Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

madcabbage wrote: »
    There is a way down from the back of the racecourse that'll bring you near the mouth of the Flesk. Very boggy area down there, so bring wellies whatever ya do!

Would the road that goes in at the wishing well be any use here ?

Might that be a shorter/easier route?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Well done to the volunteers i saw cleaning up on Monday along the bypass.
    Anyone have any link to there website.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Looking for recommendations for good hairdresser in Killarney. All info welcome.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Would the road that goes in at the wishing well be any use here ?

Might that be a shorter/easier route?

Are you talking about the bunch of houses that are across the road for the path into the demense? Yes you can, go straight down the back till you meet a fence then follow the path all the way down. There's a bit if big and marsh to go through but you'll figure the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Well done to the volunteers i saw cleaning up on Monday along the bypass.
    Anyone have any link to there website.

http://www.killarneytidytowns.com/volunteer.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

does anyone have any tips for pubs in Killarney with any craft beer (that isn't Crean's lager) on tap? I know Courtney's will definitely have some bottles.

failing draught beer, any tips for any other pub with some bottles in stock or good off-licences will do as well. I've seen Wholesome Fayre mentioned as a stockist for some breweries.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭dobman88

iambrazil wrote: »
    does anyone have any tips for pubs in Killarney with any craft beer (that isn't Crean's lager) on tap? I know Courtney's will definitely have some bottles.

failing draught beer, any tips for any other pub with some bottles in stock or good off-licences will do as well. I've seen Wholesome Fayre mentioned as a stockist for some breweries.

Thanks!

Unfortunately there isn't a good selection of craft beer pubs in Killarney. Only a handful of places would have Smithwicks Pale on tap and maybe a couple of mainstream bottled craft.

Courtneys is your best bet. Widest selection and fair enough prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It's a pity really there's such a limited selection, anytime I go to Cork every pub up there has a ridiculous selection of craft ales and ciders.

siblers wrote: »
    It's a pity really there's such a limited selection, anytime I go to Cork every pub up there has a ridiculous selection of craft ales and ciders.

Killarney is a tiny town. Not surprising there isn't a wider selection. The customer base isn't there on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

I actually sell a lot of craft beers into bars and restaurants,we have a range of over 40 irish craft beers and 100+ world beers,but we may aswell just have stonewell,o'haras and galway hooker....its very rare anyone is interested in anything beyond these, i find its the bars in the bigger towns that are less likely to buy or even enquire about the more unusual beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I actually sell a lot of craft beers into bars and restaurants,we have a range of over 40 irish craft beers and 100+ world beers,but we may aswell just have stonewell,o'haras and galway hooker....its very rare anyone is interested in anything beyond these, i find its the bars in the bigger towns that are less likely to buy or even enquire about the more unusual beers
    It's a sad state of affairs. People religiously sticking to Heineken/Carlsberg/Guinness when there are hundreds of better beers out there and you're a snob or a hipster if you dare to try something different. The Irish psyche I guess :rolleyes:

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It's a sad state of affairs. People religiously sticking to Heineken/Carlsberg/Guinness when there are hundreds of better beers out there and you're a snob or a hipster if you dare to try something different. The Irish psyche I guess :rolleyes:

Whatever about the people sticking to the one drink. What about the pubs that still only have Guinness, Heineken and Harp on tap! There may not be many left but they exist.

Most offies in town have a decent selection of crafts. But I can understand a pubs reluctance to sell a decent craft range. Killarney wouldn't have enough regular craft drinkers imo.

On the whole craft beers thing, was talking to a pub owner a while back (not in Killarney) and he was saying that tourists (especially Yanks) were by far and away his biggest purchasers of Irish craft beers. He was saying that the Americans tend to ask straight away "What are the local beers?" Obviously some will be interested in Guinness but a lot will be interested in something a bit more local.

You would think that in Killarney that there would surely be at least a market for one pub to claim ownership of the Irish craft beer share of the market, off the back of the number of tourists passing through. Courtney's look best placed, looking at the list of beers available on the website, but maybe they could do with increasing their marketing/advertising around this whole area and bumping up the number of Irish choices available even if it was something as simple as sticking a sign out the front of the door with "Killarney's number 1 craft beer bar" sign or having some craft beer events on during the quieter months to create awareness of Courtney as the craft beer spot in Killarney.

You would think somewhere like Bricin would be a place that should be selling Irish craft beers - maybe there's licensing issues - actually I wonder how do Wholesome Fayre get around this.

http://www.courtneysbar.com/Speciality_Beers_files/Courtneys%20Drinks%20Menu.pdf

dobman88 wrote: »
    Whatever about the people sticking to the one drink. What about the pubs that still only have Guinness, Heineken and Harp on tap! There may not be many left but they exist.

Most offies in town have a decent selection of crafts. But I can understand a pubs reluctance to sell a decent craft range. Killarney wouldn't have enough regular craft drinkers imo.

I think if you are running a bar based on regular local trade the price of craft beers is a major issue.

In terms of price per ml you're not that far off most craft beers being something like 50% more the price of something like Guinness or Heineken. Customers see this as pretty much paying extra for less, which is always going to be a hard sell to regular customers.

If you have a trade largely based on tourists on holiday, you have a group of people who are already in a zone of paying money for special experiences and who are a lot less likely to be as price sensitive - for them they are drinking an Irish beer in a Irish pub on their holidays, which is a different experience to a local who is simply in for a pint.

I think with the regular flow of tourists through certain pubs would make Killarney a spot where you could make money selling Irish craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

just a quick update to say that I went to five pubs in Killarney on Saturday and had some nice beers in four of them. Scott's were selling Stonewell cider, O'Connor's had O'Hara's IPA and some other bottles, Charlie Foley's had some more Stonewell and of course Courtney's had lots. It was a lot better than I expected!

Sheahan's off licence also had a decent selection including some London beers I was really surprised to see.

Whats the story with the jarveys accents can anyone tell me?

Whats the story with the jarveys accents can anyone tell me?

Any more info than "accents"? Country, foreign, Scottish?

Do you think they are putting the accent on to "Irish themselves up"? I thought this myself. It must be what they think tourists want. I never really took much notice before until recently when I had a few interactions with them.

I understand that in order for tourists to understand them(us/kerry people) better they(we) have to speak slower and clearer,i do it myself when i have to, but whatever concoction of accent is put on by the jarveys is very unusual...i'm not sure what it is,its a bit like an american actor trying to put on an irish accent... for some reason it drives me simple when i hear it....apologies to any jarveys or american actors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Does anyone know of anywhere selling the vintage/retro style Kerry jerseys? Debenhams in Tralee used to have them a few years back but don't have them any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Countless fine, sunny days and I never once saw a checkpoint. Then on the first day of rain out are our Traffic Corp holding a check-point :)

Well, ^^^ Aside from that one Traffic Corp dude on the motorbike who I saw spend most of his time chatting to people he had pulled over, than riding like in 'Heartbeat' (60's tv show).

Nice to see I must say,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Anyone know if the Good Friends Chinese restaurant on New Street has closed down? Or are they just closed for holidays?

Toxica wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Good Friends Chinese restaurant on New Street has closed down? Or are they just closed for holidays?

Was wondering the same myself. Been closed for nearly a month now. Walk past it on the way home every day. By far the best Chinese in town with the friendliest staff. Hope whatever problems they're having don't last for them

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

dobman88 wrote: »
    Was wondering the same myself. Been closed for nearly a month now. Walk past it on the way home every day. By far the best Chinese in town with the friendliest staff. Hope whatever problems they're having don't last for them

Yeah, it was my favourite Chinese restaurant, I hope they reopen soon.

Toxica wrote: »
    Yeah, it was my favourite Chinese restaurant, I hope they reopen soon.

A big "To let" sign is up on the building. Prime retail unit it says. Disappointing to see that. And they just closed overnight too. Hope everything is ok with the family that ran it cos they were lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

anyone know of and could recommend a good dj in the Killarney area for a 21 St. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

ciaeim wrote: »
    anyone know of and could recommend a good dj in the Killarney area for a 21 St. Thanks

PM me,Might be able to sort this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Really looking forward to the Lord Of The Rings inspired pub The Shire, it's opening on Saturday. Hopefully get to call in Saturday night.
    https://www.facebook.com/TheShireKillarney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Anyone know why the public lighting from Lissivigeen Roundabout to the Torc Hotel (formerly Darby O'Gills) isn't on anymore?

• Advertisement

What are peoples thoughts on this "killarney memory tree"?
    Personally i think its in very bad taste

Advertisement