only be the Malton, Jaysus some racket at that time of night though! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

How o how were they allowed to do that at that time of night? From our place it sounded like an artillery strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,529 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has The Quality Hotel Killarney closed down or been renamed?

Advertisement